IGNORED

Do you buy your clubs because of a brand or how they play?

hacker101
Note: This thread is 4045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you buy your clubs because of a brand or how they play?

• Yes, I buy my clubs for the brand.
    • No, I buy my clubs for how they play.

This is not apples to apples, by any means.  The most important thing when it comes to a new car (unless you are filthy rich) is its durability.  Also, if you get your services done at the dealer, then customer service there will matter as well.  If you have had success with one particular car brand over the years, it stands to reason you would stick with them, all else equal. But golf clubs don't break down, and don't have potentially short life spans.  What you see when you first try them out, is exactly what you will get over the entire life of the club. So, if your brand loyalty theory is based only on cars, I don't believe its accurate to apply it to golf clubs.

You may argue that cars and clubs can't be compared but that is not necessarily true because I can have a rebuttal to each of your remarks especially clubs not having a potentially short lifespan. But this theory is not based of the auto industry solely. We studied all market behaviors from items as small and simple as toilet paper to vehicles. And many inbetween. It seems that the smaller priced items actually have stronger brand loyalty because the amount of though put into purchasing those items is significantly less than an expensive item. Blind tests are a bit different though because that takes the entire brand element out of the decision process. If given two irons taped up without seeing the brand you may hit them and choose the one you like the most with little or no brand loyalty; assuming that you aren't trying to compare the clubs you hit to similar feeling clubs of certain brands.

Bag:  ping.gif Hoofer

Driver: titleist.gif 910D2 9.5* Ahina 72

Irons: titleist.gif AP2 712

Hybrid: adams.gif Idea A12 19*

Wedges: cleveland.gif 58* vokey.gif 52*

Putter:  odyssey.gif DFX 2 Ball Blade

Originally Posted by tpj070

You may argue that cars and clubs can't be compared but that is not necessarily true because I can have a rebuttal to each of your remarks especially clubs not having a potentially short lifespan. But this theory is not based of the auto industry solely. We studied all market behaviors from items as small and simple as toilet paper to vehicles. And many inbetween. It seems that the smaller priced items actually have stronger brand loyalty because the amount of though put into purchasing those items is significantly less than an expensive item. Blind tests are a bit different though because that takes the entire brand element out of the decision process. If given two irons taped up without seeing the brand you may hit them and choose the one you like the most with little or no brand loyalty; assuming that you aren't trying to compare the clubs you hit to similar feeling clubs of certain brands.

I don't really want to argue at all. But you made a very general statement in your first post (americans only buy due to brand loyalty) and then when asked to clarify you gave the cars example.  I was just pointing out that if your experience was only in cars, it wouldn't be fair to carry over that theory.  Seeing as how you have clarified that your experience is not only in cars, then the point is moot. :)  I will take your word for it.

One other note ... seems like it would be really hard in some cases to do a blind test of golf clubs.  Irons, at least.  The differences are pretty notable.  I guess you'd have to hand people the club only as they'd see it from address and never let them look at the back or bottom of it. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Both.  I do buy clubs because of brand but thats because Ive tried just about everything out there and for me, Mizunos performed the best.  Ive tried to find reasons to not be a brand-loyal Mizuno ho but they always seem to work the best for me.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

For me it is mainly how the clubs play, but brand does play a factor because I usually only check out the major manufacturers equipment.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I don't really want to argue at all.   But you made a very general statement in your first post (americans only buy due to brand loyalty) and then when asked to clarify you gave the cars example.  I was just pointing out that if your experience was only in cars, it wouldn't be fair to carry over that theory.  Seeing as how you have clarified that your experience is not only in cars, then the point is moot. :)  I will take your word for it.

One other note ... seems like it would be really hard in some cases to do a blind test of golf clubs.  Irons, at least.  The differences are pretty notable.  I guess you'd have to hand people the club only as they'd see it from address and never let them look at the back or bottom of it. :)

It would be pretty hard and that may be something i'd like to try in the future. Always up for a new challenge, just need to get some grant money so i can buy the clubs to have the subjects use them .

Bag:  ping.gif Hoofer

Driver: titleist.gif 910D2 9.5* Ahina 72

Irons: titleist.gif AP2 712

Hybrid: adams.gif Idea A12 19*

Wedges: cleveland.gif 58* vokey.gif 52*

Putter:  odyssey.gif DFX 2 Ball Blade

Originally Posted by tpj070

considering most people in america buy retail items due to brand loyalty, and because people are sometime embarrassed to say so, your poll results may not come out accurately. alot of marketing research has been conducted on brand loyalty and it is a real thing. The idea is that even though you buy clubs because of the way they play you are more apt to buy the same brand again because of the positive experience you had with that brand. hence why this poll doesnt really make sense.

tpj70,

With all due respect to your post it really does make sense. The fact that you and everyone has responded to this in it self has done what i was hopping it would. It has opened up a debate about brands and how other who most likely have more experience then you pick there clubs. When other read this they see that many will start with a brand but then look at others in the process. Clubs as well as people all are different. If a person looking at clubs and only buy a certain brand that does not fit them, well there game suffers for it, I know that for a fact. The whole idea was to open peoples eyes to all the great different brands out there. We all have a brand loyalty to a point. About cars of course we look at the brand we like first but why not try them all before you spend your money. The same with clubs it is okay to look first at a brand that others have suggested or have used. But do not stop there, that brand maybe great for your buddy, dad, friend but does not do well for you.

