IGNORED

What is your swing speed and carry?

Gregormendel
Note: This thread is 3468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not the place to discuss it since this is more of a swing speed thread, but I doubt you "average" anywhere near 250.. You could possibly say that when you actually hit it well you might get it near 250, but when you talk about average you need to consider those hits plus your 30 yard worm burners add the 100 yard then 60 yard slice shots.. Don't forget the duff shots off the t you probably hit too.. Just saying

He could be long and off line. He looks strong, and as Erik noted flips, so off line 260+ is quite possible. Given this, I can easily see scores in the 90s. My son partnered with a kid on the opposing team who averaged 300 yards off the tee one shot 330 yards and ended up 99, while my son had an 87.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
god forbid anyone should question the money machine known as the Trackman which is wildly over prescribed by swing preachers and club fitters to untold armies of average golfers  as just another avenue to generate profits.

Riiiiiight.

Or it could be that I understand physics and realize that there's no mythical "earth energy" or whatever you're talking about.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He could be long and off line. He looks strong, and as Erik noted flips, so off line 260+ is quite possible. Given this, I can easily see scores in the 90s.

Why I mentioned has nothing to do with him being long or not.. It has to do with accurately measuring your average.. If you hit 260 3 out if 10 times doesn't make your average 260.. With that flip it is just confirming that there are probably many slices and many duffs as it is hard to control the low point with it.. His average and many of our average on this site is probably more like 180 - 220 depending on the HC.. I think maybe the use of the terminology should just change to instead of my average to when I hit a good shot.. Just my opinion

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Riiiiiight.

Or it could be that I understand physics and realize that there's no mythical "earth energy" or whatever you're talking about.

Nah, I'd go with swing preaching money machine feeder.  That makes loads more sense. :-P

Why I mentioned has nothing to do with him being long or not.. It has to do with accurately measuring your average..

It also had a little to do with poking the bear for fun though, right? :beer: You're being nice to @JetFan1983 and @saevel25 ... because now he'll concentrate his ramblings in that thread instead of the football thread or Matts thread. ;)

Not the place to discuss it since this is more of a swing speed thread, but I doubt you "average" anywhere near 250..

You could possibly say that when you actually hit it well you might get it near 250, but when you talk about average you need to consider those hits plus your 30 yard worm burners and the 100 yard then 60 yard slice shots.. Don't forget the duff shots off the t you probably hit too..

Just saying

On the monitor when I was being fit, barring a terrible mishit which did happen about 1/10 shots or so, I averaged 250 carry I think it was around 266 total distance avg. If the typical amateur weekend golfer averaged in their 30 yard worm burners, their average would drop to about a 180 if that hahaha. Do as you will.

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

On the monitor when I was being fit, barring a terrible mishit which did happen about 1/10 shots or so, I averaged 250 carry I think it was around 266 total distance avg. If the typical amateur weekend golfer averaged in their 30 yard worm burners, their average would drop to about a 180 if that hahaha. Do as you will.

Which monitor did you use? I only trust the distance I get on my GPS or rangefinder, or a Flightscope or Trakman, because the people who can afford them can also afford the technicians to set them up correctly. An instrument is only as good as the user.

If you hit that far on the course, then there's no question.

So, while it's believable that you can hit as far as you say, you probably have a lot of other issues to fix.

BTW, average driving distance includes the worm burners. This is why when you gain consistency the average goes up rapidly.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

What follows is an extract from the Wall Street Journal's Golf Journal, written by :-

"I hit my drives 270 yards." Hah! Maybe once, with the wind behind you, on a rock-hard fairway, when the ball bounced off a cart path and a squirrel advanced it an extra 10 yards. On no subject are golfers, especially male golfers, more deluded than on the distance they hit their drives, with the possible exception of their attractiveness to beverage-cart personnel.

Here are the brutal facts, accumulated by Dave Pelz over several years of monitoring thousands of players at amateur tournaments. He used the same ShotLink equipment used by the PGA Tour to determine that, in 2011, the world's best players averaged 291 yards off the tee.

Male amateurs who play to a 30 handicap average drives of 166 yards; 20-handicappers average 183 yards; 10-handicappers average 214 yards; scratch amateurs average 235 yards. So dream on.

Food for thought, eh? Certainly far more believable than the grandiose claims being bandied about this thread.

What follows is an extract from the Wall Street Journal's Golf Journal, written by John Paul Newport:-

"I hit my drives 270 yards." Hah! Maybe once, with the wind behind you, on a rock-hard fairway, when the ball bounced off a cart path and a squirrel advanced it an extra 10 yards. On no subject are golfers, especially male golfers, more deluded than on the distance they hit their drives, with the possible exception of their attractiveness to beverage-cart personnel.

