IGNORED

What is your swing speed and carry?

Gregormendel
Note: This thread is 3488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yup 124mph / 125mph is about as fast as it gets for tiger see my earlier posts.

Its a quantum leap to go up to 139mph and the ball speed is the same as a well hit 124mph or 125mph swing.

Misread - probabaly caught the ball.

We has the Ping Fitting Van come out to the club today, and they had their Trackman Doppler Launch Monitor.

I took the opportunity to take my driver out and put it on the monitor. The first couple with my 907D2, had a launch angle of between 12.5* - 13.9*, so not bad at all. The spinrate however was WAY too high. The first 3 had spinrates over 4100 rpm. Ideal spin rate is between 2300-2800 rpm. Carry distance ranged from 254 to 278. Ball speed was about 150-155 mph.

I then tried the new Rapture V2 9* with their stock X-Stiff shaft (which is a very good shaft) That immediately dropped the spin rate down to about 2900rpm, which gave me a carry distance average of 278-288 yards, and a max ball speed of 166 mph.

The swing speed worked out to be an average of 111 mph. I think I could improve that a bit by getting my body in a bit better alignment with itself.

907D2 9.5* Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 63g Stiff
905R 9.5* Accra SC75 Stiff
HiBore 15* 3 Wood Aldila NV85 Stiff
20* Pro Gold Hybrid Mitsubishi Rayon JAVLN FX
AP2 4-P,W ProjectX 5.5 Vokey Spin Mill 54.10 & 60.04 Studio Design #3 Cut to 32.5" ProV1x All #6's

Its all about the spin rates and launch angle- Even with relatively slow swing speeds (98-105 for me) I have been working on lowering the spin rates and increasing my launch angle and I can get them to carry 275 all the time- As soon as my spin rates go up(over 3200)though they die at about 260
I do play at altitude though- 5,200 feet on average and that will get me a few more yards

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

I'm getting old. I'm just back to the game this year after many years away. I had my SS measured at 95 average, I'm getting 200-205 carry with a 10.5 degree driver. I've had to slow down to keep it consistent, and it is, now my handicap should plummet. I have even picked up a slight draw.
In My Datek Bag
Driver R7 Quad 425cc 10.5* Regular
3 Wood War Bird + 1.5" Regular
Hybrids Idea A2 OS 3-6 +1" Senior
Irons Idea A2 OS 7-PW +1" SeniorWedges Purespin 54, 60 Putter VooDoo Daddy Ball One VaporCart Speedcart

reading granite golfers and big johns posts back to back is funny

MAX swing speed 105mph carry 275yards
AVERAGE swing speed 95mph carry 205yards

??

if you want to measure your ss get a ss radar, shoot me a pm as i have ss radar to sell

I got to play at altitude

Extremeld-

That is the what I was talking about with the launch angle and spine rates-

My 105 was tested on a launch monitor and then checked at range with sky caddy- With the correct launch and low spin rates(2500)I'm getting 275 carry at about 105 mph- Keep in mind this is at 5200 ft so at low elevations that will come down 10-15 yards-

At the monitor I saw folks with 105-110 only getting 245 carry because their spin rates were close to 4,000-

Cheers,

DR

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

was laughing at the mental carries some lucky sods get due to altitude, as i said i gotta play at altitude!

at 5200 feet you get around 10% extra carry, that would be most acceptable

extremeld your def right about altitude having a lot to do with this stuff.
My ave swing speed is 117 ish w/ a max of 130. Average carry is 300 but I would imagine at lower altitudes it wouldn't even be close to that. I live in the Canadian prairies; not mountain altitude, but not low by any means.

If anyone wants an ego boost come smack a drive down wind on a gusty day here on the prairies. I hit one 420 the other day. Conversely, into the wind I ripped one and got 210 out of it.

Cleveland Hi-bore 9.5* stiff, Taylormade Burner T3 14.5* stiff, Mizuno mp 32 3-PW, Nike SV Tour Black Satin 52, 56, 60* wedges, Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 35 inches
In the market for a new driver, then my bag will be the shiz.

I range from a 108 - 117 on normal play. I can whip it hard to 126 but I can feel the recoil in my back during the finish, got big shoulders and a small waist. My carry averages 260-270, live in a valley.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi everyone,

So i'm reading about all of your swing speeds and all I have to say is they are ridiculously faster than mine.

I thought that i would have a pretty high swing speed as I am in very good shape. Also, i came to this un-substantiated conclusion by deducing that since almost everyone who has posted here says they have swing speeds WELL over 100mph and that at the driving range i goto in NYC (which is always extremely busy) I can say that I do not see very many people hitting as far or consistently as I do.

