IGNORED

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Great first day at the Masters.  I am happy for Sergio and I'm glad Tiger is in the mix.  It was nice to see Dustin Johnson finally get on a Master's leaderboard.

By far, the top story for me after day 1 is Tianlang Guan.  To shoot what he did at 14 years old at Augusta National is absolutely insane and more should be made of it.  If he was an American kid, it would be discussed to levels far more extreme than what we are seeing.  What a performance.  Again, 14 years old at the Masters.  Incredible.

• Upvote 2

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

Great first day at the Masters.  I am happy for Sergio and I'm glad Tiger is in the mix.  It was nice to see Dustin Johnson finally get on a Master's leaderboard.

By far, the top story for me after day 1 is Tianlang Guan.  To shoot what he did at 14 years old at Augusta National is absolutely insane and more should be made of it.  If he was an American kid, it would be discussed to levels far more extreme than what we are seeing.  What a performance.  Again, 14 years old at the Masters.  Incredible.

Agree with everything. Tianlang had a picture perfect made for TV moment on the 18th with Crenshaw, with Ben in the background clapping when he drained that putt and then Ben bringing some more magic with a birdie of his own. That might be the moment we go back to if Tianlang continues his learning curve and ever really contends for a major. Too early to tell, but there is some semblance of handwriting starting to form on that wall for sure.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Rick Martin

I prefer the Green Jacket not be won by "one hit wonders" - and that it be worn by players who have or will go on to be greats in the game, if that makes any sense?  Maybe "greats" is too strong - Sergio, Kuchar aren't in category as one-hit wonders.  I hate seeing the winner someone who doesn't do to much else in their career. Can you imagine if Len Mattiace won? He's still be playing in the Masters, yet can't even get back on the tour.

So, kinda like Mike Weir, right? :P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's really funny... I called our local CBS Radio Station (92.3 FM The Fan) yesterday morning to ask the guys what they thought of Guan and what they thought of my pick of Phil Mickelson @ -10 (not only on this site, but I put money on him...) and I also put down some cash on Sergio and Fowler as well.

They basically laughed and said Guan does not belong in the tournament and said to watch for him to shoot +12. Now, I know that none of us honestly thought he'd be in the "mix", but it was definitely crazy that the kid shot +1.

Anyways, they also bashed my Fowler and Sergio picks and right now they're not looking to bad. I just hope Fowler stays within himself and doesn't get too crazy like he usually does. You know, when he starts putting 3' and 4' putts like they're 8' and trying to stuff the ball in the hole. His risk/reward was on the money yesterday though and I'm really hoping for some great rounds out of them today.

The weather should be great again today as well. They have a really small line of storms moving through at around 10:45-11:00 AM, but they're breaking down as they approach Augusta National. Once the rain passes through, the radar is showing dry and partly sunny conditions behind it.

The greens are still surprisingly firm from what I hear as well, so we should have more of the same conditions from yesterday - maybe slightly "softer" due to the rain which is just now falling at 10:38 AM.

Originally Posted by Zwick

Almost every player over par for the round. I guess they made the greens faster.

More like the breezes are swirling through the pines.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator

Higher scores favors Tiger.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Or Bubba Watson? ( who has less Tour Wins )

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Zeph

The Tiger, Luke, Piercy group will be halfways by the time the stream catch them. Which will be around the same time the main broadcast start.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

The featured groups are usually pretty bad, and  you typically only catch the last 10 holes of their rounds (if I'm not mistaken...at least for the 2nd/afternoon featured groups).

Shocking how that worked out!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Quote:

Or Bubba Watson? ( who has less Tour Wins )

Did anyone see how many Masters' champions follow-up their next Masters tourney by missing the cut? Are there many? Bubba might be one of them.

The Canadian in me jumps out to defend Wiersy

8 Tour wins, (including a Tour Championship and WGC event..of course the Masters), over $25M in career earnings.  President Cup success.  He has had a good career.  Not great, but good.

Unfortunately, what we see of him today stinking up the place (mostly due to various injuries) clouds his success.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Did anyone see how many Masters' champions follow-up their next Masters tourney by missing the cut? Are there many? Bubba might be one of them.

Going back to 2000, I can only find Weir missing the next cut.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by mvmac

In case some of you guys didn't see it

http://thesandtrap.com/chat

Just bumping this along so its easier to find it when I accidentally close the link later on ... you know, when the boss unexpectedly drops by and I panic.

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

I recall discussion about child prodigy Ty Tryon being too young when he played PGA events and turned pro as a teenager.  Used to hear a lot about tennis players playing at the pro level at an early age as well - some w/ negative effects (Capriati).

Haven't heard anything about a 14 yr old Guan playing a major?

Double standard?

No, not even remotely the same thing.  The questions/controversies surrounding Ty Tryon, Capriati, etc. were in regards to them becoming full time professionals at a really young age.  He's just an amateur who qualified for a tournament.

Note: This thread is 4013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!