IGNORED

Hank Haney Project: Michael Phelps Thread

Old1964
Note: This thread is 3984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Having watched a few episodes of the Haney Project with Charles Barkley and Ray Romano, it was obvious that Haney had some special challenges. Barkely was out of shape and battled his notorious glitch. Romano was preoccupied with work, not practicing and was providing the "entertainment value" that the producer's surely had in mind.

However, with Phelps as his student,  he has a young, fit, (and sometimes very mellow) coordinated ultra athlete.

Haney shortened his back swing and then revealed the key making quick improvements - stand there and give him 100 good swings after batting balls for a couple of hours.  Interestingly, he never says what makes those 100 swings "good".

I am convinced that he would be better served by iacas and mvmac and 5 Simple Keys.

What kind of results do you think Phelps is going to experience?

How much of an improvement do you think we will see over the course of the show?

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

I think he would be better served by 5sk, partly because that's a great system, partly because hank Haney uses the wrong ball flight laws. Most of his drills seem to cause misunderstanding with the swing

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

With a goal of only to beat his previous best score of 91, he should kill it. That doesn't strike me as all that aggressive of a goal for a world class athlete.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Holy Moses he is flexible. Did you see the thing he did with the club behind his back? Denzel Washington was too funny. I don't even play and I'm better than Charles Barkley.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Phelps is going to get better because he is going to be playing a lot more.  He is not going to get a lot better because Haney is teaching him.

After watching what Haney tried to do with Barkley, Romano, etc...I do not think Phelps will improve as much as he should.

How far behind is the show?  Meaning, when do they tape it vs. when do they show it.  The reason I ask is because I saw Phelps on TV during the Phoenix Open pro-am and he didn't look too good.  I hope the show is filming now, as opposed to say back in the winter or something, because that would mean its already been spoiled, sort of.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

How far behind is the show?  Meaning, when do they tape it vs. when do they show it.  The reason I ask is because I saw Phelps on TV during the Phoenix Open pro-am and he didn't look too good.  I hope the show is filming now, as opposed to say back in the winter or something, because that would mean its already been spoiled, sort of.

They showed tape of him at the Ryder Cup Pro am.......so late August.  6 months back?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Haney's a hack.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I've never been a fan of Haney, or his teaching methods. I can't imagine Phelps breaking 80 on a regular basis, he's almost too flexiable for the game.

CRUSHER47-- Man, I love your avatar!!!

Phelps looks like he's got the steady head and arms straight going. It didn't look like Haney was making him do the outside inside loop dee loop. His hands do look like they're far from the body at address. He is tall maybe needs to alter the lie angle of his clubs? Haney's lesson to keep him from sucking the clubhead inside made sense too. What the hell do I know, but the first show I can't really take Haney to task. Maybe those more qualified can chime in.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by Old1964

Haney shortened his back swing and then revealed the key making quick improvements - stand there and give him 100 good swings after batting balls for a couple of hours.  Interestingly, he never says what makes those 100 swings "good".

I am convinced that he would be better served by iacas and mvmac and 5 Simple Keys.

What kind of results do you think Phelps is going to experience?

How much of an improvement do you think we will see over the course of the show?

Thanks! I only saw a few segments of the show, I know they're going to replay it a thousand times lol  What stood out to me the most was how he bowed his left wrist and the club worked  inside his hands on the takeaway.  But I only saw a few dtl swings.  If Haney has him doing more a steady head then that's great.

I think he'll get better, he hasn't been playing very long right?  So any practice he does will help him improve.  There are worse things he could be doing than Haney's take it outside and loop it in on the downswing for a relative beginner.  Especially for what I saw.

They say he's a 24 handicap in this video

Originally Posted by nevets88

Phelps looks like he's got the steady head and arms straight going. It didn't look like Haney was making him do the outside inside loop dee loop. His hands do look like they're far from the body at address. He is tall maybe needs to alter the lie angle of his clubs?

Well he's with the right guys now

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

It looked like Phelps was doing the steady head of his own accord. I did see a glimpse of Haney translating him back a tad on the backswing. For a guy just starting out, he looks to have many positives going for him. I bet that he's got a lot of endorsement commitments and I'm guessing he probably doesn't get as much practice as he'd like.

And Haney made him run out of breath. I couldn't believe that. Guy probably has a resting heart rate of 40 and Haney makes him put his hands on his knees. Golf is not an endurance sport!

Steve

The swimming to golf ratio was about 10:1.  Hopefully that flips soon.

It was funny to see when Phelps told Haney he was winded and tired from hitting so many balls.  Put that in the "is golf a sport" thread!

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

With no disrespect to swimming, there was a lot of that. I skipped it. I think it took me 15 minutes to just watch the golf instruction parts. I wonder if NBC rights to the Olympics had anything to do with that.

Steve

Originally Posted by nevets88

It looked like Phelps was doing the steady head of his own accord. I did see a glimpse of Haney translating him back a tad on the backswing.

Ok I gotcha.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Pretty fluff episode, lots of background on Phelps swimming and past encounters with Hank.  It appeared he had a lot of TM in his bag but I know he's now with Ping, wonder how TM and Ping feel about it.

If Phelps gives it an honest effort and Hank can't him to beat his lowest score then it's either a pretty discouraging statement to the rest of us non Olympic athletes or shows how bad an instructor Haney really is.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!