IGNORED

My Swing (cipher)

cipher
Note: This thread is 867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, cipher said:

Maybe one day I can even put a fairway wood back in the bag. 😂

Just buy one more hybrid, you hit that really good!!! 

Glad to see you back at the game again. It was fun playing golf with you up in Wisconsin! 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
25 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Just buy one more hybrid, you hit that really good!!! 

Glad to see you back at the game again. It was fun playing golf with you up in Wisconsin! 

Yeah I really like that Hybrid for sure. I like that you can flatten the lie angle of the G410s. I will probably mess with a G410 5w and loft it down to near a 4w. It was a blast getting to play some golf with you this past week Matt. It has been way too long since we were able to meet up for that. I was super happy that you were able to make this trip!

On another note I went to the range tonight and had very good results adding a little "throw" to the downswing. I did not hit a single ball out of the bottom of the driver. I am super happy with the results as I was hitting the ball much higher. Now I just need to repeat that. 

Edited by cipher

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Working with my instructor on some simple grip and setup issues. I actually shortened my driver shaft and regripped with the same grip(gotta love pure grips) after testing some things out. I then added a bit of throw in the DS as mentioned in the last post to get some nice high ball flights with lots of carry and no more bottom half strikes. I am really liking the extension post impact, might need to work on the upper center getting a bit more forward but good progress for now. I don't need as much of a Bubba move as @saevel25 pointed out that I had at SV to counter an over rotating clubface. This will be counted as my yearly swing thread post with video. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

710D7F6F-2226-4F2A-B1BB-C48A3AA910DF.jpeg

New irons. I will probably swap out the 4 with a CB utility iron as things get cooler here, but so far I really like them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nate

Matched my best round of the year this morning and also at the same time could not be more frustrated with my driver swing and realize I don know $*!# about the golf swing. Other than that all is well.  🤣

Nate

1 minute ago, cipher said:

Matched my best round of the year this morning and also at the same time could not be more frustrated with my driver swing and realize I don know $*!# about the golf swing. Other than that all is well.  🤣

Yep, that's the pain you signed up for when you became a golfer...

• 2 weeks later...

I was finally able to play Erin Hills. I played this morning and it was a gorgeous day. I shot a fairly decent 84 with a birdie on the very long and intimidating 18. It has some really small greens and they are very tough to hit and hold and even if you do they are easy to three putt. I wasn't a fan of them and the person who set the pins today must have been in a very bad mood. There are a decent number of blind shots out there but most are off the tee and you can usually see the start of the fairway and have an idea where to play pretty easily. They would also have spotters stationed to help you find your ball on each of those holes as well. A caddie is pretty much necessary out here. I really enjoyed the contours and slopes of this course. It is a lot of fun. It's just too bad the green are so...ridiculous. I am not sure if I will play here as much(or even again) as I will play the Sand Valley resort but it was worth playing at least once and the hole layouts are so unique. It is worth playing at least once for sure.

Here are a few photos of holes 10,12,15&18 in that order:

Spoiler

Erin1.jpg

Erin2.jpg

Erin3.jpg

Erin4.jpg

• Like 2

Nate

Some great video of the holes if anyone wants to see how they look. 12 was probably my favorite hole.  16 was very tough and making a par there was very rewarding. Hit my 6 iron to the back of the green. 

• Like 1

Nate

(edited)

In three of the photos you can see some of the crazy pin placements.

Pin was on the very right edge of the green on 10:

F55A5F3B-FCAC-4B39-902C-B8EC60B2A157.jpeg

Leave it long at all on 12 and you have a severe downhill putt. 3 putt for me here:

FC41EC0E-D68D-4551-B14D-699927698CA0.jpeg

Pin way at the back, but don’t go long. Miss the green long and you are in a hazard on 15:
843A3F0C-FD6B-4242-A482-3CC5A240B385.jpeg

Edited by cipher

Nate

Do you think it was a hard pins day or do they just place a few US Open-style pins out there everyday?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I’ve played that course many times on the WGT game. It looks even more beautiful in the photos.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Do you think it was a hard pins day or do they just place a few US Open-style pins out there everyday?

I think it was just a really hard pins day. The caddie mentioned he had not seen that many difficult pin positions in one round before. He was surprised a bit at the way I would approach the greens and how I managed the pin positions in that way. He said most people just fire away at the pins but don't have the ability to really do so. So I told him about LSW.  

