IGNORED

My Edel Putter Fitting

Note: This thread is 2424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No doubt. You should email him the text of that thread Erik wrote ahead of time.

I was thinking about that but then wondered if I might offend him by making it seem as though I were telling him how to do his job, haha

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was thinking about that but then wondered if I might offend him by making it seem as though I were telling him how to do his job, haha

I thought similarly, but I think you could probably word it delicately and it would be fine. I certainly won't make the trip down there if I'm not sure he's going to do most of those things on the list.

Colin P.

I would at least keep it in mind. I figure if I went to the guy who only gave four combinations and fit for one that's "close enough," I certainly wouldn't pay for the fitting and I definitely wouldn't buy through that "fitter." I've had bad fittings before, albeit not for Edel. There used to be an outfit in L.A. that would go through an hour and a half of hitting various clubs on a launch monitor, and then fit everyone into the same (expensive) shafts. Owned by a former U.S. Amateur champion too. It even became a running joke in the area among anyone with the shafts (I fell for it at one point). That having been said, the next time someone reports a successful full Edel fitting in So Cal, I think I'm going to get one.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I thought similarly, but I think you could probably word it delicately and it would be fine. I certainly won't make the trip down there if I'm not sure he's going to do most of those things on the list.

[quote name="Shindig" url="/t/65459/my-edel-putter-fitting/200_100#post_1107220"] I would at least keep it in mind. I figure if I went to the guy who only gave four combinations and fit for one that's "close enough," I certainly wouldn't pay for the fitting and I definitely wouldn't buy through that "fitter." I've had bad fittings before, albeit not for Edel. There used to be an outfit in L.A. that would go through an hour and a half of hitting various clubs on a launch monitor, and then fit everyone into the same (expensive) shafts. Owned by a former U.S. Amateur champion too. It even became a running joke in the area among anyone with the shafts (I fell for it at one point). That having been said, the next time someone reports a successful full Edel fitting in So Cal, I think I'm going to get one.[/quote] Yeah, see how I play it. @iacas if someone brought you something like this that someone else had written, what would your reaction be?

Christian

• Administrator

Yeah, see how I play it.

@iacas if someone brought you something like this that someone else had written, what would your reaction be.

It's offensive to send that to someone.

Ask your questions, do your homework/research, whatever. When you're there, if you're getting short shrift, the guide helps you know what to ask for or when to say you've had enough and to just leave.

But… yeah, sending that ahead of time would be a dick move. It's telling someone else how to do their job, and it makes me look bad, too. I wrote it for you guys, not for someone else who is fitting you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's offensive to send that to someone. Ask your questions, do your homework/research, whatever. When you're there, if you're getting short shrift, the guide helps you know what to ask for or when to say you've had enough and to just leave. But… yeah, sending that ahead of time would be a dick move. It's telling someone else how to do their job, and it makes me look bad, too. I wrote it for you guys, not for someone else who is fitting you.

Yeah, like I said, I thought it could be offensive. I'd be telling the fitter that I don't trust him to do a good job without him giving me a reason to think that way.

Christian

It's offensive to send that to someone.

Ask your questions, do your homework/research, whatever. When you're there, if you're getting short shrift, the guide helps you know what to ask for or when to say you've had enough and to just leave.

But… yeah, sending that ahead of time would be a dick move. It's telling someone else how to do their job, and it makes me look bad, too. I wrote it for you guys, not for someone else who is fitting you.

I think the best thing to do is to just "play dumb" and ask him what exactly a fitting entails.  By play dumb, I simply mean to withhold the fact that you know much about Edel at all - act like the brand and the fitting process is totally foreign to you.  You'll get a pretty good feel from that whether or not he knows his stuff.

After that, it would be fair to ask if they do the fitting indoors or out.

