IGNORED

X-Flex or S-Flex Help...

Note: This thread is 4055 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So i'm being fitted for a new driver, and i'm really having an internal debate on whether to get an X or S flex shaft in the club.  I tested both out in a fitting, where my swing speed ranged anywhere between a 102 to 112 (thank you current golf lessons for messing with head), but the average was a 108.2 with the S, and 107.9 with the X.  In the new driver I was fitted with, I was reaching optimal launch angles with both shafts, both shafts were averaging about the same speeds and distances.  The dispersion was a bit less with the X than the S, but not by much (noting it from naked eye test, as I wasnt really pushing anything to the right with the X shaft as i've read from results in other posts).  Lastly, and maybe in my mind, but the weights of the shafts are supposedly the same, but I felt the X flex was a bit heavier when held, which I actually liked.

My question is, if I went ahead with the X flex, am I missing something or would I miss something based on everyone's experience between the two options?  It's more of a question I have based on some of the things i've read on the internet (and the internet is always right as you know) that have put some of these questions in my head.  Experience and input would be better trusted coming from this forum.  Much appreciated...

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

That's tough, I view it this way, say you aren't warmed up, or at the start of the season after a lay off do you still have the SS for an X? If you hit the stiff just as well as an X I'd go with the stiff, in the day of adjustable drivers it doesn't take much to swap a shaft at different points of the season if you felt the need.

Originally Posted by mutadayen

... but the average was a 108.2 with the S, and 107.9 with the X.

That's almost exactly what I tested at last time I was fit for a driver (in December) ... and I ended up going with an X flex.  (Actually, I got the X-flex in May when I got my RazrFit, but didn't get to see numbers on a Trackman until December ... when I got my xHot and stuck with the same X-flex shaft :))

The dispersion was a bit less with the X than the S, but not by much (noting it from naked eye test, as I wasnt really pushing anything to the right with the X shaft as i've read from results in other posts).

I had a similar result here, hence the decision, however, my dispersion was a lot less with the X.

My question is, if I went ahead with the X flex, am I missing something or would I miss something based on everyone's experience between the two options?

In my opinion, no.

Obviously, everybody is totally different, but I gained a much tighter dispersion with my X-flex shafted driver while sacrificing a barely noticeable amount of distance.  At most, maybe I lost 5 yards.  (And I gained it all back when I went to the xhot)  I liked the look and sound of my old driver (D3) better than the new one (RazrFit), so every once in awhile, I'd bring it out and do another side-by-side comparison, with the results always being the same.  However, my new new driver (xhot) looks and sounds better than the RazrFit did, and is just as appealing to me as the D3 was, so I don't even need to compare anymore. :)

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Apples to apples, if I had a 108 average ss it would be an X. At 103 I am a true stiff  in most of the shafts I have looked at.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I would wait until you get used to playing for a month and see if your swing frees up. I am on the border of xs shaft and when I tested them, even though my swing speed was saying xs the shots were not performing like they should. SS was not either. Finally I tried a Project X 7C3 shaft that is kind of a blended version of the SS and the XS and it worked great. Your swing and mine are probably not similar so I would try one if you are still waiting to buy.

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4055 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!