IGNORED

First Trip to Myrtle Beach - Course Advice

Note: This thread is 4023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

Well, I'm making my first trip down to Myrtle Beach in early april and wanted to run a few courses by everyone.  I'm working with golfdesk.com to organize a package for me and I'm about to pull the trigger on the courses below.  Let me know what you all think about them.  We're looking to play higher end courses, basically everything short of caledonia.  Thats a little too much for this trip.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Fly in Saturday

Sunday - Play Pawley's Plantation

Monday - Play Barefoot Love (in morning)

Play Grand Dunes (in afternoon)

Tuesday - Play Kings North

Fly out tuesday night

Thats how I have it as of now.  Any thoughts on the courses?  Any similarly priced courses that are better than what I have penciled in?  Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by Cfredo3

Hi All,

Well, I'm making my first trip down to Myrtle Beach in early april and wanted to run a few courses by everyone.  I'm working with golfdesk.com to organize a package for me and I'm about to pull the trigger on the courses below.  Let me know what you all think about them.  We're looking to play higher end courses, basically everything short of caledonia.  Thats a little too much for this trip.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Fly in Saturday

Sunday - Play Pawley's Plantation

Monday - Play Barefoot Love (in morning)

Play Grand Dunes (in afternoon)

Tuesday - Play Kings North

Fly out tuesday night

Thats how I have it as of now.  Any thoughts on the courses?  Any similarly priced courses that are better than what I have penciled in?  Thanks guys!

IMO if you want to play a south course for lower cost switch out Pawley's for either Willbrook or Heritage. the other 3 are good selections. have a great trip.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Going to MB for the first time myself in mid-April. Booked two courses on Golfnow.com. Always loved the tv commercials, and was pleased with what I found. Prices had just jumped on another website, but rates I got were lowest I found. Couldn't golf at all last year (surgery), so choose what I hope are very good courses. Tradition and Blackmoor. Welcome any comments.

Hi All, Well, I'm making my first trip down to Myrtle Beach in early april and wanted to run a few courses by everyone.  I'm working with golfdesk.com to organize a package for me and I'm about to pull the trigger on the courses below.  Let me know what you all think about them.  We're looking to play higher end courses, basically everything short of caledonia.  Thats a little too much for this trip.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. Fly in Saturday Sunday - Play Pawley's Plantation Monday - Play Barefoot Love (in morning)                Play Grand Dunes (in afternoon) Tuesday - Play Kings North Fly out tuesday night Thats how I have it as of now.  Any thoughts on the courses?  Any similarly priced courses that are better than what I have penciled in?  Thanks guys!

The courses look great. As one of the other posters suggested, I'd switch out Pawleys Plantation for Heritage Club if possible. Barefoot Love is one of my favorites. Grand Dunes is great, but be prepared. It's long and difficult. Especially with wind. Kings North is nice as well. Side note, I have a personal friend at golfdesk.com. It is a local business with genuine golf nuts who know the courses. My friend who helps run the place is probably more knowledgable about MB golf than anyone I have ever met. You are in good hands.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Going to MB for the first time myself in mid-April. Booked two courses on Golfnow.com. Always loved the tv commercials, and was pleased with what I found. Prices had just jumped on another website, but rates I got were lowest I found. Couldn't golf at all last year (surgery), so choose what I hope are very good courses. Tradition and Blackmoor. Welcome any comments.

I played Blackmoor this morning. Probably my 5th time playing it. It is in great condition. The pace of play was spectacular for MB. We finished in 4hrs 5 min. It's such a cool interesting layout. There are a handful of holes that require some thought off the tee. It's definitely a shot-makers course. Very playable by high handicappers as well. Blackmoor is a great choice.

Quote:

I played Blackmoor this morning. Probably my 5th time playing it. It is in great condition. The pace of play was spectacular for MB. We finished in 4hrs 5 min. It's such a cool interesting layout. There are a handful of holes that require some thought off the tee. It's definitely a shot-makers course. Very playable by high handicappers as well. Blackmoor is a great choice.

I pllayed Blackmoor during a year El Nino hit. Stayed in Myrtle Beach for about 3 months and could only golf 1 out of about every 3 days due to rainfall. Blackmoor was mostly under water but sill left a lasting impression. Very Nice course IMO.

