IGNORED

Rory McIlroy walks off course at the Honda Classic

phan52
Note: This thread is 4033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by evan01

Are you sure you didn't give birth in between the tooth pull and hitting the range?

Nope,  Had a hysterectomy the day before my teeth were pulled.

• Upvote 1

Hearing on Morning Drive that there have been 16 WDs this year, and 3 from the Honda. Seems like a lot and haven't seemed to be a lot of high profile types withdrawing (or maybe I'm not paying attention?). Last one I remember being a big deal was when Michelle Wei left in the back of an ambulance with heat exhaustion. This seems to be on that level for media attention.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I think Rory has discovered that it is very lonely at the top. His perspective, and the perspective of  those around him, has gotten skewed.  I think he needs to go back to his roots and play some rounds without the pressure of the media and fans. Play for fun, not for glory. He will feel the weight of being number one come off his shoulders and then he can come back to the big game, remembering who he is. A nice young man who loves the game and plays it really, really well.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Originally Posted by walk18

Go

golf is not a team sport, and golfers are independent contractors, so that analogy doesnt work.

exactly, any golfer can WD for any reason at any time. No one said people had to like it.

Golf not being a team sport has nothing to do with it. He's a professional athlete that fans paid to see who walked off because he wasn't having a good day. Poor form.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Speaking of Tiger... This is a great spot for a bit of mentorship. From someone who's been there (#1, in the spotlight, made mistakes under a microscope) he may have some solid advice for the guy.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by walk18

exactly, any golfer can WD for any reason at any time. No one said people had to like it.

First, the "WD at any time" thing is not true. See PGA Tour policy on the issue.

Second, nobody has to like it, but at the same time you can't tell people they're not allowed to have and share an opinion on it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Jmdmbike

Hearing on Morning Drive that there have been 16 WDs this year, and 3 from the Honda. Seems like a lot and haven't seemed to be a lot of high profile types withdrawing (or maybe I'm not paying attention?). Last one I remember being a big deal was when Michelle Wei left in the back of an ambulance with heat exhaustion. This seems to be on that level for media attention.

There are WDs all the time, but only the highest profile players are even mentioned when they WD.  When Tiger WDs, it's on ESPN.  When Duval or DLIII withdraw, it's a footnote in an article on a golf website somewhere.  I think the most high profile withdrawals over the past couple years that weren't regarding Tiger Woods was when Angel Cabrera withdrew for no apparent reason other than bad play (which barely even registered as "high profile", but it was discussed some), and last year when Phil Mickelson withdrew after round 1 citing "mental fatigue."

Originally Posted by Chris E

LOL Chamblee just called Wozniacki an underwear model on Morning Drive. I believe he thinks there is something up in his private life. I tend to agree.

What does this mean?

Edit: never mind...didn't realize that Wozniacki was the last name of Rory's girlfriend.  I thought it was a Golf Channel contributor.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Administrator
Originally Posted by dednaH tfeL

If the toothache story turns out to be BS, then Nick Faldo is starting to look pretty smart when he said Rory was making a mistake changing equipment.

I don't think that's the thing at all. He'd be hitting the ball as badly as he is now with any equipment.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Don't think Rory made the right decision, if it was my son I'd be a little disappointed.  I'm sure he realizes he made a mistake and will probably learn from it.  If Rory starts playing good again, wins a major, no one is going to remember this.  Except when the PGA Tour's scoring title come around ;-)

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't think that's the thing at all. He'd be hitting the ball as badly as he is now with any equipment.

Yep

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Agreed.  He seems like a good kid, and pretty smart too.  I'm sure he already knows he goofed, and if not, he will realize it soon enough.

+ 1

I'm betting, when he's feeling less mentally fragile, he'll go out there and speak frankly to the media about what's going on.  To leave the situation as it is now would be very damaging in a number of ways.

I daresay Nike will be advising him to do so, at least you would hope so by now.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Rory mentioned on Sky Sports before the tournament that he was sick of people going on about the change of clubs, and the link to poor form. WD from the Honda is gonna give the kid a lot more problems and fuel the clubs/form issue even more with the media. Especially the poor 7/8 holes he played before he quit. Yesterday I was pretty pissed at him for quitting. But the pressure he must be under must be immense, I'll give him a break on this one and just hope he learns, and quickly.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I just had my wisdom teeth removed on 2/14.  Three were impacted.  They still hurt like a $#%! and I'm popping Advil like candy.  And Vicodin to fall asleep.  But I still play my rounds without quitting!!!

so even with that pain, you were able to keep your play at a top ten in the world level too?  seems that at the top level, little things impact the game.  So it's big difference for you and I to tough it out and continue to score at (at least mine) the same crappy level as always.  A bit different for a top pro.  "finishing" does not equal 'competing' (though it does imply 'competitor')

I see two arguments:

1 - the pain was enough of an impact to his game, that even with trying to tough it out for 9 holes, it resulted in enough of a distraction that Rory turned in a -short game performance more like mine than that of a pro.  So he withdrew.  Not bringing the tooth up in the parking lot might have been a desire to just leave and not look like a whiner about it.  Later, the real rationalization was needed to placate the masses.  By then it was too late.

2 - #1 player in the world was having a bad day and ditched and used the wisdom tooth thing as an excuse much later.

each observer can pick a pet theory

I tend to believe the guy just because it's a simpler story and it doesn't much matter in the end.  Also, since it's a flip of coin, really, I just go with it.  That's not to say I haven't seen young kids get frustrated and just bail.....  I also think that scenario #1 would have been a lot better story if he would have completed and then just noted the dental problem in the inevitable interviews after he again missed the cut.  (i.e."I have a wisdom tooth and ran out of meds.  I wanted to tough it out, but the distraction just really put me 'off my mental game' "

Regardless, just go get the tooth pulled and get back in it.

Regardless, it's best press to be the direct and honest guy and let the chips fall.

Bill - 

If it was 1) above, he should have explained it clearly to a) his competitors on the course before bailing, and b) the media, before leaving the course. Now he has left everyone with doubts about motive. Not good. But he's a young puppy, seems smart and will learn from stuff like this. Wish'd I had his problems .....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Yeah, I agree, at least in terms of a public figure that's stuck in his position.

Bill - 

Originally Posted by iacas

Years ago Payne Stewart signed a big deal with Top Flite and had to use cast irons instead of forged ones and his game took a nosedive. Sometimes equipment does matter. Perhaps you're right about Rory, but so far it's looking like a bad decision. Returning to form and winning will stop all of the speculation.

• Administrator
Years ago Payne Stewart signed a big deal with Top Flite and had to use cast irons instead of forged ones and his game took a nosedive. Sometimes equipment does matter. Perhaps you're right about Rory, but so far it's looking like a bad decision. Returning to form and winning will stop all of the speculation.

This isn't that. Payne's switch was huge.

Note: This thread is 4033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!