So I goto buy my 3 wood the other day and get my swing speed tested by one of those things that you swing and it tells you your SS for a driver (tube like instrument) and it comes out to by 97mph swinging smoothly (but strongly) and I didn't swing my *ss off since i was buying a club and didn't want bogus stats

I'm a little dissapointed, but i've only been playing for 3 mos so maybe these muscles aren't as developed???

Anyway, my question is: what exercises can one do to up their swing speed? I've read posts where ppl swear that you're born with it or not, but i do not believe that at all in any way whatsoever since this is a sport and if it were true, everyone here would not have swing speeds well over 100mph.

Any suggestions for weight training routines or drills that can up swing speed?

Also:

I carry (that means in the air with no roll right?) 230-250 since it will roll out anywhere btwn 240-265 on average (and have hit it farther one out of every 5 tees) at the course, which i've gone to only 3 times so it may not be as accurate of a stat as I would like. I use that stat because the driving range I goto has a back fence of about 240 (i think bc the farthest back flag is supposedly at 218) that I can regularly knock the ball over if there is no wind, BUT i'm doubting that because of recent ss measurements.

Are my yardage stats bogus then? am i mismeasuring? or is my ss higher than 97?

Thanks!

Does this mean my stats are totally wrong since
Taylormade R9 TP 9.5*w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S (SST PURE)
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black Hybrid 20* w/ Voodoo NV8 S
MP-68 3-PW irons w/ KBS Tour X-flex (softstepped 1x)
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

I hit for the first time with a radar behind my club and my average swing was 121. I use a 10.5* TM burner with a regular shaft and it will carry in the 290's. I think im really doing myself a disservice using that driver with a high degree and shaft with a lot of whip for my speed.

I dont believe this as one if your SS is truly in the 120s you should have less loft than 10.5 and you should have xtra stiff.

Hey verse,

97mph with a 3 wood? your SS is usally lower with a 3 wood than a driver.

If you measure your SS on a driver you will see it will be higher. Depending on many things, if you have an average spin rate, with an average altitude, your SS on a driver could be around 105. Again, there are many variables, so to predict your actual SS without any stats is very hard.

Just to add something, Im sure people with very high spin rates and very high altitudes, can swing in excess of 110-115mph, and still have trouble carrying 250 yards.

ss isn't as important as centerdness of contact though. If you don't hit the sweet spot you lose up to 25 yards.

Anyway, my question is: what exercises can one do to up their swing speed? I've read posts where ppl swear that you're born with it or not, but i do not believe that at all in any way whatsoever since this is a sport and if it were true, everyone here would not have swing speeds well over 100mph.

It's like bodybuilding. Some people have better genetics/bodytype than others and can get bigger and stronger.

However you can still up your swing speed. I'm currently practicing my ass off to compete in my first long drive competition and gained a lot of knowledge on how to create clubhead speed. I started at 130mph and now I'm at 145mph after about a month. 1. Get a weighted club. The powerhitter is probably the best golf training aid there is to increase clubhead speed. 2. Hit the gym and get a golf specific workout to train your fast switch muscles and increase your core strength. 3. Work on your flexibility. Yoga is great for that. 4. Put the ball more towards your left foot so that you hit up on the ball instead of down on it. 5. Work on your technique. Create width in your backswing and learn to fire all the body parts in the correct order. Hope that helps.

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

swing speed used to be 104 average and up to 230 yards....

ive since slowed my swing down to between 85-90 mph... i actually hit the ball longer and straighter.. i average 250-260 yards with a slight draw and about right at 250 when i hit them straight.

i hit my old hawkeye way better than my new cleveland hibore xl or my dad's g10. i wish they still made hawkeyes exactly the way they used to, i cant seem to get used to these big coffee can drivers i dont know why....

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

ss isn't as important as centerdness of contact though. If you don't hit the sweet spot you lose up to 25 yards.

This guy nailed it. One thing that's super good for swing speed, as i think it builds fast twitch muscle, is isometrics. Bruce Lee was a big proponent of them and he was the fastest dude around.

Cleveland Hi-bore 9.5* stiff, Taylormade Burner T3 14.5* stiff, Mizuno mp 32 3-PW, Nike SV Tour Black Satin 52, 56, 60* wedges, Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 35 inches
In the market for a new driver, then my bag will be the shiz.

im at 98 mph

r7 draw driver 9.5* stiff shaft
Big bertha 06 irons, 4-sw
56*vokey spin milled 10*bounce
Victoria ;)
tp black balls cart bagJack nicklaus Golden Bear 52* and 60* wedgesWalter hagen: 3 wood 5 wood 4 hybrid stiff shaft"I don't say my golf game is bad, but if I grew tomatoes they'd come up sliced."www...

Note: This thread is 3488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!