IGNORED

Nicest pros?

Davie81
Note: This thread is 4031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just wondering what pros anyones come across who suprised them with how nice they were or otherwise?

I couldn't believe how friendly and nice DJ and G-MAC were with the fans especially the kids at the Dunhill Championship a couple of years ago.

Harrington and Montgomerie on the other hand........

I've heard that most all of the younger up and coming guys are pretty nice in general and tend to treat fans and others respectfully ( I've heard Rory is the opposite though) I have also heard that Phil is great about staying and signing a lot or all he can for fans. Seems pretty genuine to me.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

I've seen Rory once while he was still under the Chandler management and he seemed to be ok.  Think he's changed now with all the extra attention etc.

Ernie Els and Oosthuizen are also in the friendly camp for me.

Phil, Bubba, Westwood, Donald, G Mac A+

Woods, Harrington, Mahan F.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

I spent several hours at the practice round day at Innisbrook (Tampa Bay Championship).  Gotta give props to Luke Guthrie. I stood at the 2nd tee box and watch he and a few other players tee off. Luke turned around and actually talked to us -  later in the day, I was standing alone near the 18th green watching a group hit approach shots. Once again, Luke walked by and said hello (not knowing I was the same guy on the 2nd hole).  Seems like a really appreciative guy who is happy to be on the tour and doing what he's doing.

Other players very cordial today was Gary Woodland, Nick Watney - signed stuff for fans, talked to them - interacted wtih the folks behind the ropes.

Of the ones I've actually run into, Nick Price would be at the top of the list.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

99% of the LPGA pros are so friendly.;....no comparison to the guys. Natalie Gulbis and Belen Mozo are the benchmark. I`m surprised Harrington is not friendly.

No offense to the ladies, but I think part of the reason is probably because men's golf is more popular, so the overwhelming number of fans probably gets really annoying, even if it shouldn't. But I think you're right about 99%... at least 90+

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

I can understand how players are focused during their practice and during tournaments. Everywhere they go there are people tugging at them for a picture, glove, autograph. Even saw grown men asking for autographs on their hats yesterday during practice rounds -they didn't even know the player's names or what they've done on the tour.

I know that even when I have a $1 bet with my group, I get tunnel vision to keep my concentration on the course - so I can imagine what these guys have to do to stay focused.  Can't blame them for not acknowledging those around - and makes pros like Lefty who smiles, nods his head, signs balls, gloves, gives up his Rolex, etc etc - fan favorites.

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

I can understand how players are focused during their practice and during tournaments. Everywhere they go there are people tugging at them for a picture, glove, autograph. Even saw grown men asking for autographs on their hats yesterday during practice rounds -they didn't even know the player's names or what they've done on the tour.

One of my favorite practice round stories.......I may have told it here long ago.

At the Masters for a practice round in 2006.  We're sitting right on the tee box on 16, the short par 3 over the water.  Fun place to sit because during practice rounds, it's traditional for the pros to move to the front of the box and try to hit the green by intentionally skipping the ball over the water.  Lots of joking, laughing, and interaction with the pros.

Up walks a group with Tom Lehman.  The group hits their shots and then moves to the front and skips a couple of balls, as usual.  There's a dad and his 10 year old son right next to me.  We're all having fun interacting with the players, when Lehman walks over and picks the kid up and over the railing.  He takes him to the front of the box, drops down 2 balls and hands him a club and says, go for it!  Lehman's caddie grabs dad's camera and starts snapping away.  Kid promptly dunks both balls (who wouldn't?!) and Lehman high 5's him, gives him a signed ball, and lifts him back over the railing.  Caddie gives the STUNNED dad his camera back and they move on.  I guarantee, that's something the kid, and especially dad will never forget!

I had heard that Lehman could be a little standoffish prior to that, but that pretty much changed my mind.  Very cool.....

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I haven't really met too many golfers but the ones that I have met and talked with that were very friendly were Davis Love III, Brad Faxon,  Zach Johnson, and Fredrik Jacobson.

Brad Faxon took the time while on the putting green to come over and talk with my step son and I and sign autographs.  He spoke with my step son like he was part of the family.

Fredrik walked up to us after the 18th and took his golf ball signed it, handed it to my step son, and told him to never lose his love for the game.

We didn't talk to Davis a lot but he had no issues signing autographs and joking with us about his drive he hit into the bunker.

Zach Johnson had no issues with autographs and was very friendly although he had a TON of people he was trying to get to.

But overall, my step son will never forget meeting Fredrik Jacobson.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Originally Posted by onephenom

No offense to the ladies, but I think part of the reason is probably because men's golf is more popular, so the overwhelming number of fans probably gets really annoying, even if it shouldn't. But I think you're right about 99%... at least 90+

Also remember the gals have to SELL their tour cause it's not very popular....so all the gals need to participate with being friendly to uplift and differentiate their LPGA brand vs. other tours.

To all....thx for sharing your nice stories and keep em comin.

Harrington is deceiving. Always comes across as a cheery guy but the 3 times I've seen him, he's been rude to the fans who are at the front of the tee box and pretty much comes across that they've not to even speak to him.

Followed Billy Andrade and Brad Faxon during a practice round at Greensboro years ago.As they walked off the first green, they came over to me,shook my hand and introduced themselves. I followed them the whole round, and we talked the entire time. They were very nice guys.

I have never met any of them but a friend of mine that was a course superintendant and knew most of the players in the 70s goes on and on about how good a guy Tom Watson was.

The stories about who he didn't like was more interesting (and very surprising to me) but I won't mention those names.

I suppose what we see in front of the cameras is not necessarily what they are like away from the course.

Originally Posted by MS256

I have never met any of them but a friend of mine that was a course superintendant and knew most of the players in the 70s goes on and on about how good a guy Tom Watson was.

The stories about who he didn't like was more interesting (and very surprising to me) but I won't mention those names.

I suppose what we see in front of the cameras is not necessarily what they are like away from the course.

I love Tom Watson, I think he's the cat's pyjamas!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Phil, cink, davis love all great guys. payne stewart was a really great guy too.

Tiger not so much. he often takes cut throughs in the woods on the way to the clubhouse to avoid fans asking for signatures.

Sergio is one of my favorite golfers but i was really disappointed when i followed him an entire thursday round one year at east lake and he tossed me a ball on the way to the 13th. it had his stamp on it which looks like a monkey. i went ahead and skipped to autograph area after the 18th hole when he was on 16 so i could have a spot and get him to sign it on the way into the clubhouse. he got around to me and i handed him the ball. he replied "i don't sign balls" i said thats ok but its your ball and showed him his stamp, he insisted on not signing it so i settled for a signed ticket stub but was really disappointed. I still kept the ball but wish it had that sig. I thought that was kind of cheesy.

Bag:  ping.gif Hoofer

Driver: titleist.gif 910D2 9.5* Ahina 72

Irons: titleist.gif AP2 712

Hybrid: adams.gif Idea A12 19*

Wedges: cleveland.gif 58* vokey.gif 52*

Putter:  odyssey.gif DFX 2 Ball Blade

Note: This thread is 4031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!