IGNORED

My Swing (LSU_justin)

LSU_justin
Note: This thread is 3907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 15 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 13 last year but currently playing like a 20

My typical ball flight is: Push or a push slice

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Push slice and the occasional pull

Sorry for the not so great quality of the video. I could never get the right distance back to capture the entire swing. The tripod I ordered is on the way and I had to make due standing it up on a bag stand. I also forgot to switch from the 30fps to the 60fps setting. I'll get a better video up in the next few days.

This is with a 6 iron. 1st and 3rd started straight then faded. 2nd was a shank, ugh. Swing was a lot worse than I thought.

I plan to start evolvr once I get my tripod in.

Videos:

Here's a link if the embed doesn't work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eAAm9jEh-Y

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Two better videos from today. I think the camera angle was a little off on the dtl because it didn't look like a pull on the range.

Looks like I have a few things to work on. I submitted these two to evolvr and can't wait to get working with them.

I like your swing a lot. It has some great elements that I think give you a lot of potential. The setup and tempo are awesome in my opinion. It looks like you have great flexibility too. While I'm not a low handicap or anything, I see a few small things you might work on.

A couple things I could add, that I have had problems with myself. The picture illustrates both of these points:

1. At the top of the backswing, you have a little too much shoulder turn. This is causing your head to get pulled to your right, and the ball is no longer in the center of your vision. Keeping a steady head is key in consistency in striking the ball. Another thing is the over rotation causes your trail elbow to end up behind your body and in a tough position to get back around to the ball without going over the top. An easy fix is to feel like your right elbow is staying attached to your right rib cage at the top of the backswing. Of course it won't actually be there, but this exaggerated feeling will help you prevent over-rotation of the shoulders.

2. From the picture, you can see at the top of the backswing your weight is "tipping" towards the target. This is caused by an over rotation of the hips and tilting your spine towards the target. Its not terrible and it may also have something to do with the big shoulder turn, but you don't want your weight going towards the target on the backswing. This means that to get any energy into your swing you must then move your weight away from the target and then towards the target again all in the downswing. This is hard to do. To fix this, look at the top of your backswing from down the line. You will see that your left knee is kicking in towards the ball. While a little bit of this is not bad, too much causes the over rotation of the hips. Try not to let it kick so far in. Try to feel as if you are pivoting around a central point, keeping your spine angle at address throughout the backswing. This will prevent your weight from tipping forward at the top of the backswing.

I think those are a few things to try that might help in starting to get rid of that slice. Your swing looks very similar to mine and these are things that I have struggled with a lot, and have had the same slicing problem. I feel ya.

• Administrator
You will like your Evolvr a lot Justin. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am going to refrain from commenting because the Evolver guys are far smarter than me, but it will be interesting to see your swing after the lesson and let us know what you are working on. We all can learn from your progress.

Michael

Got my first analysis last night. Headed to the range after work to work on key #3. They want me to change my grip and do some punch type drills.

Here's a few videos of me trying to do the punch drill. Swinging a bit too long in these videos. I'm getting a lower ball flight and not hitting as many balloon shots as I used to. Also been hitting mostly baby draws on full swings but still get the occasional slice especially when I'm tired.

Here are some full swings from today. Cold and windy. With the wind blowing hard into me and little to the right.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by LSU_justin

Here's a few videos of me trying to do the punch drill. Swinging a bit too long in these videos.

Yes. Keep making them a bit shorter. This is a "full swing" in virtually everyone's books:

Much better , but keep doing it. MOAR MOAR MOAR! :D

P.S. Again, MUCH better. Good work.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Oh the problems of overswinging for so long.

You'll get it, just takes time, patience and practicing correctly (which it seems like you're doing).  I bet you could play some pretty good golf with your "punch swing".  Nice work Justin!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Oh the problems of overswinging for so long.

Change from this type of move takes time. It took me a while to complete stop it and I still have to watch it from time to time or I will go back to doing it. It is like being an addict, you always have to make sure you are vigilant about keeping an eye on it.

Michael

Use your shoulders to turn not your hands..

Over Rotation can be cured by using only your shoulders to rotate.

Too much wrist (if you replay in slow-motion you realize your (casting) the club and then turning , quite seasoned swing can be used but inconsistent and too much effort needed. Imagine playing a tournament 36 holes...

Cheers (just my thoughts)

• 2 weeks later...
Shot my lowest 9 today a 38. But was unable to capitalize on it and shot 48 on the back. I've noticed an increase in consistency and my misses aren't as bad as they used to be. The lessons are helping a lot. I also included a new swing thought. Instead of trying to swing as fast as I can on the downswing, I bring the club to the top and feel like the arms get real heavy and let them come down on their own. I've played two rounds with this thought and shot in the 80s both times. I've also picked up some distance as well. We'll see if this is a permanent solution or just a temporary fix.

It seems like your weight goes forward on the backswing and the downswing, when it should be going a little to your right foot then almost all to your left foot.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Originally Posted by onephenom

It seems like your weight goes forward on the backswing and the downswing, when it should be going a little to your right foot then almost all to your left foot.

Weight isn't forward here, nice job though with Key #1

http://thesandtrap.com/t/64993/weight-forward-using-swingcatalyst-and-sam-balance-lab-to-explain-pressure-throughout-the-swing

http://thesandtrap.com/t/65681/s-t-2-0-dvds-and-pressure-weight-forward-an-examination

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Weight isn't forward here, nice job though with Key #1 [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/72478/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/64993/weight-forward-using-swingcatalyst-and-sam-balance-lab-to-explain-pressure-throughout-the-swing]http://thesandtrap.com/t/64993/weight-forward-using-swingcatalyst-and-sam-balance-lab-to-explain-pressure-throughout-the-swing[/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/65681/s-t-2-0-dvds-and-pressure-weight-forward-an-examination]http://thesandtrap.com/t/65681/s-t-2-0-dvds-and-pressure-weight-forward-an-examination[/URL]

Thanks. Those are some good links, I've read thru them before. I know where the weight should be, just looked off to me. Gonna go back through those threads. Easy to forget a few things.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

• 1 month later...

Weather hasn't been too nice the past few weeks and I wasn't able to practice as much as I would have liked to. My last lesson James wanted me to work on a few address changes, knees more bent and head tilted down more, and a steeper hip slant at the top of the backswing.

Here are a few swings from today. I submitted them earlier to evolvr.

Setup looks really good. P4 is much, much better, too. You're doing great!

Be fo:

Af ta:

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 3907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!