Case in point I was Callaway all the way, I did start with them but I then looked at others and found 4 more better suited. If there was others I liked why not try them all?

I am sure that some will vote a certain way because they do not want others to think they are a brand ho. But it does not help the person on this site who is asking what to look at or try. To me this site is fun, helpful to others who ask. My point of doing this was to help others. If you do not like the poll you are one person and I can appreciate that you have an opinion. But your opinion has helped others just by you writing it. I wish I had a person at the time I bought clubs years ago tell me to try every set and why. But being on this site has helped me with this round of irons, a Callaway ho, to having all different brands in my bag. I spent hours finding what fit my game the best in order to have the least amount of strokes. i hope this helps the next guy looking so maybe he or she will find what fits them not take a word of a friend or marketing people.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

Yes and no. My favorite clubs are Callaway, so I will check those out before any others. I will buy the best feeling club. If there is a tie I guess I would get the Callaway because of past success.

Same here

I'll admit that the brand comes into it, but I don't think I flat-out wouldn't buy a club because of a preconceived notion, nor do I think that I would buy a club solely on a preconceived notion. Only to break ties, really.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Over the years I have played with the following brands:

Hogan - Edge irons, driver
Wilson - Harmonized Wedge

Tommy Armour - 845s irons

Taylor Made - Burner Bubble Woods and the famous Tourspoon

Nickent - 3DX hybrid

Titleist - 735 irons, 975d driver, Vokey wedges, Cameron putter

Callaway - BB 454 driver, X fairway, Octane and Razr

Adams - Idea Pro Gold hybrids

Cleveland - 588 wedges

Odyssey - Rossie 2, 2 Ball

I tend to go with what works for me. I have noticed a run on Callaway woods with the last three drivers, but I would have just as easily gone with another brand if it fit my game better.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I look first at brands that have reputations of quality, and sample those brands offerings until I find what works for me. My set is a hodge-podge. Ping driver, cobra woods, cleveland hybrid, bridgestone irons, scratch wedges, and a scotty cameron. Branding is a factor, but I try not to hold much bias between major brands. Although I do find Taylormade's advertising and marketing obnoxious, and am therefore biased against them...slightly.

I like to play brands I'm comfortable with.. But I'm up for what feels good. What I play is: Titleist 910 d2 driver Taylor made r11 3 wood Adams a7 hybrid Mizuno mx-25 irons Mizuno 56, maxifli 60, and taylormade 52 Nike method core putter

I'll play Titleist before any other brand unless I really don't like the club. I get a good deal on Titleist stuff so that's what I play. Guess which Titleist club I don't like (except for putter).

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

Originally Posted by kcarile

I like to play brands I'm comfortable with.. But I'm up for what feels good. What I play is:

Titleist 910 d2 driver

Taylor made r11 3 wood

Adams a7 hybrid

Mizuno mx-25 irons

Mizuno 56, maxifli 60, and taylormade 52

Nike method core putter

My thought exactly, I have found I like Taylormade woods and hybrids, Mizuno irons and wedges and Scotty Cameron putters and try those before I look an anything else.  But I'm open to what helps me, regardless of brand.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Originally Posted by hacker101

I spent hours finding what fit my game the best in order to have the least amount of strokes.

I would spend hours pretending to find what fits my game.  But really, I just like to kill free time in a simulator bay.  It's fun to try out new stuff.

((Occasionally, if something seems to be a great fit, that would prompt more serious shopping and comparisons.  That's how I found my current driver.))

Bill - 

How they feel/play. I've got Cleveland Irons, TM Driver, Nike 3W.etc.

The guy with the newest, most expensive, set of matching clubs is often the one with the worst swing in the group. It's fun to get a new club or clubs once in a while...but make sure when you stand over that club that you feel confidant it is the right club for you! Not just because it's your favorite brand.

In the bag:

Cleveland 3-PW Irons CG16, Cleveland CG15 gap, Cleveland 56 SW, TaylorMade Burner 2.0 driver, Nike SQ 3W, TaylorMade r7 Rescue, Scotty, Small Bottle of Crown!

Interesting because for me it seems like a combination of both. When considering a new club(s), there seem to be some brands that I just dont try...Ping for example. I never consider Callaway clubs either. However, I do have an old 3w that I had made from the GigaGolf site and as it turns out I hit it better than any ive ever tried.

9032LS  Driver Speedline Fast 10 3w  2009 TP  3-PW

Tour Action 588 60* and 56*  Reg 588 50*  Classic #1 Black  Gamer V2

When I am making a big change, for example new irons, I will explore other brands. My goal is to have clubs of the same type be of the same "family". So if I have a 3W and 5W for example, I want them to be the same brand and type so I have similar swing weights and feel. Hybrids the same, Wedges as well. Irons for sure.

I do like a certain brand though so that is where I will start and if I can't find something I like from them, I will expand my search.

Right now, the only club I have that is not the same brand is my putter and then only reason is because I have had it for a long time and I like it and don't want to spend the money on a similar one from my brand of choice

PS - My brand of choice should be obvious from my sig so if anyone from that brand would like to complete my set with a new putter I will accept. I currently play White Hot XG #1 :)

Note: This thread is 4045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!