IGNORED

PLEASE HELP ME!! :) No pro has been able to correct my problem.

jordy466
Note: This thread is 3952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I love golf - I have been playing one year. I live in Belgium - so membership and handicap rules work a little different over here.

You have to take a Golf rules exam. Then you have to become a member of the Par 3 course and obtain a local handicap of less than 18. Once you have achieved this, you have to take a technical test - ball hitting on range, chipping and putting. If you pass this, you become a temporary member of the main course and then you have one more test to score stableford points on 3 holes ( a par 3, 4 and 5) - if you score 4 points or more you are given a "club" hcp of 45 - then you can play club tournaments. Once you have got your cllub hcp to below 36 - this becomes your officially recognised hcp hence forth.

CRAZY I know - but actually not the reason I am writing. Just wanted to give some background!

Ok - I started about 1 year ago - I am quite sporty and have good hand eye coordination - 27 years old. I took 2 lessons to understand the grip, stance, swing and basics and everything went well - within 1 month I had a HCP of 1 for Par 3 courses. Within 6 months I was playing between -2 and -6 for my local and 2over and -1 for other par 3 courses.

If i played on the main course - also non local courses - I would be between 8 and 16 over. Although I only played on a big course about 5 times.

Problem - 3 months ago, I went from being able to hit a round on the Par 3 in -6 (best) to hitting it in about 60 over!!!!

Reason - SLICE - I hit every ball like this - thousands of balls at the range - not a single one straight or in the air, just a slice to the right.

I watched pro's - watched videos of myself back when I was playing off 1. I couldn't see a difference.

I took more lessons - 3 different pro's and none could figure out what the problem was :( they all said a different thing without proof or fact - Club open / Club closed / hands...

STRANGE FACT - one day, without warning, actually 2 weeks ago - I was able to hit straight again, went to the Par 3 and played 4 over Par on 18. Played on the main course and hit 5 Over for 9 holes.

Only ONE DAY!! the next day - the slice is back.

SECOND STRANGE FACT - I only slice the ball when I am static. I can drop a ball, not line up, not measure or take a stance. Take one step away from the ball and then "kinda like happy gilmore" take a dynamic step forward, swing and I hit the ball perfect every time.

This is the thing that is really confusing my local PGA pro's. They say it is impossible :(

I hope someone here can help me because I am not happy playing golf anymore - even though I dream about it every night.

My apologies for writing quite so much!!

(My club HCP is still 3 as I haven't played in qualifying events since)

Nicklaus NPS-1 Irons 4-PW

Titleist Vokey SM4 Wedges 54' and 58' 

Ping G5i B60  Putter

Hi everyone,

Ok - I started about 1 year ago - I am quite sporty and have good hand eye coordination - 27 years old. I took 2 lessons to understand the grip, stance, swing and basics and everything went well - within 1 month I had a HCP of 1 for Par 3 courses. Within 6 months I was playing between -2 and -6 for my local and 2over and -1 for other par 3 courses.

If i played on the main course - also non local courses - I would be between 8 and 16 over. Although I only played on a big course about 5 times.

Problem - 3 months ago, I went from being able to hit a round on the Par 3 in -6 (best) to hitting it in about 60 over!!!!

Reason - SLICE - I hit every ball like this - thousands of balls at the range - not a single one straight or in the air, just a slice to the right.

I watched pro's - watched videos of myself back when I was playing off 1. I couldn't see a difference.

I took more lessons - 3 different pro's and none could figure out what the problem was :( they all said a different thing without proof or fact - Club open / Club closed / hands...

STRANGE FACT - one day, without warning, actually 2 weeks ago - I was able to hit straight again, went to the Par 3 and played 4 over Par on 18. Played on the main course and hit 5 Over for 9 holes.

Only ONE DAY!! the next day - the slice is back.

SECOND STRANGE FACT - I only slice the ball when I am static. I can drop a ball, not line up, not measure or take a stance. Take one step away from the ball and then "kinda like happy gilmore" take a dynamic step forward, swing and I hit the ball perfect every time.

This is the thing that is really confusing my local PGA pro's. They say it is impossible :(

I hope someone here can help me because I am not happy playing golf anymore - even though I dream about it every night.

My apologies for writing quite so much!!

