IGNORED

Playing alone question

JeMo636
Note: This thread is 3909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really like playing with other people. No one is there to see your shot to help find balls whether it be in the air or rough, it's nice to have a friend. :-D

"Don't always believe quotes you read on the internet, they might be fake." Abraham Lincoln :tmade: RBZ 8.5 Driver _ :touredge: 52* 56* 60* wedges _ :nike: MOJO Ball :tmade: RBZ Stage 2: #3 hybrid _ :adams: #5 & #6 hybrid :tmade: RBZ Irons _ :odyssey: White hot #3 blade putter :nike: Lunar Control Shoe _ :golflogix: For iPhone

Originally Posted by Hardballs

I have a friend who always plays better on his own, he often tells me about the amazing shots he does when there's nobody around to see it!

Does he also fish and tell you how big a fish he caught ?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I play alone, I typically don't keep score. I played 9 by myself last night and hit 3-4 balls every hole, just worked on unusual shots, driving, ball striking, short game stuff. Especially if you're following a foursome, you can get some good practice in.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I somewhat prefer to play with others, especially friends, but won't give up a solo round if no one is available. My current schedule only allows for once a week, so if I can play and nobody else can, I will usually play. If alone and health and weather permit, I like to walk. I will sometimes play for score, and as others have said if the situation merits, I will use the solitude for practice time for shots you just can't feel on the range.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by Motown88

Greatly said, sounds exactly like myself.  To many people get caught up in the notion that playing alone isn't fun or productive.  It can be very productive if you approach the game with the right mind set.

I do the same. I really need to improve my game, so playing alone allows me to focus on exactly that. I play a par 3 to work on the short game. There is usually no one around on a late evening, so  I can drop balls at certain distances to pitch to the green, into the cat box to work out my sand game, etc. I like it, but it is fun to play with someone, usually my son. We have a great time, but the practice I get on the course, I find is better than a range.

I love playing alone. I have been playing once a week at 6:00AM when there is usually no one else at the course. Since I am a novice, I am sensitive to holding up other players, so if I am there that early, there is no one else to hold up. I don't have to worry about anyone else seeing my awful shots when I hit one. Also, I don't have a lot of free time and have two kids, so everyone is still asleep when I am gone.

Plus, it is very pleasant to be in a park setting as the sun is beginning to rise, and everything around you is quiet. Except for this morning when the cropduster was flying right over my head on holes 4 and 5, but even that I didn't mind.

This question may be betters suited for the handicap thread, but I'm going to toss it out there in this one first and see if people respond.

What is everyone's opinion on posting scores for handicap if playing alone.  The reason I ask this, and maybe I'm the minority when it comes to golf, but I tend to play better when I'm alone.  I know I play by the rules but others may argue (although a lower handicap will just benefit them).  I also am aware that according to the handicap manual (whatever it's actually called) allows you to post when playing alone.  Just want to see what others have to say on this issue.

This question may be betters suited for the handicap thread, but I'm going to toss it out there in this one first and see if people respond.  What is everyone's opinion on posting scores for handicap if playing alone.  The reason I ask this, and maybe I'm the minority when it comes to golf, but I tend to play better when I'm alone.  I know I play by the rules but others may argue (although a lower handicap will just benefit them).  I also am aware that according to the handicap manual (whatever it's actually called) allows you to post when playing alone.  Just want to see what others have to say on this issue.

All rounds should be posted unless they're not played by the rules. A practice round in which you play multiple balls or try various shots from the same spot for example.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

All rounds should be posted unless they're not played by the rules. A practice round in which you play multiple balls or try various shots from the same spot for example.

Do you have issues with people questioning your rounds that you did not have another person with you?  I play alone fairly often, especially now that my fellow golfers are working opposite shifts then me at work.  I've had a few people question my last couple rounds which have been really good for this season, I know they're legit but no one else can verify that for me.  Not sure why this is an issue seeing that my handicap is trending back down to where it was at the start of the season, just wondering if anyone else has issues similar to this with there regular golfing crew!

