IGNORED

How often do you update your golf bag (clubs, accessories, etc.)

Note: This thread is 4022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How many people out there play the same clubs Driver through putter for a season, longer.  Are you the type that replaces at least one piece of your set every year, or are you the type that buys a new set driver to putter once every so many years.  Which club has been in your bag the longest without getting subbed out?  Do you have more than 14 clubs, and you adjust based on the course you are playing?

I am curious to see how often people update the equipment.  I know this site has some ho's that play a new club everytime the honeymoon for the old club wears off.  Others, it seems, have played the same set of clubs forever and see no reason to even consider the improvements of technology.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Once every 5 to 10 years depending? I was going to replace my irons this year but then just did my taxes and took a one eyed peek at how much I spent on golf last year...... no new irons for me this year.

I usually replace a club (or a set of irons) after around 2-3-4 years of play. I do play multiple times a week, so they see some wear and tear.

Driver: :tmade: Burner '08 10.5* 3 wood: :tmade: Rocketballz 15* 3 hybrid: :tmade: Burner Superlaunch 18* 4 hybrid: :tmade: Rescue 11 21* Irons: :tmade: Burner 1.0 5-AW Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 54* :cleve: CG16 58* Putter: :odyssey: 2 Ball Blade Grips: Golf Pride VDR white Balls: :titleist: Velocity Bag: :tmade: Audi bag

I replace wedges every 2 years or so and woods every 3 or so. I've become pretty attached to my irons and putter so those are gonna be pretty hard to kick.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Way too often. Although now that I am nearing a single digit handicap, I've seemed to finally realize I do not need to buy a game. Practice and additional lessons have helped. IT is definitely the Indian, not the arrow.

When I was playing TaylorMade Drivers, I always bought into the hype every year and purchased the latest & greatest. I was not a fan of the original R11 TP, sold it 10 rounds into that season and bought a Titleist 910 D2. That club stayed in my bag for two full seasons. But I did try and replace it with the rest of my clubs last season (w/ an Adams Fast 12 LS which only lasted 5 rounds and the 910 went right back in the bag).

As for woods, I bought a new 3 & 5 wood every year from the 1st TaylorMade Superfast on (so that was 3 years straight). Same with the hybrid (a new 21 degree).

Irons, I seemed to hold onto a little longer. I started with the Ping G2. Held them for 5 years before selling them and buying TaylorMade Burners 1.0. Those I kept for two years. It was also when I got really serious about getting better. I got fitted into and improved so much that I grew out of them in year two. The offset hurt me more than helped me and light weight KBS 90 shafts made me spin the ball off the charts. I was dead in any type of wind. I saw my biggest improvement though in year two with them, moving from an 18 to 14 handicap.

So what did I do, get fitted for new clubs again. This time I wanted something I would grow into. I purchased my 1st set of forged irons Mizuno JPX 800 Pro's with KBS Tour Shafts (X-Flex/soft stepped one time).

I was also fitted into the Adams driver I got rid of. The numbers were great, but I could not hit the damn thing straight. I lost everything right and had a draw ball flight with my last two drivers. This also coincided with the lessons which I think was more of the issue. I was now able to pick up distance on every club in my bag which was fantastic. But my driver swing had a slight flaw that caused the draw. Now I have a more correct swing and causes a baby fade. Go figure. Everything else is straight and still draw biased.

That same fitter put me in a 3 & 5 wood, Adams XTD Superfairway. Again, never fell in love with them and when the toe weight fell out, I bought the RBZ 3, pulled a Fujikura Rombax Type-X 75S Shaft and stuck it in that fairway. I've been in love ever since.

I've gone through thousands in new equipment over the last 4-5 years. I can honestly say I am set finally and looking forward to set up for this season and many seasons beyond.

