IGNORED

Rory McIlroy walks off course at the Honda Classic

phan52
Note: This thread is 4033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

If he places well at Doral, we won't even be talking about this.

Originally Posted by iacas

I think we will, especially if he doesn't have any dental surgery or something today or tomorrow. :P

Oh, we will...but it will fade quickly with the not so hard core crowd. I was too literal in that statement. Who me? Lol.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Electrons must keep flowing in the media and on this forum. Rory is kindly helping with that.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

He can also turn around and win by a fist full of strokes with no notice. That's what the off the charts talent can do, just pop up out of nowhere and lap the field. Look at 2011, missed cut in Quail Hollow then win the US Open by 8 (IIRC) strokes. (this is by memory so correct me if I'm wrong)

Last year as well. He played pretty mediocre golf between the Honda and the PGA Championship.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by k-troop

Then what's causing the terrible play?  How does someone who is so freaking good suddenly start playing so freaking bad.

There are two explanations:

1. Physical injury.  This has been proffered, but we all (mostly) agree it's BS.

2. The space between his ears is jacked up.

I'm convinced it's #2.  And I strongly believe that the Nike contract (not the clubs per se) is the reason.  He's feeling the pressure of the expectations that come from everything that this deal, and all the hype that accompanied it, means.

Lots of guys have made it to #1.  But I can only think of one other guy who did it with such a level of expectation accompanying it.

The terrible play is Rors lack of practice and focus on golf during his 3 month.  It has nothing to do with equipment.

"I'm the best in the world so I'm going to hang with my GF and not worry about golf because I'm that good" syndrome is what he is paying for right now.  When you are the best, you have to work harder than you did before to not only maintain the greatness, but to prove it to everyone who now has a target on your back; especially when a company invests 200 million into you. You can't just "show up" and think you are going to be great if you don't continue to work on it.

Long story short, Rors slacked off the last three months and is now scrambling to find his game in the middle of a season that is well into being started.  I mentioned it earlier, if this was a team sport and Rors came into the season this unprepared, he would get his arse ripped by his coach and management.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I think McDowell nailed it. Switching to Nike under the most lucrative of conditions and he now he has to perform. It's a little too much pressure, but a couple of good rounds and he will be back in form. It is not the clubs, its the pressure of having to play well that is in his head. Rors will be back.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/golf/rory-mcilroys-meltdown-was-only-a-matter-of-time-g/nWf6T/

Then again, he could be the next David Duval / Michele Wie Nike nightmare. Time will tell. I wonder when Nike will be running those commercials with Rory, telling everyone to go out and buy those Nike clubs that have made such a difference in his game....

rotflmao

"Just do it" - what would that be, exactly?

4-hybrid:

McIlroy is not Wie.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Irish Media claim Rors relaitionship with Wozniacki behind meltdown

Hopefully this hasnt already been posted.

Reports in Ireland are claiming Rory McIlroy’ s relationship with Caroline Wozniacki could have hit a rocky patch.

The Sunday Independent speculates that romantic issues and not teething pains are the reason behind McIlroy’s current woes.

The world number one stunned golf when he walked off the course after just eight holes of the second round in his defence of the Honda Classic in Florida.

McIlroy blamed his walk-off on a wisdom tooth pain – just minutes after he was photographed eating a sandwich on the course.

Close to tears, he also told a number of Irish reporters at the clubhouse that he was having a tough time mentally.

The paper claims that speculation is mounting that McIlroy’s meltdown is linked to his romance with tennis star Caroline Wozniacki.

McIlroy had said: “There’s not much I can say, guys. I’m just not in a good place, mentally.”

Reports on Sunday also claim that McIlroy will come clean on his latest issues at a press conference in Florida on Tuesday.

The Sunday Independent reports that tennis star girlfriend Wozniacki also crashed out of the Malaysian Open last week in what was one of the worst defeats of her career when she was beaten by a competitor ranked 186th in the world.

Former world number one Wozniacki claimed she was feeling unwell and had a high temperature.

The report adds that the pair, who are usually very communicative with one another over Twitter, have not publicly conversed on the social networking site for several days.

The Danish beauty was questioned about her future with the Irish golfer last week.

Asked about any marriage plans, Wozniacki replied: “I think that question will be for him to answer.”

Asked if she would accept if McIlroy proposed, she laughingly brushed off the question, saying: “This is getting personal!”