I also would like to know what to do when you play alone and there is nobody to verify your card. I guess its the honor system, but if there is nobody to sign off on your card, what are you supposed to do?  I do not belong to any club, and the only reason I even started maintaining handicaps was for my own personal track record. I follow the rules, and post every round, but only have started doing it this year. I don't really feel the need to get an official USGA handicap, but it certainly would not hurt and is affordable I presume.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Quote:

Do you have issues with people questioning your rounds that you did not have another person with you?  I play alone fairly often, especially now that my fellow golfers are working opposite shifts then me at work.  I've had a few people question my last couple rounds which have been really good for this season, I know they're legit but no one else can verify that for me.  Not sure why this is an issue seeing that my handicap is trending back down to where it was at the start of the season, just wondering if anyone else has issues similar to this with there regular golfing crew!

The only way anyone should question it is if it goes the other way.  If you are returning 85's and then shooting 78's in competition, then there is something to talk about.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

That's what I say...I only hurt myself by shooting 80 when I play by myself and posting the scores. I just wanted to see if anyone else agreed with my coworkers though, glad to see other serious golfers see it the way I do!

Originally Posted by Hacker James

I also would like to know what to do when you play alone and there is nobody to verify your card. I guess its the honor system, but if there is nobody to sign off on your card, what are you supposed to do?  I do not belong to any club, and the only reason I even started maintaining handicaps was for my own personal track record. I follow the rules, and post every round, but only have started doing it this year. I don't really feel the need to get an official USGA handicap, but it certainly would not hurt and is affordable I presume.

Their is no requirement that scores be attested or verified.  In fact I don't think a club can require cards to be turned in other than on a periodic basis.  From the USGA Handicap Manual:

5-2a/3. Requiring the Return of Scorecards for Handicap Purposes

Q: May a handicap committee require the returning of scorecards from players in order for a score to be posted?

A: No. However, scorecards may be requested periodically if the Handicap Committee wishes to sample the accuracy with which players are adjusting scores. In any case, the club must not take punitive action regarding the scoring record or the Handicap Index if a scorecard does not accompany a score.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The only way anyone should question it is if it goes the other way.  If you are returning 85's and then shooting 78's in competition, then there is something to talk about.

^^^^This exactly^^^^^

If it's your buddies questioning your handicap going down , they're nothing but jealous.....and honestly, don't understand the primary purpose of the handicap system.  They should be happy when the number goes down, because it keeps them more competitive with you as the better player.

There really shouldn't be any issue if you play with them even somewhat regularly.  They should be able to see that you play properly and post all your scores, whether good or bad and are able to tell that trends are just that, trends.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I just played this morning and was thinking I was going alone and was paired with two guys that actually turned out to be a lot of fun. I'm twenty five and these guys were pushing retirement but they knew their game and physics well and gave me a few pointers that I couldn't see alone. Also, it is crazy awesome to have people be able to spot your ball in the air and help track those rare misses and slices ;-)

"Don't always believe quotes you read on the internet, they might be fake." Abraham Lincoln :tmade: RBZ 8.5 Driver _ :touredge: 52* 56* 60* wedges _ :nike: MOJO Ball :tmade: RBZ Stage 2: #3 hybrid _ :adams: #5 & #6 hybrid :tmade: RBZ Irons _ :odyssey: White hot #3 blade putter :nike: Lunar Control Shoe _ :golflogix: For iPhone

The course where I play most of my rounds has a lot of seniors that play early int he morning like I do. Since the course is usually dead in the morning you don't get forced to pair up with people but there are a few seniors that I know from golfing so much that I'll gladly get paired up with any day. Two guys in particular are retired air force veterans and I swear all they've done since geting out of the service is golf. They're scratch golfers at the age of 60+...it's a pleasure playing with them and learning a thing or two!

I played once after a rain storm. Found myself all alone. Really enjoyed it.

Played the par 3's from multiple tees. Tried different clubs for tee shots. Charted yardages.

The par 5's I used fairway woods instead of the ol' driver...........and played better.

It turned out to be one of my favorite times playing. Played more than one ball. Didn't worry about score either.

Oh yea................it took me a little over three  hours to play 18 this way.

Note: This thread is 3909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!