IGNORED

My Swing (cipher)

cipher
Note: This thread is 876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 hours ago, cipher said:

@DeadMan It is one of four ranges I go to, usually it is a little better.  They mainly have mats there but I prefer hitting of grass with my left wrist/hand injuries.  They basically just mow down some grass there.  Mats can be pretty painful at times if they are the wrong kind.  Why don't you just be happy I couldn't do this move back in 2017, instead you beat me down then and are coming at me again now.  😉😂    

Look, I'm just jealous that you can swing a golf club right now, okay? 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Look, I'm just jealous that you can swing a golf club right now, okay? 

Haha, hope that heals up quickly.  Seems like it has kept you out for a bit.  

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

On 9/24/2020 at 5:18 PM, cipher said:

The overtaking, rolling the face in the DS through impact. I've tried to clean this up sooooo many times over the years without ever finding the feel for it. I'm obviously giving it one more shot at this time to do so.

Just weaken the left hand a  few hair. Problem solved. I mean, duh..

Man, I'm getting so good at these drive- bys. 😋

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

Man, I'm getting so good at these drive- bys. 😋

Haha.  V, that problem was sooooo two weeks ago.  😉

C119D941-4EF6-49E3-A8B9-6FC8D3D0DA99.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

11 hours ago, cipher said:

You look like you are on the right track. I’ve worked on this a lot. For me, I’ve found that if I go with the feel of trying to fade the ball by keeping the face open “after” impact, I get better results. I keep the back and downswing the same. Doing partial swings help.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Says the man who addresses the ball with the clubface 40° closed 😜

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

31 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You look like you are on the right track. I’ve worked on this a lot. For me, I’ve found that if I go with the feel of trying to fade the ball by keeping the face open “after” impact, I get better results. I keep the back and downswing the same. Doing partial swings help.

Yeah I am just going to keep at this and not doing anything else in the downswing until I have this down completely, until I can do it time after time. The ball flight results are much more consistent, I think my one tendency that shows up in the long irons is to leave the face slightly open and hit a bad push cut as I swing left. That seems to be improving the more I do this though. I shot a 92 before finding this feel and since have shot a couple 80s in a row, so that is promising.  

Nate

14 minutes ago, cipher said:

The ball flight results are much more consistent, I think my one tendency that shows up in the long irons is to leave the face slightly open and hit a bad push cut as I swing left. 

I know the swing is dynamic, but if you like the cut, be sure to aim the face a little left of 0* and do your normal swing left.  Should give you a nice little pull fade.  Or, if you're wanting to hit it straighter, then don't swing so far left.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I know the swing is dynamic, but if you like the cut, be sure to aim the face a little left of 0* and do your normal swing left.  Should give you a nice little pull fade.  Or, if you're wanting to hit it straighter, then don't swing so far left.

Thanks. I can, will and do some of those things if I need to, I've made a slight face angle and stance adjustment already. Went from more open to almost square with the stance and have squared up the face just a tiny bit more at address since those last swings. I actually take it to an extreme for about 5 balls each range session and hit hooks with them, then 5 balls and try and hit big cuts. The two extremes give some trouble shot options but also allow me to keep feeling and finding the middle ground as well. 

• Like 1

Nate

1 hour ago, cipher said:

Thanks. I can, will and do some of those things if I need to, I've made a slight face angle and stance adjustment already. Went from more open to almost square with the stance and have squared up the face just a tiny bit more at address since those last swings. I actually take it to an extreme for about 5 balls each range session and hit hooks with them, then 5 balls and try and hit big cuts. The two extremes give some trouble shot options but also allow me to keep feeling and finding the middle ground as well. 

How's your start line consistency?  I'm assuming strike is reasonably good.  If you start line is consistent, then it sounds like you're having path issues and that is causing you fits with curvature.  If your start line is not very consistent, then you have a face issue.  I would get on a good launch monitor and dial in start line.  If you do that, then you've got face sorted.  All you need to do from there is work on getting path where you want it to get the curve you want.  To me, other than ball speed, start line is the most important data point to look at.

