IGNORED

What is your swing speed and carry?

Gregormendel
Note: This thread is 3495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Even at 125mph @2.5 = ~313 yards. Tiger has bombed some shots over 350yards on fairly straight ground what could be the reason for that.

So he caught it perfect he does do that sometimes like all golfers and got some run 350 yards pga fairways are rock hard - i have watched tiger several times at the open when he is going for it standing feet away - recorded the golf on tv and watched later - he has never swung faster than 125mph when it has been recorded at the open - remember tiger optimizes his flight whearas the vast majority of golfers do no. Carry is easiest to compare - on the flat tiger will not fly the ball over 310 (on many pga courses this can equate to 350 yard tee shot), unless conditions vary from the norm, i.e. heat altitude etc. In all honesty driving issues so long as you are fairly consistent can be sorted with modern technology - i.e. monitors combined with analysis - if you buy any golf mag that has a feature you will find this to be the case - there could be many reasons why you pop the ball in the air - but all things considered if you are getting the distance you think it cant be too bad. k

I have just gotten back from my local golf store and tried out the callaway hyper X with a stiff shaft. Let me tell you that shaft is incredable. I also had my swing speed and distance measured. It varied from 93mph-103mph (mostly around 100mph). This is without being warmed up. I toped out at 116mph, but the few shots at that speed were awful. The best shot was one hit at 109. The carry was 284 with almost roll, managed to get to 293 on the machine. Loved the driver though.

Weird... my ss is only 102-104... but my AVERAGE carry is 260... am I delusional? I don't think so since I have too many witnesses AND a launch monitor to back me up (although I guess those are not fool-proof). Can someone tell me the correlation?

You are not delusional because this is about what your carry should be if you are making and ACCELERATING swing. That means that your clubhead is speeding up after impact which is very important. Swing speed is measured at impact but if the club is decelerating (very difficult to hit the ball straight and be accurate and hit the sweetspot)then you need step your swing back a few notches. When I played right handed my driver swing speed was 104 and I had a very repeatable straight ball that carried 250 -270. I was reading all these people measurements and they don't match and so the club has to be decelerating because the formula for a 300 yard drive is 110 mph swingspeed and 2500 rpm's (That info is from Hotstix which is probably one of the best clubfitters in the world) so if you can swing some where near 110 unless you have a very poorly fit driver you should hit the ball somewhere near 300 yards. I now play left handed and I have a verified 115-119 mph swingspeed and I routinely carry drives over 300 and sometimes 320. I have been measured many times on outside driving ranges so I know that my numbers are pretty close to that.

I have just gotten back from my local golf store and tried out the callaway hyper X with a stiff shaft. Let me tell you that shaft is incredable. I also had my swing speed and distance measured. It varied from 93mph-103mph (mostly around 100mph). This is without being warmed up. I toped out at 116mph, but the few shots at that speed were awful. The best shot was one hit at 109. The carry was 284 with almost roll, managed to get to 293 on the machine. Loved the driver though.

You might think they were trying to sell you a driver with those numbers - 284 carry on 109? what was the altitude setting on the machine?

You are not delusional because this is about what your carry should be if you are making and ACCELERATING swing. That means that your clubhead is speeding up after impact which is very important. Swing speed is measured at impact but if the club is decelerating (very difficult to hit the ball straight and be accurate and hit the sweetspot)then you need step your swing back a few notches. When I played right handed my driver swing speed was 104 and I had a very repeatable straight ball that carried 250 -270. I was reading all these people measurements and they don't match and so the club has to be decelerating because the formula for a 300 yard drive is 110 mph swingspeed and 2500 rpm's (That info is from Hotstix which is probably one of the best clubfitters in the world) so if you can swing some where near 110 unless you have a very poorly fit driver you should hit the ball somewhere near 300 yards. I now play left handed and I have a verified 115-119 mph swingspeed and I routinely carry drives over 300 and sometimes 320. I have been measured many times on outside driving ranges so I know that my numbers are pretty close to that.

This hotstick thing - are they assuming 30yards run for the 300yard drive at 110mph? if so i could buy it - based on perfect strike etc. i also know in the uk its very rare to get a lot of run the majority of the year -110mph in cold conditions often no run maybe = 260yards 2.5 yards carry per mph is the absolute max its like the 1.5 smash factor is more a theory than a reality

My shot was sky high at 284. I really got under it.

Also what is this smash factor. I saw the number and the guy said it had something to do with ball and club head speed at contact. Mine ranged from 1.37-1.51, usually I was 1.46. What does this mean exactly?

