IGNORED

Is Walking Better Than Using a Golf Cart?

hansmixer
Note: This thread is 1423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

...or driving like a bat out of hell past the location of a ball, only to come back when they finally realize that their ball didn't go as far as they imagined after all... :doh:

Like I've never done that before.  But I've also pulled up way short looking for my ball... only to eventually find it 60 yards further down the fairway/rough.

19 minutes ago, RandyBobbitt said:

I would be interested in hearing more about pulling vs. pushing a cart in terms of the wear and tear on the back and shoulders. I can see how pulling a cart might affect the shoulder muscles, but so far I've not had any issues. Any orthopedics, chiropractors, or physical therapists out there who want to go out on a limb (pun) on this one? 

I am not a medical professional in any of the fields you mentioned, but I once had a pull cart (kept it for several years) and have since moved on to push carts (I have had several of those too over the last 15 years or so). The difference is night and day: for the $100 or so that you may save on the cost of the cart, you don't realize how much more comfortable it is to push (typically with both arms) than it is to pull (which is with one arm only).

I think you can hurt your shoulders pulling, even if you alternate pulling arms because they are out of alignment. Not to mention, it's much easier to push, and you can let go of the cart at times, rolling it forward ahead of you or letting it take some speed on some small downhills ahead. You can still push with only one arm if you want, but the position of that shoulder is in front of you, not behind, a much easier and less stressful motion, IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, sjduffers said:

I am not a medical professional in any of the fields you mentioned, but I once had a pull cart (kept it for several years) and have since moved on to push carts (I have had several of those too over the last 15 years or so). The difference is night and day: for the $100 or so that you may save on the cost of the cart, you don't realize how much more comfortable it is to push (typically with both arms) than it is to pull (which is with one arm only).

I think you can hurt your shoulders pulling, even if you alternate pulling arms because they are out of alignment. Not to mention, it's much easier to push, and you can let go of the cart at times, rolling it forward ahead of you or letting it take some speed on some small downhills ahead. You can still push with only one arm if you want, but the position of that shoulder is in front of you, not behind, a much easier and less stressful motion, IMHO.

I like to admire my irons and wedges as I walk along... need a push cart for that.  Also, it keeps the Italian Sports Drink handy, right in front of me.

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Like I've never done that before.  But I've also pulled up way short looking for my ball... only to eventually find it 60 yards further down the fairway/rough.

Sure, we've all done that, but some are doing it more than others... just sayin'. :whistle:

That's another reason why walking is better: you have more time to spot your ball in the proper location than when you are zooming by with a lead foot on the pedal! 

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I like to admire my irons and wedges as I walk along... need a push cart for that.  Also, it keeps the Italian Sports Drink handy, right in front of me.

Ah! Very true. 👍

The alternative (with a pull cart) is to watch the ball land first and then start moving, and to fiddle with the bag to retrieve the beverage as pull carts don't have cupholders!, All conducive to slower pace of play.  

To all those on the fence, absolutely spend the extra $100 and enjoy all the benefits of a push cart. You'll be glad you did.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

1 hour ago, klineka said:

FWIW I wasnt the one who started the ageism comments. The only reason I made the comment I did was because multiple people commented on 20 somethings that ride in carts.

Not every 20 something that rides in a cart complains about the cost of golf, just like not every 60 something that walks plays in 5 hours.

We played 9 last Saturday in 1:45 behind a foursome of 20 somethings in carts. They were fine. Slow players are slow and not because of age.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

31 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

We played 9 last Saturday in 1:45 behind a foursome of 20 somethings in carts. They were fine. Slow players are slow and not because of age.

Allowing, of course, for extra time reaching into the beer cooler or changing Spotify stations...

• Upvote 1

I agree with this, though I'm no 20 something. I work out for exercise and I play golf for fun. If you see me riding a cart on the course , I've likely done an hour of cardio or weightlifting beforehand.  Don't judge people by what you see, you don't know what they did before you see them.

On 5/8/2019 at 4:11 PM, klineka said:

Not sure why it's a big deal that 20 somethings ride in golf carts. 

Myself and many other 20 somethings I know go to the gym multiple times per week, take our dogs on walks, go on hikes, etc. so we don't "need" to walk while playing golf to stay healthy.

I agree with this.While I'm no 20 something, I workout for exercise and play golf for fun. If you see me on a cart at the course it's very possible I've been working out beforehand. If your only exercise is golf, than go ahead and walk. But don't judge people on what you see. That young guy in a cart might've just run 5 miles before coming to the course and is now there to relax with friends.