Here are the brutal facts, accumulated by Dave Pelz over several years of monitoring thousands of players at amateur tournaments. He used the same ShotLink equipment used by the PGA Tour to determine that, in 2011, the world's best players averaged 291 yards off the tee.

Male amateurs who play to a 30 handicap average drives of 166 yards; 20-handicappers average 183 yards; 10-handicappers average 214 yards; scratch amateurs average 235 yards. So dream on.

Food for thought, eh? Certainly far more believable than the grandiose claims being bandied about this thread.

Agreed, because some 100 yard worm burners will bring down the average . Handicap goes down and the inconsistency goes down and the average goes up. So, there's your correlation to HC, and of course swing mechanics is not taken into account in this correlation.

However, we should understand that when someone states that their swing speed and carry are 108 mph and 250 yards, they are not stating an average. I mean that your swing speed does not go down significantly with a worm burner.

If you average 214 yards (taking your HC index into account), and you have a variance of 10 yards, you should expect me or Dbrock504 to out drive you by a lot on many holes then get that worm burner to lower our averages down to 183-ish.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

[QUOTE name="buddhabob" url="/t/6529/what-is-your-swing-speed-and-carry/126#post_987976"]   god forbid anyone should question the money machine known as the Trackman which is wildly over prescribed by swing preachers and club fitters to untold armies of average golfers  as just another avenue to generate profits. [/QUOTE] Riiiiiight. Or it could be that I understand physics and realize that there's no mythical "earth energy" or whatever you're talking about.

Oh, but there is Erik. You just have to do a little back alley deal with @buddhabob , before you can connect with the "earth energies".

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Which monitor did you use? I only trust the distance I get on my GPS or rangefinder, or a Flightscope or Trakman, because the people who can afford them can also afford the technicians to set them up correctly. An instrument is only as good as the user.

If you hit that far on the course, then there's no question.

So, while it's believable that you can hit as far as you say, you probably have a lot of other issues to fix.

BTW, average driving distance includes the worm burners. This is why when you gain consistency the average goes up rapidly.

I don't know. It was whatever Golfsmith uses. I've also hit on Dick's Sporting Goods monitor as well as my private coach who is a certified Titleist fitter, if that means anything...

Right, but I don't include that when I factor in averages. When someone asks me what I usually hit with my 8 iron, my answer is a comfortable 150, hard 160 (I usually just say 150). I don't factor in the fact that I can and do sometimes mishit the club thus going 130 with a draw. Either way, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. I answered the question accurately given I hit a "normal" shot. Again, I think all of this is perception. Some people count putting off the fringe a putt, I don't. You're not on the green. Some people count hitting the fringe a GIR, I don't. It's only a GIR if you hit and stay on the green. So do as you will

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

I don't know. It was whatever Golfsmith uses. I've also hit on Dick's Sporting Goods monitor as well as my private coach who is a certified Titleist fitter, if that means anything...

Right, but I don't include that when I factor in averages. When someone asks me what I usually hit with my 8 iron, my answer is a comfortable 150, hard 160 (I usually just say 150). I don't factor in the fact that I can and do sometimes mishit the club thus going 130 with a draw. Either way, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. I answered the question accurately given I hit a "normal" shot. Again, I think all of this is perception. Some people count putting off the fringe a putt, I don't. You're not on the green. Some people count hitting the fringe a GIR, I don't. It's only a GIR if you hit and stay on the green. So do as you will

Right, of course you do. Averages only make sense in the context of improvement and benchmarking.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Its amusing how predictable and narrow minded middle aged golfers are and how married to gadgetry as well as if that's going to do anything whatsoever to improve their games. Its that same narrow mindedness that keeps you mired in mediocrity.  One is much better served by serious strength conditioning and elastic work. Distance is all about generating explosive power from the ground up, ask any top level athlete and he will emphasize this whether he is a boxer,sprinter,basketball player,baseball slugger, javelin guy or big hitter in golf. What do you think even an average swing preacher emphasizing 'balance' in a golf swing is talking about? He may not even realize it. Balance is about being grounded and generating power and dynamism  from the feet up. Without that you have what 95% of golfers have, huge breaks in the kinetic chain, power leaks all over the place and mediocrity.