McIlroy’s current woes are being blamed on the ‘The Curse of Nike’ after his $250m deal to switch from Titleist to the multi-sports giant’s clubs in January

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-media-claim-Rory-McIlroys-relationship-with-Caroline-Wozniacki-behind-meltdown-194641921.html#ixzz2Man5M7eu
Follow us: @IrishCentral on Twitter | IrishCentral on Facebook

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

The above post makes perfect sense.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Another interesting tid bit from SB Nation, apparently Rory's ex showed up before the final round of Rory's Masters Meltdown............

Before Rory McIlroy could triumph at the 2011 U.S. Open, he fell apart at the 2011 Masters. At the time, it was one of the more spectacular Sunday collapses we've seen in years, prompting some to write essays on the nature of human frailty , and others to cringe and hope he could somehow recover.

A few months later, he's recovered, and the following story is more funny than tragic. Whatever career track the Masters meltdown may have disrupted is back underway, and Rory McIlroy is once again the next big superstar in golf. In the end, a spectacular collapse set him up for an even more spectacular recovery at the Open. But what about that day at the Masters?

What happened? Where did it all go wrong? Why?

Well, there was this: a few months after breaking up with his high school girlfriend, with Rory set to win the biggest tournament of his life at Augusta, his ex-girlfriend decided to join the festivities. I heard about it on Bomani Jones' radio show this morning, and turns out it's 100 percent true.

Somehow, we never heard about this, but as the Belfast Telegraph reported back in April:

Rory McIlroy’s life took another bizarre twist at the Masters after former girlfriend Holly Sweeney turned up out of the blue. She came to congratulate him on his win. ... Unknown to McIlroy, or indeed to anyone outside his management company, Holly had secretly rushed over from Holywood [ Ed. note: Hollywood, Ireland ] to surprise him on the 18th green at the conclusion of the season's opening Major. It was supposed to be a fantastic celebration, a joyous snapshot to go around the world.

You will hear a lot crazy ex-girlfriend stories, but none more brutal than that. Nothing like showing up unannounced on the biggest day of a guy's life to distract him and (ultimately) spark one of the most spectacular national TV collapses we've seen in years.

Here's how it probably played out in Augusta.

Holly: "Surprise!"

Rory: [ speechless ]

Rory: [ 30 seconds later ] "Hey ..."

Holly: "That's all you have to say? I flew 3,000 miles for you."

Rory: [ nervous laughter ] "Yeah, you really flew over, huh?"

Holly: "What's that supposed to mean? Aren't you happy to see me?"

Rory: [ sweating ] "Of course!" [ hugs her ] [ glances at his agent, expecting him to do something ]

Holly: "I knew it." [ starts crying ] "I know we've been separated, but I knew you'd want me here."

Rory: [ stammers ] "Of course. I've gotta go play, but I'll see you after, okay?"

Holly: [ staring into his eyes ] "Perfect."

Rory: [ unable to make eye contact ] "Perfect."

Back when Rory collapsed in April, ESPN's Jeff MacGregor waxed poetic over the spectacle, writing that failure is huamnity's natural reflex . "... to call what happened to Rory McIlroy a collapse is to miss the larger point of the human experiment." It turns out he was right.

Not about failure, but about the whole human experiment. If there's one thing we've learned over the years, it's that the powers of a crazy ex-girlfriend know no bounds. The Masters meltdown makes perfect sense, then. Rory didn't crack under the pressure; he cracked because he spent his final round glancing over his shoulder. That's completely normal, given the circumstances. World-class golfer or not, a crazy ex can take anyone in the whole world off their game. Just ask Tiger.

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker

That's the difference between Rory and Tiger..... Tiger knows how to handle the ladies.....

Tiger told Rory "You'll Learn" at the end of the Nike Commercial. LOL

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by WWBDD

http://news.yahoo.com/golf-tiger-says-mcilroy-choose-words-more-carefully-003500866--golf.html

That quote doesn't appear to be related to this specific story much.  It's a reference to media folks being critical of his swing changes of a few years ago.

Originally Posted by mvmac

Ok so you guys do get Rory had a new set of clubs last year when he was with Titleist?  Used 910 driver and 710 mb irons in 2011 and 913 and 712 mb irons in 2012.  Most pros put a new driver or set of irons into play every 1-2 years, except for Ryan Moore or KJ Choi who switch every week lol  Dusting Johnson went to the R1 driver and won his first week.  Hunter Mahan had 13 new clubs compared to last year and made the finals of the match play.  Not the equipment, his swing is off.