(My club HCP is still 3 as I haven't played in qualifying events since, my actual HCP is 18 as recommended by club)

Ping G5i B60  Putter

to fix a slice, lower your swing plane ... swing flatter, and NOT as upright/steep.     Look at Matt Kuchar's swing plane - try that, it helped me fix my slice.  Also keep your head centered on the back swing - dont sway backwards.     Other guys will tell you to swing more from the inside - that's true, but fa rmore difficult to change - something to work on, but if you want a quick fix, lower your swing plane & keep head centered.   Slice be gone.

• Upvote 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi inthehole,

Indeed, one of my problems in the beginning was swinging too steeply (although it didn't cause me to slice) I worked on this and have a much more rounded swing.

But I still have a slice - my head is still, my clubface is not open or closed - 3 different PGA Pro's have looked at my swing, video's of my swing and they have no clue why I now slice the ball compared to how I used to play. Even trackman doesn't pick up any major anomalies. :(

Worse - is that I can hit the ball perfect when I step into a shot (like field hockey or playing a tennis forehand for example) but I can't hit the ball if I am standing still.

Thanks for replying - I will hit some balls again tonight and look at flattening my swing plane even more until it is almost baseball like :)

I swing inside to out, it is why I was so accurate on my short game. :S

it's also crazy that it is not everytime - one day, I can hit every ball perfect, just like before - the very next day I slice more than 100 balls in a row and nothing feels or looks different.

It is very very frustrating.

Ping G5i B60  Putter

Thanks :) I have read the forum for a little while and tried to pick up tips, but then I thought it was rude not to become a member :)

Ping G5i B60  Putter

Originally Posted by jordy466

Within 6 months I was playing between -2 and -6 for my local and 2over and -1 for other par 3 courses.

does this not seem fishy to anyone else?

Colin P.

colin007 - Please believe me, I am not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. I do not want to boast or pretend to be something I am not. I am not looking to impress people, I am having trouble and my case appears to be unique as per everyone I know from my club who I have spoken to.

This is a par 3 course we are talking about - I have registered tournament score cards of me playing 1 over par in official tournaments, if you really need me to, I can upload them. In training I was playing an average of -3 and trained with the 3 local PGA pro's. ( I got nervous in tournaments) I can give you their phone number if you would like to call to verify.

Now I slice the ball almost continously and that is the only point to this post. I only know the 3 local pro's and they have not been able to help. Perhaps someone had something similar to this and I wanted to reach a wider audience.

The only way I do not slice the ball - is if I take a step back, step forward and hit the ball immediately - problem is, this is not a repeatable swing. Thanks!!

Ping G5i B60  Putter

You should post in the Member Swings forum after checking out the swing thread rules . If your slice is really that bad, people will be able to immediately diagnose the problem.

Also, read up on the ball flight laws , especially since you've been getting conflicting info regarding club face, club path, etc. You can diagnose many of your problems on your own solely based on how the ball flies. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Please only start one thread on a particular topic... Threads merged.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

My apologies, I am new to the site and wanted to say hello and find the best place to get a reaction on my problem!

Ping G5i B60  Putter

Unfortunately, the ball isn't really flying in the air anymore. :( Otherwise indeed it would be easier to understand the problem. I think perhaps the best way to get some feedback is to try some impact tape? It is either going straight along the ground in front of me, slicing directly to the right, or a very weak shot that gains half height and bends to the right.

Ping G5i B60  Putter

Welcome, yes just post your swing in the member swings forum and we can try and help you out.  Going from shooting those low scores to shooting 60 over seems kind of extreem though.  I agree with colin007 on that.  Lots of people here though that can help you out.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

my apologies, 60 over was an aggressive and depressive exageration!! But believe me when I say that from one day to the next, I could no longer hit the ball.

Below is an image of a hidden green Par 3 - 120m - this was a good approach for me with my 9 iron. My average was around 3m from the hole for 120m.

I have also, included a copy of the last 4 tournaments I played - Par 3 - 18 holes.

HCP is the last column.

I will post my swing, you have no idea how stressed I am, I am not a cheater, I love golf, I just want to play well and people who didn't play golf me last summer, also think I am some sort of cheater. It is embarrassing. I can not get to the range tonight, but this week, I will also film myself doing my "dynamic" swing without setup and you will understand the frustration.

Ping G5i B60  Putter

i think what we are trying to say is that it is almost not believable that someone would 1) be shooting 6 under par after only playing for 6 months, and 2) then not be able to hit it in the air.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 3952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!