IGNORED

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Cracker24

Yeah, the decision is entirely at the discretion of the Augusta National officials.

The committee may include some Augusta members/officials but will also include top rules officials from the major tours. For example the 1 shot penalty for Guan was assessed by one of the top European Tour officials.

Originally Posted by Mordan

The committee may include some Augusta members/officials but will also include top rules officials from the major tours. For example the 1 shot penalty for Guan was assessed by one of the top European Tour officials.

Oh, yes of course. What I meant was that no outside authority (e.g. PGA Tour, R & A etc) can come in and say that Tiger must be DQ'ed. Ultimately it's Augusta's tournament, they have the final say. Sorry if I failed to make that clear, it's been a long day!

With the looming of a  possible DQ, I am LMAO at Golf Channel straining with all its collective might not even mention Tiger's name.  It's never gone 10 minutes without talking about Tiger; let alone entire segments.

I personally want Tiger in the tournament but with no "issues".  There will be an issue if he is not DQ'd.

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

If they can disqualify poor old Roberto "I am a stupid" Di ViCenzo, they can DQ the Tiger.  If Tiger is disqualified, the eventual winner will always have the asterisk label "he won the year Tiger was DQ'd".

Cloud will hang over this one, for sure.  Nice playing by Jason Day - nice guy, good post round interview on GC.  I always prefer a proven winner and not a one-hit wonder win the Jacket. Not sure where Day fits in that.......probably the later, but would like to see an Aussie finally win it someday.

Just for the record, they didn't disqualify Roberto. His fellow competitor put him down for one stroke more than he actually scored on a hole and Roberto signed it. It resulted in Roberto coming in second instead of going into a playoff the next day with Bob Goalby (at least I think the Masters still had 18 hole playoffs then).

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN-Q8eEajgQ[/VIDEO]

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I watched it in a barroom full of casual golfers and everyone in the room agreed it was an improper drop the second it happened. How is it that no one alerted Tiger before he signed his card? I would say the announcers should have known but Faherty clearly had no clue on the rule.

Wow, I hadn't realized all this last night, and had only been thinking about the awful luck of hitting the stick like that and ending up with bogey. But having read through everything and seeing what Tiger said about it, he ought to be disqualified. Whether he actually will, is less certain, but I believe it's very likely he will be disqualified and the biggest story of this event (unless Fred Couples defies time and age and wins) will be Tiger Woods being disqualified.

He might DQ himself before they get to decide anything.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by VOX

I watched it in a barroom full of casual golfers and everyone in the room agreed it was an improper drop the second it happened. How is it that no one alerted Tiger before he signed his card? I would say the announcers should have known but Faherty clearly had no clue on the rule.

Seriously, they could tell he was 2 yds off his previous mark.

Respect.

Originally Posted by ScT1

(unless Fred Couples defies time and age and wins)

Did you catch Couples' interview saying that he'd quit the tours and only golf at Augusta National if he won a second jacket? He sounded serious.

I think the rule is pretty clear. You drop as close as possible. If you know the exact location of your last shot, you drop there. If you don't know the exact location, you drop as close as you can possibly get. When you know where the first ball was sitting, you can't say 2 yards off is as close as possible. As close as possible is right on top of where the ball was. There is no doubt they knew where he hit the first ball from.

What a turn of events to wake up to ... So is The Morning Drive wrong when they said that there is no hard and fast measure for the "as close as possible" language of the rule?

Well Tiger in his own words chose to go back 2 yards. Are you telling me that was as near as possible to where he played his previous shot?!? It's not rocket science.

They could tell it wasn't a couple inches. He clearly went to the divot and then moved back a step or two. They also replayed it about three times.

Note: This thread is 4012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!