IGNORED

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)

iacas
Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by thanw

How flipping close does it have to be anyway? Is he supposed to take a drop right into his own divot?

Yes, many times that's exactly where the drop ends up.  That's the rule.  You play it as close as possible.  And Tiger even admitted that he took the extra distance to get a better shot and gain an advantage.

How flipping close does it have to be anyway? Is he supposed to take a drop right into his own divot?

I don't think anyone is still arguing that he didn't initially break a rule. That much seems clear. It's the aftermath of using the new rule to waive the automatic DQ by signing an incorrect card.

No, that would be grounds for a re-drop because it would be closer to the hole than where his initial ball was (good ball-strikers take their divot after the ball). You get two drops, then you get to place it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also, for those not watching, Fil Mickelson just completed the Amen Corner Trifecta! Water balls on 11, 12, and 13.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Phil looks more like me, than a 3 time winner of this tournament over the last 3 holes. I don't feel so bad anymore.  Oh wait, Yes I do.  I still can't hit it like him.

Originally Posted by Dave H

I don't think anyone is still arguing that he didn't initially break a rule. That much seems clear. It's the aftermath of using the new rule to waive the automatic DQ by signing an incorrect card.

They didn't make the determination that he had broken the rule until after they read what he said to the press. That means that tournament officials now make rulings based on the golfers INTENT?

Originally Posted by boogielicious

The rule states:

a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

Because b provides "no limit  to how far behind",  can't you drop further back than the point in A as long as it is on the same line?  Tiger was really penalized because it was not on the same line, correct?

Woods was proceeding under clause (a).

He did not drop it 'as nearly as possible .......'

They didn't make the determination that he had broken the rule until after they read what he said to the press. That means that tournament officials now make rulings based on the golfers INTENT?

There are some rules where intent matters.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Let me see if I have this right. I hit one OB. I then drop into my own divot taking stroke and distance. I don't like that I have to hit out of my own divot so I take an unplayable lie. That way I could have hit from where he did hit from with only a one shot penalty. So Tiger ended up with an extra stroke penalty and an almost DQ over semantics and the fact that even he after all his tournament play didn't know the rules.

What I wouldn't give for Tiger to shoot 65 and be in the final pairing tomorrow...........

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Merged a few threads. Please keep all Tiger penalty talk to this one. Also, if you have a question, search the thread. Someone probably asked and addressed it earlier.

In my bag:

It was officially acknowledged just now by the rules committee that Tiger did not bring it up prior to signing his card, and the rules committee did not discuss it with Tiger until after he said he took the extra yards in the interview post card signing.  Tiger should have been DQ'd as it is his onus to ensure his scorecard is accurate prior to signing, which he OFFICIALLY had not done.

This is absolutely the wrong call.

Originally Posted by clarkeycats

I think the penalty is the right one. Tiger didn't know he was breaking any rules, so he thought the card was right, if he knew the rule he would have signed it correctly. If he signed it wrong in a different situation then a DQ would have been the right way to go. The rule was adjusted in 2011 to make sure a DQ isn't given out for this type of situation.

Tiger won't win it anyway, this will be in the back of his mind and be a distraction.

This what I find hard to believe although I guess it's possible.  I'm just an ordinary hack, yet I know the rule.  He is a pro; it's his livelihood.  I find it hard to believe that neither he nor his caddy knew the rule.  This is not an obscure rule.

However, I will mention that after Azinger's rules gaff during the Open, the possibility exists that a lot of these players are not well versed with the rules.

Originally Posted by eich41

Yes, many times that's exactly where the drop ends up.  That's the rule.  You play it as close as possible.  And Tiger even admitted that he took the extra distance to get a better shot and gain an advantage.

Funny thing is that I heard that he wasn't going to be penalized until he made that statement.  The board had already reviewed it but changed their decision after the interview

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!