For the record, mine was done indoors in a small studio - hasn't seemed to hurt me at all because I looooove my putter. ;)

So I spoke to the fitter and I feel the conversation went well. He said that the fitting would take between 45 minutes to an hour. The first thing we'd do was test out my aim by using a laser and a sheet and get that worked out. I asked him if I should bring my putter and he said I didn't need to because he's got the fitting equipment and we'd use the putter he has from it but if I wanted we could use mine. Then he said that we'd do the distance control aspect of it. I asked him if it was better to do it outdoors because of the greens and he said the place we're doing it at has good indoor, "greens." He said if I wanted, we could wait and do it outdoors and the country club he works at. Overall I thought it was a good conversation. He answered my questions and seems to take my thoughts into account and isn't pressuring me. There's a bunch of snow throughout NY and the fact that he's saying if I'd prefer to wait until spring I think is a good sign of a guy who isn't just trying to sell as many putters as possible. So, I'm hoping to get the fitting done this weekend. If I do, I'll give a full TR. :-)

Christian

Why would he not recommend you bring your own putter? What if yours actually fits? Also, pretty much everyone who has done a review says that the fitter has you use yours to show where you've been aiming all along.

Colin P.

Why would he not recommend you bring your own putter? What if yours actually fits? Also, pretty much everyone who has done a review says that the fitter has you use yours to show where you've been aiming all along.

Well, I asked him if I should bring it and he said I didn't need to because he had a putter I could use from the fitting equipment he has but that if I wanted to use mine, we could. I wasn't going to investigate it further because he said we could use mine so I didn't feel more needed to be asked. Had he been insistent about using one he has then that would have given me cause for concern.

Christian

Well, I asked him if I should bring it and he said I didn't need to because he had a putter I could use from the fitting equipment he has but that if I wanted to use mine, we could. I wasn't going to investigate it further because he said we could use mine so I didn't feel more needed to be asked. Had he been insistent about using one he has then that would have given me cause for concern.

Makes sense. Although I can imagine there would be inconsistencies between your actual putter and the equivalent one that he has. Did he mention how big of an indoor green he has? Any mention of loft?

Colin P.

Makes sense. Although I can imagine there would be inconsistencies between your actual putter and the equivalent one that he has. Did he mention how big of an indoor green he has? Any mention of loft?

Someone much more knowledgeable than I with respect to golf would have to speak to possible inconsistencies between my putter and the equivalent one that he has. I didn't even think about asking him about the loft of the putter. I figure I'll look over what @iacas wrote before I go and have it fresh in my mind. If I need to reference it during the fitting, I'll just have it on my phone. Location pic: [IMG]http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5467e1ece4b0acc08b87877f/546f4248e4b06b70fedc41b7/546f4249e4b06f78b7d3646c/1416577609536/green2.jpg[/IMG]

Christian

Looks like a nice place. Maybe @iacas can chime in and let us know if it's wide/big enough?

How much bigger do you want it, haha? That's bigger than some practice greens on golf courses around here.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Looks like a nice place. Maybe @iacas can chime in and let us know if it's wide/big enough?

[quote name="dkolo" url="/t/65459/my-edel-putter-fitting/240#post_1107738"]How much bigger do you want it, haha? That's bigger than some practice greens on golf courses around here. [/quote]A heck of a lot bigger than the place I went to. Looks very nice to me!

A heck of a lot bigger than the place I went to. Looks very nice to me!

Any bigger and it'll have to be a wedge fitting if you want to get the ball to the hole, haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

How much bigger do you want it, haha? That's bigger than some practice greens on golf courses around here.

A heck of a lot bigger than the place I went to. Looks very nice to me!

Any bigger and it'll have to be a wedge fitting if you want to get the ball to the hole, haha.

Maybe @colin007 thinks the picture was taken using a lens which would have the same effect as:

:smartass:

Christian

I'm just paranoid.... If I bite the bullet, I want this to go as well as possible....I'm even over thinking the speed of the greens around here, I have no idea if they're fast or slow. I know I've played slower, and I've played faster, I just don't know which end of the spectrum the greens by me run.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 2424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!