IGNORED

Who Is Your All-time Favorite Golfer?

dfreuter415
Note: This thread is 2856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 4/25/2016 at 11:10 AM, NJpatbee said:

I was not a golfer during Arnold Palmer's prime days but in studying his past, his aggressive attitude on the course and everyman persona helped open this country up for many more golfers of my parent's generation and as a result for myself.  That makes Arnie my favorite all-time golfer.  The best golfer of all time is a different question.

First BC guy I've seen on TST.  I'm about to graduate in 2 weeks. Cheers!

As for my favorite all-time golfer, I wish I was around to see Palmer, Hogan, and Player, but I haven't seen enough of them to choose one (though I know they did great things for the game).  Growing up, of course I loved to watch Tiger, but I think I'm gonna have to go with Phil.  He's always great at interacting with fans and he seems like a pretty regular guy outside of golf.  However, with the recent rise of the like of Spieth, Fowler, Rory, etc. my answer might change 10 years from now.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My top 5 favorite golfers...

5) Speith - for making me feel not so bad about my chicken wing.

4) Tom Watson - I just like the guy.

3) Wie - She's 150 pounds and can rip the ball 275+. She's fun to watch.

2) Tiger - because he's Tiger.

1) Couples - smoothest swing I've ever seen.

For me, it was Nicklaus. I grew up during Palmer ascendancy, and a lot of my relatives, on my Mom's side, were from western Pa! So they were all Palmer fans. But I lived in Ohio, and when the young Buckeye started bumping Arnie off at all the wrong times, I saw an opportunity to foment unrest in the camp!

On 4/28/2016 at 11:25 AM, sarena1594 said:

First BC guy I've seen on TST.  I'm about to graduate in 2 weeks. Cheers!

As for my favorite all-time golfer, I wish I was around to see Palmer, Hogan, and Player, but I haven't seen enough of them to choose one (though I know they did great things for the game).  Growing up, of course I loved to watch Tiger, but I think I'm gonna have to go with Phil.  He's always great at interacting with fans and he seems like a pretty regular guy outside of golf.  However, with the recent rise of the like of Spieth, Fowler, Rory, etc. my answer might change 10 years from now.

Cheers right back and congratulations!  I graduated when Nixon was President and one of my daughters graduated from BC Law a few years ago.  BC is a great school and if your memories are anything like mine you will stay an Eagle for the rest of your life.  

52 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

Cheers right back and congratulations!  I graduated when Nixon was President and one of my daughters graduated from BC Law a few years ago.  BC is a great school and if your memories are anything like mine you will stay an Eagle for the rest of your life.  

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Hoping that my future kids will one day grow up as Eagles and choose BC when their time comes. Fingers crossed!

All-time Favorite:  With out a doubt, Freddie "Boom Boom" Couples!

Current Favorites:
Stenson, Kisner, Hoffman, Scott & "Mr Smooth" aka Angel Cabrera!

Driver: Titleist - 910 D2; 10.5*
3-Wood: TaylorMade - Burner Superfast; 15*
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics - XGC3 3-AW
Wedges: PING -56* & 60* Pro Wedges BlkDot
Putter: PING - G2i My Day
Ball: Bridgestone TOUR B330‑RX
Bag: PING - Hoofer 2 - Red/White/Blue
Shoe: Footjoy - Classic Brown Leather

Tommy Watson. Before him it was Tony Lema

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

It would have to be Arnold Palmer. I first saw him when my Dad played with him in a Pro-Am when I was 11 years old, and Arnie went on to win the tournament. I've also met him on two other occasions and he was as gracious as a person could be.

I Also fell for Freddie Couples as well. Loved his swing and another personable guy.

Bill M

Jack Nicklaus growing up. 

For today, for my life right now, Miguel Angel Jimenez.   Just for the way he enjoys life. 

Though I never got a chance to watch him in a live event, Ben Hogan.  His life story and work ethic are an inspiration that you can overcome just about anything if you're willing to work hard enough.  

In terms of golfers I grew up watching I'd have to say Phil.  While I will always be a Tiger fan and marvel at the dominance he exhibited over the field, Phil is the guy I relate to most.  As a fellow lefty, Phil just made golf look fun and always seemed appreciative of the crowds that went out to support him.  

Joe Paradiso

John Daly. He was (and continues to be) good for the game. Look at how much coverage his Champions Tour debut got! His blue collar persona, his very public (and often scrutinized) personal struggles, his big length off the tee to match his big waistline, and his flashy Loudmouth pants all set him apart from the herd. And to be blunt, for the most part the "herd" is boring right now! Too many guys like Davis Love and David Toms and Harris English out there at the moment. Nothing personal against DL3 or Harris or guys like them, but they are a dime a dozen on Tour and they lend themselves to the "Vanilla, rich boy Country Clubbers" stereotype that has plagued the sport in recent history. It's exciting to see some young swashbuckling superstars like Ricky and Spieth and Day (and of course the true athlete Tiger even past his prime), but in my mind nobody touches JD in terms of sheer character. He's not perfect, and that's why I like him so much. I know I am going to take some abuse for this one haha..

Tough call.  I am old and have watched a lot of players over the years and there have been some great one and very good but just not great.  I sort of like Tom Kite because in spite of his small size he had the heart of a lion.  There was no quit in the guy.

Butch

Arnie was my guy when I was young...Payne is there too and Homero Blancas who has been mentioned many times by fellow professionals who have hosted PGA Tour events and Champions Tour events....a class guy

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

Note: This thread is 2856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!