Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The basic grip

2 posts in this topic

I have been struggling with consistency lately and I want to start back at the grip. I realized I had a super strong right hand grip and also a somewhat strong left grip. I AM A LEFTY. I started to make my left hand a little weaker and more on top of the club with my trigger finger down the shaft a little. However it just feels so uncomfortable and I think it is due to my right hand grip being do strong and my thumb is all the way on the side of the grip instead of more on top. I would like to mark my golf glove and hand when I play to make sure I am holding the club properly. I was wondering if anyone else does this and what is the perfect markings on the club and the pressure points. I read somewhere that I should hold the club in right hand with bottom three fingers. Should the right hand be more in fingers or in the heel pad area. Please let me know. I want to start becoming more consistent again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Tough to say for a lefty, because i am a right handed person, thinking backwards like that is not a strong suite :p

For me, i focus on the hand near the butt of the club first, for me the left hand, for you right hand.

I like a stronger grip, if the V's are pointing towards my right cheek to ear, i am close, my right shoulder at most.

So what i do is i take my left hand first, put that on the club, so my thumb runs down just on the right side of the center of the shaft. I make sure the club is supported in the pad of my thumb, the meaty part of the palm just bellow the thumb. This forces the club into the fingers more, than into the palm of the left hand. From there i just place the right hand on the club, so that life lines fit over top of my left hand. Really the two hands fit really good together, its feels natural to me, like the left thumb should fit under the right thumb. (reverse the hands for lefty)

As for pressure points, i believe its the last three fingers of top hand hold most of the pressure in the grip, the bottom hand i have no clue. I never really paid attention to this as much.

I tend to use an overlap grip, though i have intermixed interlocking every once in a while.

As for a more neutral grip, just place the left hand more towards the center, then place the right hand on top. I really focus on what the leading hand is doing (right hand for lefty), then just match it with the right. Its easier to remember this way.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • You can have them tested for lie to see if they are too upright or flat. They won't adjust cast clubs typically because they will likely break, but you can still have them tested. I used to have this done at Dick's SG, but I don't know if they still do it since they got rid of all their pros.
    • If they work well for you then you probably don't need to pick up some new clubs unless you really want to. I would say analyze your game and see where your weaknesses are then see if new clubs would help that issue. For instance having large gaps between clubs or having a consistent miss like always going right/left or thin/heavy.
    • So last night, I dreamed that I was going to play golf. It was back in Ohio (I think), but it occurred to me that I have played this course in my dreams before. It is a course I have never played IRL...
    • I was in your spot a few years ago and started with a RAM setup as I didn't know if I would like golf.  Cost me $200 for the whole 9 yards.  Ended up loving golf and now I have tons of clubs. $300 is not a ton of money for a whole setup if you want to stay away from something similar to what you currently have.  Other posters have put up good ideas for you to follow.  Being a Lefty is what will limit you the most.  If you are not sure if your lengths, lies and grip sizes are correct Ping has a great system to help you find what does fit you and you can always use the info for other clubs.  From a Ping fitting I know that I want 1" longer clubs and 1 degree upright.  Now when I browse on the Bay I look for stick that fit those two details.  Makes used shopping a lot easier. There are plenty of good deals out there.  Be patient and keep looking.  Online, used stores and word of mouth.  Good luck to you and I hope you get a nice setup that works for you.  
    • I saw the same thing when I did my little bit of internet research yesterday, it looks like the PGA apprentice training is aimed at those who will end up working at a golf club.  I know from my club that the job of the PGA staff includes managing day-to-day golf operations, running the retail pro-shop business, running club tournaments, marketing and running outside golf events, as well as a bit of instruction.  @iacas, do you know what percentage of PGA (or other) golf professionals are in this type of situation, as opposed to those who concentrate almost entirely on instruction as you do? Another update from Florida, Paul's 70 put him in a 5-way tie for second, two behind the leader.  Unless he breaks a leg, he seems likely to make the cut at the end of today and move on to the weekend.  I wish the PGA had real-time scoring, so I could watch through the day!
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. Jmwest76
      (40 years old)
    2. Mikael Detterberg
      Mikael Detterberg
      (34 years old)
    3. SBrown
      (26 years old)
    4. scottyarcy
      (33 years old)