No wonder Rory was very average for a few months last season.  It was the club changes!

Originally Posted by spike100

Please allow me to play the Devil’s Advocate for a moment, providing a plausible explanation that may be favorable to Mcllroy.

I think this thing is pretty simple: it was either a very painful day for him or it wasn't.  If it was, he not only hid it extremely well, but also told nobody about it until he had time to collect his thoughts.  Usually excruciating pain is foremost on a person's mind if it's cause to make you quit something.  Also, if he was in extreme pain, he shouldn't have gone home...he should have gone to a dentist.

Originally Posted by Lihu

I am sure an impacted wisdom tooth would be a gradually painful thing. I wonder if it started being painful during the offseason, and just came to a head at the Honda Classic?

*Overnight.  He was fine the day before and even while eating before (during?) the round.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Tiger told Rory "You'll Learn" at the end of the Nike Commercial. LOL

Ha!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

QFT.

FWIW, here's Nick Price on the topic :

Did he say it was infected? I thought he just says it was sore and the infected thing was a rumor. This is all I can find that has come straight from Rory's mouth (or press release, at least):
Plus that thing he said in the parking lot about not being right mentally.

Well hear him speak on Tuesday, at least.

They moved it to Wednesday now I think.

A source inside Rory's camp said he practiced Saturday with his coach Michael Bannon and will speak "honestly" about his WD .

Quote:
According to a friend, who was speaking on condition on anonymity, the world number one will speak honestly about his implosion when he gives a media conference on Tuesday morning ahead of the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral in Miami.

And Tiger offered Rory some advice  through the reporters who asked him about the incident,

Quote:
"He's just got to be more – just got to think about it a little bit more before you say something or do something," Woods said.
"It can get out of hand, especially when you get into social media and start tweeting and all those different things that can go wrong."

James Corrigan offered an interpretation

Quote:

In other words, do not tell the truth. The saddest part of this farce could be the ending of McIlroy’s innocence. He is too honest for his own good. If he had told the journalists who interviewed the defending champion immediately after his withdrawal “I have so and so wrong with my body” then there would have been no outcry. Yet he did not and there was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpj070 View Post

Please explain to me the differences in the 710 and 712 except for cosmetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Roughly the same as the difference between his 712s and his Nikes... Cosmetic. They're both forged blades.

Exactly.  Explain to me the difference between the Nike VR forged blades and the 712 mb irons.  I'm sure Nike did everything they could to make Rory's set almost exactly the same.  And he obviously would have gone through multiple prototypes until they found the right design/grind that he liked the best.  It's not like they got a set off the rack, gave it to Rory and said "good luck".  And even if they did that's not going to cause him to shoot the scores he's shooting.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by jamo

Last year as well. He played pretty mediocre golf between the Honda and the PGA Championship.

Yes, Rors had times when he disappeared, even with Titleist Clubs.

2012 -

May 10-13 Players Championship, Florida Missed cut

May 24-27 PGA Championship, Wentworth Missed cut

May 31-June 3 Memorial Tournament, Ohio Missed cut

June 7-10 St. Jude Championship, Tennessee 7T

June 14-17 U.S. Open, San Francisco Missed cut

June 28-July 1 Irish Open, Portrush 10T

July 19-22 British Open, Lytham, England 60T

August 2-5 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, Ohio 5T

and then, the PGA Win

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The more cuts and sucky performances Rory puts in, more pressure will be piled on him. All eyes will be on him from Thursday, if he starts to struggle it will be interesting to see how he copes on the course.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Yes, Rors had times when he disappeared, even with Titleist Clubs.

2012 -

May 10-13 Players Championship, Florida Missed cut

May 24-27 PGA Championship, Wentworth Missed cut

May 31-June 3 Memorial Tournament, Ohio Missed cut

June 7-10 St. Jude Championship, Tennessee 7T

June 14-17 U.S. Open, San Francisco Missed cut

June 28-July 1 Irish Open, Portrush 10T

July 19-22 British Open, Lytham, England 60T

August 2-5 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, Ohio 5T

and then, the PGA Win

Yes he is a great player but not always the most consistent.  He's more like Phil than Tiger/Jack.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa

The above post makes perfect sense.

It is also perfectly hilarious.

4-hybrid:

Note: This thread is 4033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!