IGNORED

mounting a camera on a clickgear push cart

CBO
Note: This thread is 4040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all, curious to hear if any of you found a way to put a camera mount on a clickgear cart using the threads for the umbrella holder? (or any other for that matter, but this is the one I have). I'm thinking of some kind of ball mount so I can tilt the camera as well

I'd like to film my swings and it would be nice if I could somehow use the cart so I don't have to lug around a tripod. The camera I think I could somehow fit in my bag but I don't think there would be a way to get a tripod in there (unless maybe a very compact one?) Not sure but it seems if the camera sits on top of the cart somehow the height would be good for filming my swing?

Curious to hear what people think, maybe it's not a good idea and I should just invest in a proper tripod and deal with the extra equipment to bring?

Birdies 4 Elephants - raising money and awareness for elephants while out playing golf :)

I just bought this tripod. http://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-APLT2-Weight-Aluminum-Tripod/dp/B004ZGN6MY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid;=1363425595&sr;=8-2&keywords;=tripod

It's small enough that it fits into my stand bag. You could also look at a gorillapod. It has bendable legs that you could probably attach to your cart. I bought one off ebay before I saw that amazon tripod. Still haven't checked the mail to see if it has come in.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the GorillaPod and it is convenient.  But I do find the it take a bit of wrangling to get it exactly where I want it.  I use a old camera tripod that fits in the big pocket of my bag.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

+1

Gorilla pod works. Do not buy the SLR version, the screwing is getting on my nerves. The smaller one has a quick cam on-/off plate. So you can fix the arm to the cart and leave them there when you take off the cam and watch the video.

Thanks guys! The gorillapod defenitely looks like a small and simple solution, they have one they call 'hybrid' that seems like it would work?

I'm looking to shoot video's for evolvr, will the camera be high enough around hip height (on the trolley) or would I need it to sit a bit highter?

Birdies 4 Elephants - raising money and awareness for elephants while out playing golf :)

Between navel and sternum is OK.

You can adjust the grip of the Clickgear to go a little higher (or lower) - pretty much perfect. Good for filming on the course.

Another solution (better for the range) is to buy a cheap cam tripod for the same price. Is is probably on the bulky side, but the cheap ones are light in weight. It is way easier to adjust and move around (down the line vs. caddy view). I always have to get a bar stool to make videos on the range - I am lucky, since they are present in every box.

Thanks again Hollister, I can see your point. I'll have to go to a camera store and see what they have for myself but think I'll get a gorillapod as well. Hadn't thought about it yet but filming out on the course on a quiet early morning would be good too and they look usefull enough for other things then golf as well :)

Ha, another one: the clicgaer umbrella holder has the same screw-size that would fit in your cam. I just tried it screwing the umbrella holder into my cam. It works, but looks funny :D

So everybody owning a clicgear push trolley (and maybe loads of other trolleys owners, too), you already have a wheeled tripod with you. You just have to buy a double-sided screw and a cheapo tripod head.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Hollister

Ha, another one: the clicgaer umbrella holder has the same screw-size that would fit in your cam. I just tried it screwing the umbrella holder into my cam. It works, but looks funny :D

So everybody owning a clicgear push trolley (and maybe loads of other trolleys owners, too), you already have a wheeled tripod with you. You just have to buy a double-sided screw and a cheapo tripod head.

I was hoping that might work somehow! Does anyone know if a standard tripod head attaches with the same bolt size as the one that goes into the camera? I'll have to take some time off work and bring my trolley to a camera store one of these days to find out and see if they have a head that'll fit, lol.

sls, looks nice but that camera only does 60 fps.

It fits, I tried it. I used my standard Casio cam that I usually screw on my GorillaPod SLR. Same size.

If you make the trip to the cam store with your trolley, please, please get some photos of yours and your wheeled tripod - fun for everybody.

Regarding the swingshot: Nice idea, but I do not see one buying it for 299,- instead of a cam you can use for other things that comes with a playback screen...

I will Hollister. I hope I can get there this Saturday so I can try out everything Sunday. I've done video's on my phone which has been usefull but am excited to get started with real slow motion video's and good instructions now that I have a proper camera :) Think the setup will be nice if I can get it to work like this.

I think I got it working really well now, thanks for all the help!

I went to a camera store this morning and got a [url=http://www.manfrotto.com/compact-ball-head-with-rc2]manfrotto 496rc2[/url] ball head mount. From the one's they had I picked this one as it can be adjusted and tilted in all directions and has an extra secure mounting so the camera can't fall out, plus it's high enough for my camera not to hit the handlebars of the cart when tilting it 90 degrees like in the picture.

I got an insert for the female threads to size it down at the camera store and got a bolt the same size as the click gear umbrella holder at the local hardware store. Its a US size so hard to get hold of here, they took one out of a Weber bbq kit for me! lol. I welded the insert in the camera mount with loctite and cut the head off the bolt and welded that in the insert. That way basically the female thread in the head is turned into a male thread that fits right into the clickgear umbrella mount.

Here's a picture of the camera mounted on the cart out on the range today. Really happy with this setup as I can see myself on the camera screen and use the remote to control the camera.

Think this this should work with most of the camera's you'd normally consider for filming your swing with.

• Upvote 1

Wow, nice! Congrats to the good choice, Manfrotto gear is always great.

I would love to use a remote, but my cam is too basic.

Now I have to go to the hardware store before the season starts... (still snow out there at my end)

Sweet set up.  No excuses not to film your practices now!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thanks guys. Hollister, it's useful but I don't think you're missing out on 'too' much without a remote as I still cut the video's in post processing so it's only the swing itself. Having the head on the trolley is great though, like this its very easy to casually set up for swings off the tee or in the course as well without it taking too much time.

I feel for you with the snow though, we FINALLY got rid of it here and although it's still really cold and the greens are like concrete it's nice to be outside and play again.

boogielicious, so true! I sent my first swing videos to evolvr last night, can't wait to see where this will go :)

Note: This thread is 4040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!