IGNORED

Is Walking Better Than Using a Golf Cart?

hansmixer
Note: This thread is 1396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Walking is the way to go...if you are physically capable and the course is laid out with walking in mind.  If not...I'll saddle up and feel good about it.  The play is the thing.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/22/2019 at 3:18 PM, Archie44 said:

Once again, I agree with walking.  It is great exercise!  But if you want to play golf in your retirement years, do not carry a golf bag on your shoulder(s) while you are in your 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's!  Carrying a 30-40+ pound bag of golf clubs weakens your back over time and places huge stress on your knees.  Walk all you want...just do not play golf.  Take a motorized golf cart.  I certainly wish I had done that in my younger years!  I am convinced now that I could easily shoot my age and under if only my back and knees were in better shape!

Interaction with those with whom you play is always easy while in golf carts.

Eh, interaction happens on the tee and on the greens, no matter your mode of transportation.

52 minutes ago, Archie44 said:

No sir...a hunched-over posture is a result of the things we do and not do (exercise or sit at a computer all day).  This condition CAN be reversed but it takes time and dedication.  Carrying or pushing a 30-40 pound bag of golf clubs is not a good thing.  Hey!  I am all for electric carts and not gas carts!  (Environment) . But as a scratch golfer at age 22 through age 41 and after three back surgeries with fusions--the last being in 1988...and after severe pain, another surgery at age 67 in 2014, I am back to playing well again.  I work out and do Yoga every day!  My long drives are at 235 at best when I could formerly hit my drives over 300 yards or more.  (A drive and a wedge or 8 iron--at most) on long par 4 holes.) . Now it's more like a great drive and a a 19 degree hybrid or a great 6 iron!

I first learned and played the game in 1970 (thanks to my golf buddies who taught me), none of my golf buddies can play anymore because they have bad backs, sore knees and back surgeries and knee replacements.  For gosh sakes!  Save your back, knees and body and take a golf cart...and do it now!

I'm happy for you, I really am.  It's great you have your golf game back and are doing yoga.   You need to move to Summit County in Colorado.   People there in their 80s are mountain biking in Moab and skiing at Copper Mountain.   it's a life style choice.    You need to find healthier buddies, there are many, many healthy people if you look.    My brother is older than you and is more fit than most 50 year old people.    

50 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

With all due respect, I don't think pushing a cart contributes to a "hunched over" posture.  I'm not a doctor but I did stay at the Pebble Beach Lodge once.  And I agree on the electric cart... so much quieter, and not stinky.

+1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

8 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I'm happy for you, I really am.  It's great you have your golf game back and are doing yoga.   You need to move to Summit County in Colorado.   People there in their 80s are mountain biking in Moab and skiing at Copper Mountain.   it's a life style choice.    You need to find healthier buddies, there are many, many healthy people if you look.    My brother is older than you and is more fit than most 50 year old people.    

+1

Summit County, Colorado!  I was a ski bum there for several years... at Breckenridge.

On 4/22/2019 at 12:25 PM, Yukari said:

I am not so sure about that.  What about all the military and Ruck training?  They carry 40-50 lbs for miles.

I carry my bags with two shoulder straps and have not had any issues.

If anything, I think the golf swing itself is more harmful.

I know your reply is a few weeks old, and the conversation has moved on, but this struck me....

All that ruck training is most certainly bad for one’s body, particularly joints and bones (shoulders, knees, hips, ankles, back).

You may get and be strong carrying all that weight, and have the muscles to prove it while you’re in the military. 

While young, you can keep on (t)rucking. As you age, and especially if you keep it up... it WILL catch up with you and your joints/bones. 

2 hours ago, sofingaw said:

I know your reply is a few weeks old, and the conversation has moved on, but this struck me....

All that ruck training is most certainly bad for one’s body, particularly joints and bones (shoulders, knees, hips, ankles, back).

You may get and be strong carrying all that weight, and have the muscles to prove it while you’re in the military. 

While young, you can keep on (t)rucking. As you age, and especially if you keep it up... it WILL catch up with you and your joints/bones. 

My uncle is 71 and has carried or pushed (when playing summer comps) all his life. He has no problems and is as fit as ever. The only time he has used a cart was when he was recovering from prostate cancer. I think it depends on the individual as to the impact on their joints/bones.

imo, walking is so much better than using a cart as long as you are able to. There have been a few times in summer when I wished i'd dug out my old trolley but on the whole walking is the way to go (and cheaper too).

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

1 hour ago, RussUK said:

My uncle is 71 and has carried or pushed (when playing summer comps) all his life. He has no problems and is as fit as ever. The only time he has used a cart was when he was recovering from prostate cancer. I think it depends on the individual as to the impact on their joints/bones.

imo, walking is so much better than using a cart as long as you are able to. There have been a few times in summer when I wished i'd dug out my old trolley but on the whole walking is the way to go (and cheaper too).

Fair point, and I support walking as well. My main issue was the attempt to equate walking on a golf course with military training and the assessment that they were the both good for you in the same way. 

To clarify, I think walking and playing golf regularly is generally great for someone, and doing 5-20 mile ruck marches is generally not. 