Its amusing how predictable and narrow minded middle aged golfers are and how married to gadgetry as well as if that's going to do anything whatsoever to improve their games. Its that same narrow mindedness that keeps you mired in mediocrity.  One is much better served by serious strength conditioning and elastic work. Distance is all about generating explosive power from the ground up, ask any top level athlete and he will emphasize this whether he is a boxer,sprinter,basketball player,baseball slugger, javelin guy or big hitter in golf. What do you think even an average swing preacher emphasizing 'balance' in a golf swing is talking about? He may not even realize it. Balance is about being grounded and generating power and dynamism  from the feet up. Without that you have what 95% of golfers have, huge breaks in the kinetic chain, power leaks all over the place and mediocrity.

Ya I'm calling bullshit on this.. You speak about mysterious powers and general terms like keep a balanced swing and expect that people will lay out the red carpet... So yeah say what you like I'm not buying..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

So my question is, how do these "ground forces" help me do anything but hit the ball further? You keep talking like distance is the end-all when it comes to playing better, but I know I certainly play better taking a distance drop by hitting my 3-wood on most tees instead of my driver. Do I lose maybe 20 yards on each tee shot? Yes, but I also know I'm more likely to hit the fairway (my personal stats gathered show that I hit the fairway about 1.75x more with my 3-wood than driver, with no statistically significant difference in GIR with an alpha level of 5%). So describe to me exactly what these "ground forces" are and how they're supposed to work and I'll give you a legitimate chance to convince me. If all you're going to say though is "even average swing preachers emphasize balance" and "generate power from the feet up" I can guarantee you that I will skip over it all and never look back. Just explain it to me with some sort of data to back it up if you will.

Those gadgets are all we have. . .:~( Seriously, the only thing I agree with you is about the strength conditioning and especially the elastic work. I used to do elastic work in martial arts and had the students under my supervision use elastics in their training. They developed explosive power from the feet up, as you state. There is nothing ethereal about that. It's basic directed resistance training. I am also starting to do it with golf, but using air resistance instead of elastic resistance. I swing with a series of fan like devices. The issue with elastics is that they are too directional. I suppose I could see building a robot arm to resist a golfers movement in the precise directions needed to build speed, but a simple fan seems to do the trick. In any case, what you are talking about will only work if the golfer already has a solid swing or a coach that will correct any mistakes on a regular basis. If not, the person could be performing a detrimental exercise to their swing development. You can't make general sweeping statements without clarification, and in this case it could lead to potential injury if not done correctly.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
Its amusing how predictable and narrow minded middle aged golfers are and how married to gadgetry as well as if that's going to do anything whatsoever to improve their games.

As opposed to believing in "earth energy"?

No, sorry, you don't get to make sweeping statements. I own a FlightScope, a SwingCatalyst, several high-speed cameras, a SAM PuttLab, and more… and don't always use them. I rarely even use two at a time. They're tools, and it's up to the instructor (me in my case) to apply them properly.

They're way, way more practical and do more to "improve [golfers'] games" than believing in "earth energy."

Its that same narrow mindedness that keeps you mired in mediocrity.

As if you know whether everyone's "mired in mediocrity." Cut the crap man.

I've got LOTS of students who are improving all the time.

Distance is all about generating explosive power from the ground up, ask any top level athlete and he will emphasize this whether he is a boxer,sprinter,basketball player,baseball slugger, javelin guy or big hitter in golf.

Nobody's really disagreed with you on that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So describe to me exactly what these "ground forces" are and how they're supposed to work and I'll give you a legitimate chance to convince me. If all you're going to say though is "even average swing preachers emphasize balance" and "generate power from the feet up" I can guarantee you that I will skip over it all and never look back. Just explain it to me with some sort of data to back it up if you will.

I realize you are talking to @buddhabob but good video to check out in case you haven't seen it

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Just coming on this thread....I've been playing golf for 55 years now (I'm 62) I've been a single digit handicapper since I was 13 years old...not being a braggart just filling in some background...In my prime I probably averaged around 240-260(with a wood driver and balata balls)...now my swing speed is a bit slower (95-100MPH) and I average consistently about 230-235 with an occasional BIG drive registering 250+. Distance helps surely in scoring BUT it isn't the be all and end all of golf...learning HOW TO SCORE, how to get the ball in the hole after missing a green...relates also to course management and leaving yourself better chances to make Par or Birdie when the time is right. One of my golfing buddies can hit the ball much further than I can but he is challenged to break 100...he doesn't really know how to play the game IMHO...but he is learning and I encourage him every step of the way....sorry if I got off topic.

What's in my bag

Cobra Speed LD-F 10.5* Driver

Callaway XHot 15* 3-wood

Tour Edge Bazooka 5-wood

Tour Edge Bazooka 7-wood

Wilson Staff Ci9 Irons 4-GW

Mizuno T-Zoid Sand Wedge 56*

Odyssey White Hot #2

Note: This thread is 3468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!