On another note, since this is my swing thread I'll just add this here about the current state of my game. I'm around a 8 handicap which I feel like I could easily improve that right now with a little more driver work because I am really close with that. After shortening the club and really focusing on more on maintaining left wrist extension in the backswing and a downswing little throw move I am getting the center of the face out to the ball so much more often. I only hit one drive off the toe yesterday. My irons right now are almost as good as I think I can be, the little throw move in the DS has my irons on the intended starting line better than ever. My chipping and pitching is coming along a little. I've found some things to make it marginally better and resolve some of my low point issues. I putt like a 20 handicap and I can't find a grip/stance or stroke that I like or is comfortable. I hardly spend any time practicing putting because enjoy it so little, but I need to probably spend a few hours a week figuring this out. It is especially noticeable when I play on very fast greens like yesterday . 

• Thumbs Up 1

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

I just completed a PXG driver fitting and it was a pretty amazing experience. I wasn't pushed into any crazy shaft options, or anything like that. I did pay a little more for one thing, but asked for it. I will talk about that and all the specs with photos when I get the club. My fitter truly listened to the input I had which was mainly about how I struggle understanding where the face is with drivers now days and why that is for me. He fit me into a setup that felt great to me and performed very well for me. I just asked for more consistency but we found that with about 15 yards of extra carry as well. I feel like he truly wanted to find something that worked for me and I think we did. I will probably go back in the spring to do a fairway wood fitting. I highly recommend their fitting service.   

• Thumbs Up 3

Nate

I actually just got an email with my exact specs, so I'll share them now so it doesn't get so lost in the photos when I get the driver, which is 2-3 weeks out anyway from me actually receiving it looks like. 

Head: 0811XF Gen4 12 degree. Lofted down to 10.5 to open the face.  

Head Weights:  Front-2.5g, Heel-10g, Back-20g. It did cost me a little more but not much for the heavier weight option.

Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 70-TX. I don't know much about this shaft other than it is low launch, low spin, fairly heavy at 77g and extra stiff. It is also going to be shortened to 43.5".  I was surprised that he actually had this length to test with, because you can't order this short of a shaft online. I think the shaft costed me about $100 more.

My all in price looks like it was about $530.

I am not sure what all this means exactly because I am not really a gear junkie, but my understanding is...it's heavy. He said in the E swing weight range heavy. If you can share more about this setup with me please do. I absolutely love the feel of it though, as I have never liked lightweight drivers. I will attach the photos in a few weeks or so when I get it.  

I won't even bag my G410 driver over the next few weeks until I get this club. 

Nate

20 minutes ago, cipher said:

Head: 0811XF Gen4 12 degree. Lofted down to 10.5 to open the face.  

Head Weights:  Front-2.5g, Heel-10g, Back-20g. It did cost me a little more but not much for the heavier weight option.

Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 70-TX. I don't know much about this shaft other than it is low launch, low spin, fairly heavy at 77g and extra stiff. It is also going to be shortened to 43.5".  I was surprised that he actually had this length to test with, because you can't order this short of a shaft online. I think the shaft costed me about $100 more.

Mine is the 08111X+ XF Proto, weight is back center, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70-TX at 45.5". 

I really like this set up. The Tensei CK Pro Blue really took out the strange right shot I would get on some toe-ish mishits. This version of the Tensei CK Pro selection is a Mid-Launch with Mid-Low Spin. A too aggressive golf shaft tends to spin way to low for me. 

I don't think I gained more distance versus my other drive, but it is way more consistent in terms of dispersion. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Mine is the 08111X+ XF Proto, weight is back center, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70-TX at 45.5". 

I really like this set up. The Tensei CK Pro Blue really took out the strange right shot I would get on some toe-ish mishits. This version of the Tensei CK Pro selection is a Mid-Launch with Mid-Low Spin. A too aggressive golf shaft tends to spin way to low for me. 

I don't think I gained more distance versus my other drive, but it is way more consistent in terms of dispersion. 

Do you use it much or are you using the Epic mostly? The only thing I really saw when he was doing the fitting was the Tensei in blue and white on the shafts. I know I tried both of those and a couple others in which I have no idea what they are. Haha. I could tell that the white shaft was best for me based on the ball flight. It was nice to do the fitting outside. 

Nate

32 minutes ago, cipher said:

Do you use it much or are you using the Epic mostly?

No, it’s my primary driver now.

I think the tense I white and blue are really close. I have a tense I white in my hybrid and don’t see much issue. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!