IGNORED

Who Is Your All-time Favorite Golfer?

dfreuter415
Note: This thread is 2855 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by colin007

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Payne Stewart. loved by all and hated by none.

Don't mean to be contentious, but I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Stop being contentious I don't supose that saying would be true for anyone, even Jesus, Buddha, Ghandi, or Payne. Can't say he wasn't very well liked on tour though...

dak4n6

Originally Posted by WWBDD

The Mechanic ... hope he recovers soon.

Yup - I love Jimenez because of all the guys out there playing, you see he has a home-built swing and he's just enjoying himself and after the round you know he's not heading to the range - he's heading for a good cigar and glass of rioja.

That being said, you can't deny it's great watching Tiger simply because you know you are watching greatness.  Even if you don't like them, I think we would all love to have seen Babe Ruth, Gordie Howe, Ty Cobb, and Bobby Jones in their prime - with Tiger, we are getting a chance to see that.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

• Administrator

Stop being contentious I don't supose that saying would be true for anyone, even Jesus, Buddha, Ghandi, or Payne. Can't say he wasn't very well liked on tour though...

Payne was well liked among his friends, but many still disliked him, and he was not well liked during the first 2/3 or so of his career.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Corey Pavin. When I first started playing, the big boys on tour were Faldo, Price, Norman, etc. I loved that Corey was this undersized, quiet guy who just went about his business. Plus, I won a good bit of money when he won the U.S. Open at Shinnecock.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Gary Player. He achieved greatness that surpassed his natural talent level. At 5'6'', he won nine majors in the Palmer/Nicklaus era. He didn't have the physical gifts of Nicklaus, Palmer, Trevino, or Watson, but outworked them. Many of the games' greats say they could have won more majors, but Player won more than he should have through willpower and fitness. Player isn't love able, but I admire his relentless tenacity.
  • Upvote 1

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Originally Posted by iacas

Payne was well liked among his friends, but many still disliked him, and he was not well liked during the first 2/3 or so of his career.

Why? I always heard and remember him being popular on tour..maybe that was through the TV lens.

dak4n6

Why? I always heard and remember him being popular on tour..maybe that was through the TV lens.

im pretty sure he had the reputation of being a major a-hole...

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

You've seen highlights of the War on the Shore?

The Ryder Cup is a whole other animal.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Tiger and I'm quite bias when he's in contention.  I'll curse other players sinking bombs, screaming at my TV that it's lucky BS.  I like almost all golfers tho, except a few.

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

Originally Posted by Hoganwoods

Tiger and I'm quite bias when he's in contention.  I'll curse other players sinking bombs, screaming at my TV that it's lucky BS.  I like almost all golfers tho, except a few.

Normally I root for a come back, a playoff, or something exciting like that.  When Tiger is winning I want him to win by 10.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

Normally I root for a come back, a playoff, or something exciting like that.  When Tiger is winning I want him to win by 10.

I'm the same.  I don't care if he's leading by 10 on the first tee Sunday, I'll watch.  If its another tour event without him, I want it to be close though.

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

Graeme McDowell. He's an all-around great guy on and off the course.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Good afternoon all.  My favorite player that most of you never heard of (yes, I like Jack, Arnie, Tiger, Phil, etc.) is Calvin Peete.  As a little boy (in the late 70s) growing up in Hattiesburg, MS, I normally played the university golf course by walking a mile through the woods and starting on #4 (I didnt steal/cheat...it was too far to walk all the way around to the start...a couple of miles...we WERE members).  One particular week was when the Magnolia Classic was scheduled to start (PGA event that became the Viking Classic in Jackson, MS).  As a young lad, I sucked.  I was a horrible slicer (baseball swing w/ persimmon woods).  As I made my way around the course (in a lot of strokes), a golfer caught up to me.  He had a slightly awkward swing...but man...could he play.  He was one of the few black men that I ever saw on this course.  His name was Calvin Peete. He took pity on me and took the time to show me a couple of improvements.  I will never forget his kindness towards a young boy he would never know or see again.

Just my thoughts,

Armygolfer4life

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2855 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!