Four of us walked 36 holes on Saturday, one carried, three push carts, and lived to talk about it.  My current policy is I will not pay for a riding cart.  If it's included I will use it unless it's CPO.

Rob Tyska

I use a push cart to walk my rounds. I find it to be more enjoyable. Clubs come with me to every hole. Some courses require a cart, especially on weekends. That is fine but if presented the choice I walk. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

We have a bunch of guys who play at our club who are in their 60's - 80's years of age who are out walking the golf course 3-5 times a week. They are using push carts and none of them are "hunched over". I use a push cart whenever possible because It seems like I am more relaxed and play better. Depending on your weight, you can burn 1500 calories walking 18 holes of golf. What's not to like about walking. If you want to ride....great, If you want to walk....great.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I much prefer to walk and carry a bag - at least for the first 9 holes. Second nine normally requires either a cart or my push cart with its seat (gotta deal with arthritis as best I can).  Sadly so many of the new courses were built with carts in mind and you seem to have long walks between greens and the next tee box. Much prefer the older courses where green and next tee are close. At 66, walking has been good for me and helps me hit my daily exercise goal (heckuva lot more fun than treadmill)

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

I always walk -- for all the reasons already listed here. But mostly because it's better exercise and I score better (the "rhythm" thing). I understand why someone over the age of 65 might need a cart, but I'm always puzzled when I see foursomes of 20-somethings in carts. At courses where walking is allowed, they could play for half the price if they walked. When I hear kids like that complain about "how much golf costs" I want to smack them. 

Just my .02 worth. 

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

10 minutes ago, RandyBobbitt said:

When I hear kids like that complain about "how much golf costs" I want to smack them. 

And when I get behind 60 somethings that are walking and on pace for a 5 hour round while refusing to let faster groups play through I want to smack them. (Not literally)

Not sure why it's a big deal that 20 somethings ride in golf carts. 

Myself and many other 20 somethings I know go to the gym multiple times per week, take our dogs on walks, go on hikes, etc. so we don't "need" to walk while playing golf to stay healthy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I've been playing for almost 50 years -- walking 99.9 percent of my rounds -- and that exercise has kept me in good physical shape compared to my peers who ride (or don't play golf at all). 

Regarding the pushing vs. pulling issue, I've never really thought about it. Up until about 5 years ago I used good quality carry bags, carried only 11 or 12 clubs, and kept to a minimum the amount of crap in the pockets (although a good first-aid kit is essential). I never had any back or shoulder issues as a result. Most likely, that's due to good genes and pre-round stretching. 

Then around 5 years ago I started with a hand cart and a larger bag -- pulling rather than pushing. Having never seen anyone pushing one, I didn't realize that was an option. I do like the hand cart because it allows me to carry 14 clubs plus more "stuff" in the pockets. In hot weather it prevents the strap stains that ruin light-colored shirts while carrying. 

I would be interested in hearing more about pulling vs. pushing a cart in terms of the wear and tear on the back and shoulders. I can see how pulling a cart might affect the shoulder muscles, but so far I've not had any issues. Any orthopedics, chiropractors, or physical therapists out there who want to go out on a limb (pun) on this one? 

Edited by RandyBobbitt

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

15 minutes ago, klineka said:

And when I get behind 60 somethings that are walking and on pace for a 5 hour round while refusing to let faster groups play through I want to smack them. (Not literally)

That's when they are being held up by younger guys riding in carts, copying the agonizing pre-shot routines they see on tv.  See how that ageism works?

For what it's worth, all the guys I know that are that age and walk can finish in 3 1/2 hours, walking.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

5 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

That's when they are being held up by younger guys riding in carts, copying the agonizing pre-shot routines they see on tv.  See how that ageism works?

FWIW I wasnt the one who started the ageism comments. The only reason I made the comment I did was because multiple people commented on 20 somethings that ride in carts.

Not every 20 something that rides in a cart complains about the cost of golf, just like not every 60 something that walks plays in 5 hours.

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

3 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

For what it's worth, all the guys I know that are that age and walk can finish in 3 1/2 hours, walking.

Good comeback... and there's a lot of truth to that.  Though I once played in front of some 20-somethings and they were rolling their carts across the green!

2 minutes ago, klineka said:

FWIW I wasnt the one who started the ageism comments. The only reason I made the comment I did was because multiple people commented on 20 somethings that ride in carts.

I know you didn't start it, but I have to admit that I am often a bit disconcerted about "bros" in their 20s riding in carts, when they really would appreciate the game more walking (and saving a few bucks too).

It's like they "graduated" from mandatory walking as juniors and are showing off by riding. With all the other accoutrements that we could also dispense with: drinking, loud music, yelling, and overall bad cart management such as congregating both carts to a single ball, 4 times in a row, or driving like a bat out of hell past the location of a ball, only to come back when they finally realize that their ball didn't go as far as they imagined after all... :doh:

6 minutes ago, klineka said:

Not every 20 something that rides in a cart complains about the cost of golf, just like not every 60 something that walks plays in 5 hours.

To be clear, I am not saying that all young folks are like I described above, or that you are (as I don't know you). But when I see a group like that, I feel a bit sad and sorry for them. That said, we can all enjoy a beer afterwards, can't we? :beer:

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Note: This thread is 1396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!