I usually feel the same way, and you and I have similar handicaps. At the range the other day, this guy comes over to talk. Really nice guy, tells me he's a 15 handicap. Says he needs to get more accurate and improve his short game. Anyway, he sees I have my Swing Speed Radar and asks if he could hit a few drivers to see his clubhead speed. I said sure and set it up for him. He takes a pretty smooth swing, but impact is so loud, I was thinking, "This guy has some MAJOR speed." I looked at the device and it read 124 mph!

When I started playing golf, my swing speed was clocked at an average of 121 and a max of 134 mph. The ball would go 70 yards out straight and then 100 yards to the right. haha Now my swing speed is 111 and I average hit the ball 260 with 10 yards of roll and a good amount of slice. I have a regular shaft but just bought a new driver with a shaft fitted for me(stiff, 45") and with a 430cc 4 weight adjustable head. Hopefully I'll be able to hit it straighter, I'd rather have accuracy than distance.

Driver: Hyper X Tour 10.5* Graffalloy Prolaunch Blue Stiff Shaft
Hybrid: Acer Select 5000 16* Ping Cushin Stiff Shaft
Irons: NDS 3-PW (missing #7, replaced with clone) True Temper Uniflex SpeedStep Shaft
Wedges: Acer XK Tour 56*10 Precision Stiff Shaft, Revolution 60*10 True Temper Wedgeflex

When I started playing golf, my swing speed was clocked at an average of 121 and a max of 134 mph. The ball would go 70 yards out straight and then 100 yards to the right. haha Now my swing speed is 111 and I average hit the ball 260 with 10 yards of roll and a good amount of slice. I have a regular shaft but just bought a new driver with a shaft fitted for me(stiff, 45") and with a 430cc 4 weight adjustable head. Hopefully I'll be able to hit it straighter, I'd rather have accuracy than distance.

You must have been swinging like a madman then.

when i'm at a simulator I always try to swing my hardest for a few drives to see what it clocks at. My normal swing which I've really slowed down is around 90-92 MPH, swinging my hardest I hit around 110.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

You must have been swinging like a madman then.

Yea, the fitter looked at the radar and just shook his head and said, "Holy Sh** kid." Now, I have a more controlled swing and a better stance and grip.

Irons: NDS 3-PW (missing #7, replaced with clone) True Temper Uniflex SpeedStep Shaft
Wedges: Acer XK Tour 56*10 Precision Stiff Shaft, Revolution 60*10 True Temper Wedgeflex

i think the best way to get an accurate read relative to everyone else is ths ss radar - as someone has already mentioned they are consistent and popular - they also match the very expensive monitors if you take them along and use them at the same time.

Imagine STARTING in golf and averaging 121mph! must be an athlete to do that - it has taken me a long time to swing fast i can imagine just going at it as a beginner and clocking 135mph - you should do longdrive!

FYI - ss radar best average i have ever had (12 consecutive shots) - 143.2mph

OK guys you are looking at this to simplisticly. I am a slow swinger. My swing speed goes from 87 to a max of 93. Ball speed between 125 and 130. Ball speed doesn't go up as much because the quality of my contact goes down as I swing harder. Spin and launch angle are also factors. If you are really a solid player your ball speed is about 1.5 times your swing / clubhead speed. My maximum carry is only 210, average about 225 total distance.

I am in the similar neighborhood 90 to 96 mph SS. 220 to 230. If I try to swing harder/faster, I hook very badly.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

i think the best way to get an accurate read relative to everyone else is ths ss radar - as someone has already mentioned they are consistent and popular - they also match the very expensive monitors if you take them along and use them at the same time.

Haha, thanks but thats wrong. I'm not an athlete. I'm 6' 2 1/2" and 213 lbs. I played bball for three years and four seasons, but I'm not athletic. I just have a lot of upper body strength and flexibility that allows me too wind up pretty good. I'm positive I could swing a club over 140 if I really tried, but I would probably hurt myself.

Haha, thanks but thats wrong. I'm not an athlete. I'm 6' 2 1/2" and 213 lbs. I played bball for three years and four seasons, but I'm not athletic. I just have a lot of upper body strength and flexibility that allows me too wind up pretty good. I'm positive I could swing a club over 140 if I really tried, but I would probably hurt myself.

In my opinion having a lot of strength and flexibility would make you athletic.

with the 6 iron I can have a carry of 150 meters. Thats my standart. I can get it up to 165 meters if I have to, but I have no freaking control over thet like that

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

• Administrator
It says tigers ss is 139 in this swingvision clip

Yeah, Tiger's smash factor wasn't 1.34. I believe his ball speed might have been close, and with a perfect smash factor (186/1.5), that puts his swing speed at 124 MPH, which is a far more normal number.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!