IGNORED

Rory McIlroy walks off course at the Honda Classic

phan52
Note: This thread is 4038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I feel bad for the guy.  I would want to quit, too.  It would seem pointless to continue . .can't make the cut and although a lot of fans want to see Rory . . they want to see him making birdies . .not triple bogeys.

I guess he could've tried to slog on for 8 more holes, miss the cut and then go home . . but I don't really blame him for quiting.

I don't really buy the tooth story, though.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

If I was his PR guy, I'd almost be inclined to schedule for his wisdom teeth to be pulled whether he needed to or not, just to save face.

PGA Tour Rep just spoke with Rory's manager, he plans to have tooth pulled after he plays at Doral.  Supposedly started hurting him 3 months ago.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I talked to the guys inside the ropes that were with his group and they were shocked at the tooth excuse. One guy said he was just getting frustrated trying to hit draws and he got a case of the rights and was (understandably) dropping F bombs.  He cuts one in the water, shakes hands, and exits stage left. Folks in his camp played it straight but had to be disappointed. I figured he was going home to file the logos off the Titleists and painting swooshes on them. No one stuck up for him on the course and called BS on the tooth.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I feel bad for the guy.  I would want to quit, too.  It would seem pointless to continue . .can't make the cut and although a lot of fans want to see Rory . . they want to see him making birdies . .not triple bogeys.  I guess he could've tried to slog on for 8 more holes, miss the cut and then go home . . but I don't really blame him for quiting.  I don't really buy the tooth story, though.

If everyone did that, only the top 10 players would bother playing on Sunday! Seeing him walk off, it didn't look like he was in any pain, just annoyed. He is playing the worst golf of his career and isn't used to it. He isn't mature enough to deal with it yet, he wil probably regret walking off soon, but at the minute he will quickly loose his #1 status.

that's too bad - I'd like to see both Rory and Tiger have a few good tournaments.  Kid's young though.  How many of us made stupid decisions in our early 20's?  Wish I could have made some bad decisions while still earning million$

Bill - 

I play with a guy like this - always has a mysterious pain and leaves when starting with 3 triples.

Rory and him are tools.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

All I've got to say is ....

He is young, and will make mistakes.

I'll give him a few mulligans.

(Although his advisors may be doing a poor job. I'd hire me. )

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The WD disqualifies him from the Vardon Trophy, right?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I feel like the pga tour is becoming so "Media-ized" that its turning into a reality show. Rory needs to get his head out of the money!

Driver:  905R 9.5* Project X 6.0

3 Wood:  910FD 15* Project X 8C4

Hybrid:  Vr Pro 21* 3H Project X HD2

Irons:  775 CB 4-G Project X Pxi 6.0

Wedges:  MP T-10 56/8, 60/5

Putter:  Anser 2

Ball:  Gamer V2 or  NXT

Originally Posted by jamo

The WD disqualifies him from the Vardon Trophy, right?

Yes, same happend to Woods last year after Doral WD.

I agree with Elk

Jeff Babineau was there and says McIlroy was near tears.

Quote:
The defending champion at the Honda, who has captured two major championships by age 23, was near tears as his caddie placed his clubs into the trunk of his blue BMW sports car and he headed out of the lot at PGA National shortly before 10 a.m.

He was 7 over for his round (and the tournament) heading down the 18th fairway, and chose not to drop a ball and hit his fourth shot.

“There’s not really say much I can say, guys,” he said to three reporters in the parking lot. “I’m not in a good place mentally, you know?”

Bob Harig notes that "The tournament withdrawal rules McIlroy ineligible to win the PGA Tour's scoring title" that McIlroy won in 2012.

Jason Sobel is pretty blunt:  "This is beyond poor form. This is quitting. This is John Daly territory. This is the absolute opposite of what we expect and demand from our superstars."

Will Gray has this and other quotes from playing partner Ernie Els: "I'm a great fan of Rory's, but I don't think that was the right thing to do," Els explained after firing an even-par 70, leaving him at 1 under for the tournament.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by walk18

Rory can do what he wants. People should probably just get over it.

Totally disagree. So if Tom Brady has a bad game and throws three picks before the half, it's ok for him to just quit and tell the coach to put someone else in? He's a professional athlete who needs to play whether he's doing good or bad. Fans paid good money to see him and it's kinda bush league to just walk off because he's not playing well.

• Upvote 1
my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

All I've got to say is ....

He is young, and will make mistakes.

I'll give him a few mulligans.

Agreed.  He seems like a good kid, and pretty smart too.  I'm sure he already knows he goofed, and if not, he will realize it soon enough.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mvmac

Will Gray has this and other quotes from playing partner Ernie Els: "I'm a great fan of Rory's, but I don't think that was the right thing to do," Els explained after firing an even-par 70, leaving him at 1 under for the tournament.

Ernie was in his group, and says that... So there you go. The tooth is, as we all suspected, something concocted afterwards.

It's been bugging him for THREE MONTHS? Please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Guys do not make quick judgements like this.He may of actually been in a lot of pain and could not concentrate as a result of this.Im sure Rory will give us the full story of his actions at the cadillac championship,this is if he is playing of course.He has certainly dug himself a very deep hole

Totally disagree. So if Tom Brady has a bad game and throws three picks before the half, it's ok for him to just quit and tell the coach to put someone else in? He's a professional athlete who needs to play whether he's doing good or bad. Fans paid good money to see him and it's kinda bush league to just walk off because he's not playing well.

Tom Brady having a bad game in a metaphor? meenman is going to be on this one in a jiffy! :-P

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!