I knew I was in for an "interesting" day at Blackmoor shortly after it opened when the starter was going over the course info at the first tee... "There are quite a few 90 degree doglegs on this course....all but one go to the right... etc, etc..." Okay, fine... I drove through nearly every one of them and wound up in the woods or whatever. I failed to notice how far up the tees were because of the semi-soggy conditions. The course itself was immaculate at the time and the greens were like velvet, extremely smooth but not terribly fast but fast enough. Staff was friendly as well. But because of it's location it seems to get soggy more than some others, and since I usually stay further toward the north end of the central area, traffic can be a bit of a hassle getting back there. This was a while ago and I don't know if they've worked on drainage and such. I personally am heading down in June and put The Love Course, Pine Lakes and Myrtlewood Palmetto on my agenda. These are 3 that I haven't played before, and will be close to where I'm staying so I'm not all aggro from sitting in traffic at that main junction and feeder roads. We once got stuck heading out to Wildwing with PLENTY of time (so we thought) to make our times. 1-1/2 later we were still stuck near the 17/501/Byway intersection with our tee time fast approaching. We called the course to let them know and backtracked all the way to the Conway Bypass and over using Rt 90. And made it quicker than if we had stayed on 501. Fortunately, the course gave us a slot to get out about 2 hours late. Unfortunately, the heavens opened up on the 13th hole and we didn't get to finish. Sometimes you need to pick your weeks carefully to avoid similar traffic issues- Biker Week (just before Mem. Day), Spring Break (next week) and similar events are killers for traffic, especially in the central downtown area. So if you are going from North end Central or N. MB area to places like Litchfield and True Blue, be sure to ask at the desk if there are any traffic issues. You might need to plan a less direct route to save time and aggravation.

Originally Posted by RayG

I knew I was in for an "interesting" day at Blackmoor shortly after it opened when the starter was going over the course info at the first tee... "There are quite a few 90 degree doglegs on this course....all but one go to the right... etc, etc..."

Okay, fine... I drove through nearly every one of them and wound up in the woods or whatever. I failed to notice how far up the tees were because of the semi-soggy conditions. The course itself was immaculate at the time and the greens were like velvet, extremely smooth but not terribly fast but fast enough. Staff was friendly as well. But because of it's location it seems to get soggy more than some others, and since I usually stay further toward the north end of the central area, traffic can be a bit of a hassle getting back there. This was a while ago and I don't know if they've worked on drainage and such.

Unfortunately, this is 100% correct.  The courses in that area (Blackmoor, TPC, Island Green, International) are sitting in a very low lying area which used to be a rice plantation near the Waccamaw River.  When it rains, they do get and remain very soggy.  There isn't anything the courses can change as far as drainage goes...they are stuck because of the area the courses are located in.  On the bright side, when the rain hasn't been drenching the courses, they are usually in immaculate condition because of where they are situated.

thanks for the original responses. I have swapped out Pawley's plantation and replaced it with the Barefoot Fazio Course. So my final setup looks like this:

Kings North (sunday)

Barefoot Love (monday)

Barefoot Fazio (monday)

Grande Dunes Resort (tuesday)

Staying at the barefoot villas.

psyched for a good trip and can't wait to play these courses! Golfdesk was real easy to work with and we got decently priced package.

thanks for the original responses. I have swapped out Pawley's plantation and replaced it with the Barefoot Fazio Course. So my final setup looks like this:

Kings North (sunday)

Barefoot Love (monday)

Barefoot Fazio (monday)

psyched for a good trip and can't wait to play these courses! Golfdesk was real easy to work with and we got decently priced package.

Looks like a good schedule.  You are going to be glad you decided not to have to drive down to Pawley's Plantation, and instead are staying at Barefoot.  From the Barefoot Villas, Pawley's Plantation Golf Course is over an hour drive south.  Enjoy the trip.  I hope you get great weather.  Its been hit or miss around here lately.  Sat and Sunday were both 80 degrees and sunny.  Today is 65, but is going to drop down into the 50's later in the week.

If you have any questions about golf shopping or restaurants, or where to watch a game, feel free to PM me.  I'd be glad to give you some insider info about anything.

I'm so jealous...I don't know when, but one day, I'm doing a 5 day MB trip, with or without my wife!

Nike SQ MachSpeed Driver 

Calloway RAZR Fit 3W  

Taylor Made R7 Irons 

White Ice #1 35" 

Mizuno F50 5-7W 

Bushnell Medalist Range Finder 

I'm so jealous...I don't know when, but one day, I'm doing a 5 day MB trip, with or without my wife!

My opinion, May is the best month for a MB golf trip. The rates are lower in May than they are in March and April (peak season). The weather is warmer. And the spring break traffic is long gone.

Kings North (sunday)

Barefoot Love (monday)

Barefoot Fazio (monday)

Nice itinerary. Enjoy your trip. Here are links to photos of the courses you are playing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157632025191691/

Grande Dunes Resort

http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157632028196988/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157632025081986/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157632013970488/

Kings North

BF Fazio

BF Love - first off the tee as mist rises over #1

• 3 weeks later...

Tradition is one of the absolute best courses there, Blackmoor is top notch also. If you get north try Thistle. Pearl and maybe Crow Creek

Barefoot course are great, I have put together trips to Myrtle for 10 years and we have played over 70 courses. There are some to stay away from, I really did not care for Wicked Stick, the Daly course. Man O' War is nice,but the top notches are Traditions, International , TPC, Thistle, True Blue makes you fall in love with golf even more and Caldonia.

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to get a round or two in here in Michigan, but weather has not been agreeable. Will post later as to course condition and other info. Playing on Tuesday and Thursday. Can't wait to get to warm weather.

Note: This thread is 4023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!