Edited by garyt
  • Upvote 1

push cart with good umbrella for rain and sun is my ideal. stay drier on "cart path only" rainy days and stay cooler under constant shade/UV protection on hot/sunny days. nice to have freedom as a single. $15 seat fees can be spent on warm-up bucket and small meal instead. less mentally taxing to head toward my ball and get prepared for the next shot with all my gear than to focus on someone else's ball or get dropped off somewhere with just a club or two. easier to appreciate the natural beauty of the course and stay grounded. also easier to stay loose. 

• Like 3

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

The essence of my post regarding using a motorized/electric golf cart versus carrying/pushing/pulling abound 30-40 pounds of golf clubs (or 30-40 pounds of anything) was to just let all know that our bodies age and break down over time.  Swinging a golf club at at age 20 something at 120 mph and then picking up a bag of metal/graphite clubs takes a huge toll on the human body.  Fast-forward to age 45-65 where the golf swing is anywhere from 95-115 and again hauling around a bunch of weight is ludicrous in my opinion.

Take a golf cart!  I can guarantee you will be able to play well into your 70's!  (Of course eating healthy and Yoga--especially Yoga--can help you play much longer.)  If you are addicted to golf (as I am) save your body, back and knees and take a golf cart!  I went from age 60 to age 73 in a matter of moments (or so it seems)

Good luck to all!

• Like 2

If I had the ability to walk either 9 or 18 holes, I would.  But age combined with a severe injury compels me to ride.  I still can hit good strokes (though I have lost yardage) and putts well.  Should I lose the game because of physical limitation. 

On most courses, except after a lot of rain, handicapped are allowed to fly a flag  indicator and we are allowed to go off cart paths. Just be aware (result of the ADA).

• Like 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I like having all my clubs with me at all times so carry most of the time . The odd social round with a pal and a cart full of ice cold beer is not to be sniffed at though . 

As far as I know carts are not allowed in the UK for competition rounds without a medical exemption . 

• 1 year later...

Well, after all the great posts from so many of you, the time has come for me to admit that I was right all along...and so were so many of you!

We moved to AZ last year in June and I began playing with a bunch of guys from ages 70-85.  Great guys who played golf by the strict rules of the game.  At first, I shot 101 and the next week it was down to 87 and the next into the lower 80's etc.  That was from early July 2019 through early September.  And then mid-October came along and my back was simply gone.  I could no longer make a full turn (or even a half-turn) away from the ball.  The MRI's saw a bulged and herniated discs as well as the expected arthritis that we all experience as we age.

Since then, it's gotten worse.  Where I could formerly hit my 6 iron over 150 yards, it now goes maybe 110 yards at most.  The money I paid to play at a rather "high-end" golf club is gone (Covid19 caused both nice restaurants and Spa areas to close) and my membership will end in early fall of this year.  Both courses are still open but with limited play and closing early in the late afternoons.  Six people have been diagnosed with the Virus and yet, the course stays open because it is considered "essential" here in AZ.

My cousin is a leading Epidemiologist out of Atlanta, GA and early indications say the Virus will come back with a vengeance this fall.  I hope he is wrong!  Meanwhile, I am looking into finding an electric bicycle just to get some much-needed exercise.  Just sitting and watching Netflix is seriously getting old.

I hope all of you stay well and realize what a Pandemic truly is--and of course, how our bodies just don't allow us to play golf as well as our minds think we ought to play.  HA!  Stay safe out there!

Arch

How is electric bicycle going to help you exercise?

But seriously, at least for me, carrying seems to be a lot easier on hilly courses.  I've done both carry and use push carts.  But I found carrying is a lot easier on hilly courses.  On flatter courses, hands down push carts are easier.  

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

33 minutes ago, Yukari said:

How is electric bicycle going to help you exercise?

But seriously, at least for me, carrying seems to be a lot easier on hilly courses.  I've done both carry and use push carts.  But I found carrying is a lot easier on hilly courses.  On flatter courses, hands down push carts are easier.  

Knees are bad and an E-bike provides a few hours of being outside with medium effort when going up hills.

Arch

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Archie44 said:

Knees are bad and an E-bike provides a few hours of being outside with medium effort when going up hills.

Arch

Ahhhh.  That make a sense.  Glad you are able to get out and get some fresh air.  Hopefully you are also getting some golf in with a cart.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I walked 9 after work yesterday and it about killed me as well as affected my score. It was my fault because I am an old, fat, out of shape guy who did not eat or drink anything before or during the round on a hot sunny day, which was the first time I had walked in almost 3 months. But walking 9 after work is part of my fitness improvement plan, so I plan to continue to do it, only with more hydration.

War Eagle!

I walk as much as possible. Today was the first day going 18 holes exhausted me. Of course it was 87 degrees and 80% humidity. I was out of energy on the last 3-4 holes. That’s usually what happens in Florida this time of year. Walk the front 9...ride the back☹️. By the way...still walked it with the wife in 3 hours and 10 minutes.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Note: This thread is 1423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!