38 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

How's your start line consistency?  I'm assuming strike is reasonably good.  If you start line is consistent, then it sounds like you're having path issues and that is causing you fits with curvature.  If your start line is not very consistent, then you have a face issue.  I would get on a good launch monitor and dial in start line.  If you do that, then you've got face sorted.  All you need to do from there is work on getting path where you want it to get the curve you want.  To me, other than ball speed, start line is the most important data point to look at.

Best it has ever been for start line.  I'll work with my instructor if the stronger fades keep popping up from time to time.  He'll get it straightened out.  

Nate

15 minutes ago, cipher said:

Best it has ever been for start line.  I'll work with my instructor if the stronger fades keep popping up from time to time.  He'll get it straightened out.  

If that's the case, then it sounds like your path needs some work to get your curve where you want.

16 hours ago, cipher said:

I know. I was of course joking. Just glad you are back out there. One injury to another and all...😊

5 hours ago, billchao said:

Says the man who addresses the ball with the clubface 40° closed 😜

Do as I say, not do as I do now. 😁

And if you were a true friend you would know that its only like.. uhh (buffering...buffering) 38 degs! So there..

• Like 2

Vishal S.

5 hours ago, ncates00 said:

If that's the case, then it sounds like your path needs some work to get your curve where you want.

@ncates00 he is working with an instructor-You could help the people who are not working with an instructor.

In the past few days-You have tried to help @cipher , @RFKFREAK, @Antneye, @Lugowskins, and three of those four are working with instructors or @iacas I think.

There is lots of guys here-That are not working with anyone who might love some help.

• Like 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

@ncates00 he is working with an instructor-You could help the people who are not working with an instructor.

In the past few days-You have tried to help @cipher , @RFKFREAK, @Antneye, @Lugowskins, and three of those four are working with instructors or @iacas I think.

There is lots of guys here-That are not working with anyone who might love some help.

Thanks Phil. Yep, I'm working with the evolvr guys. I was trying to figure out how to politely tell him that and that I also have a pretty solid understanding of ball flight laws. I appreciate the thoughts @ncates00, I just haven't been playing golf consistently the past couple years and so I haven't been around much. I am pretty aware of what I need to do from here though, thank you!

Edited by cipher
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nate

15 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

I do not have an instructor but am planning on doing Evolvr soon. 

12 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

Sure. I get it. However, what’s the point of having a forum then? Work with your instructor and ignore well-intending folks then. Most of my advice has been just simple ball flight laws observations. That won’t interfere with anything an instructor says. Nothing in this thread was swing thoughts or mechanics related.

In some other threads there were some mechanics, like hinging the club up more because the person is so flat. That said, the person posting on a forum has the right to post like I do to respond. They can reject it or accept it. i don’t keep up with who has an instructor and who doesn’t. And it doesn’t matter to me whether they do or not. They should know if they’re paying good money for instruction to just work on that. Simple observations as to ball flight laws doesn’t cross some mystical “over the line” advice you’re implying exists (which no line does exist on a public forum). And even if some advice does go beyond ball flight laws, again, ignore it or not; that’s up to the poster to decide.

No need to referee my comments. 

11 minutes ago, cipher said:

Thanks Phil. Yep, I'm working with the evolvr guys. I was trying to figure out how to politely tell him that and that I also have a pretty solid understanding of ball flight laws. I appreciate the thoughts @ncates00, I just haven't been playing golf consistently the past couple years and so I haven't been around much. I am pretty aware of what I need to do from here though, thank you!

Sure. And like I said in my response above, I merely pointed out simple ball flight laws observations to you. I never said anything mechanical to you as you appear to be a decent player and you mentioned an instructor.

5 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Sure. And like I said in my response above, I merely pointed out simple ball flight laws observations to you. I never said anything mechanical to you as you appear to be a decent player and you mentioned an instructor.

No worries at all. I appreciated the thoughts and thanked you for them as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nate

Note: This thread is 876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!