D:        Titleist 913 D2 (Diamana D+), 62 grams, tipped half inch

3W:     TaylorMade RBZ, Fujikura Rombax Type-X 75S

5W:     TaylorMade RBZ, Fujikura Rombax Type-X 75S

4-PW:  Mizuno JPX 800 Pro, KBS Tour, X Flex, soft stepped one time

50:       Vokey Oil Can Spin Mill, KBS Tour, X Flex, soft stepped one time, non-conforming
56:       Vokey Black Nickel Spin Mill, KBS Tour, Stiff, bent to 55 degrees, non-conforming
60:       Vokey Black Nickel Spin Mill, non-conforming
P:        Scotty Cameron, California Series, Coranado, 33 inches, Mid-sized SC Babt T grip

Extra's (I like to play with my set up depending on the course I play)

D:         Titleist 910 D2, Aldila RIP Alpha 60, Stiff (I just can't get rid of this club)

4W:      TaylorMade RBZ, Miyazaki Kusala Black, 72S

3H:       TaylorMade RBZ Tour, Miyazaki C.Kua 83S

4H:       TaylorMade RBZ Tour, Miyazaki C.Kua 83S

64:        Vokey Chrome Spin Milled, non-conforming

P:         Rossa Suzuka, Mid-Sized Grip

My history of clubs:

Drivers:  Callaway ERC Fusion, TaylorMade Burner '07, TaylorMade Burner '09, TaylorMade R9 SuperTri, Cobra ZL, TaylorMade R11, Titleist 910 D2, Titleist 913 D2

Woods 3 & 5 (and a 4 sometimes just because): TaylorMade V Steel (never should have gotten rid of them), TaylorMade Burner '09, TaylorMade Burner Superfast, TaylorMade R9 (4 wood only), Cobra S2, TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0, Adams XTD Superfairway, TaylorMade RBZ

Hybrids 18 & 21 degree: TaylorMade Rescue Mid, TaylorMade Burner '09, TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0, Adams A12, TaylorMade RBZ Tour

Irons: Ping G2, TaylorMade Burner 1.0, Mizuno JPX 800 Pro

Wedges: In total I have 10 Vokeys that are all playing 50, 55, 60 with all different bends and bounce configs with one or two that play to 52 degrees legit

Putters: Ping Anser, Rossa Suzuka, Titleist Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec, Scotty Cameron California Series Coranado

D:      Titleist 913 D2 (10.5, Stiff, Diamana D+ 62 / Tipped 1/2 inch)

F:      TaylorMade RBZ (15.0, 43 inches & 19.0, 42 inches, Fujikura Rombax Type-X, 75S)

H:      Adams A12 (21 degree, 40 inches, Diamana HY92, Stiff)

I:        Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 5-PW (KBS Tour, X-Flex, Soft Stepped 1x)

GW:   Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 50 (KBS Tour, X-Flex, non-conforming)

SW    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56 (bent one degree strong, KBS Tour, Stiff, non-conforming)

LW:    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 60 (non-conforming, stock shaft)

P1:     Scotty Cameron California Coranado

Wedges every 2 years or so. Woods and irons 5+ years. Putter, not unless it really pisses me off! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The bag stays until I get a hole in it.  Not definite time frame on other clubs.  I'm still using the same irons I started to golf with a little over 3 yrs ago.  No plans to replace my driver or woods this year.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Don't go through many putters - have three and kind of rotate between them (Anser C, Odyssey 2-ball, Odyssey White Hot Rossie).  Have been rotating between the two Odyssey putters over the last two seasons.

New irons every 4-5 yrs. Usually PING irons.

Pick up a second hand driver every 3-4 yrs or longer if I find something.

I've had my old 2,3,4 hybrids the longest other than the Ping Anser putter. Love 'em (Cleveland halos).

Was buying new 52/56/60 wedges (Cleveland and Titleist Vokey) wedges routinely every 2-3 yrs but now have gone to stock PING wedges that match my irons (gap, sand) - seems to be working out okay using them instead of the specialty wedges.

New bag whenever mine starts looking ratty. Right now I have an Army carry bag - conversation starter.  Given to me as a gift once I left the Army a couple of years ago.

At the moment, my Titleist 735cm irons are just over 5 years old. Previously, I played 845s for 16 years. I picked up a Razr Fit Tour Authentic 3 weeks ago and my Cally DOT 3 wood about 18 months ago. Sometime after that came some Vokey TVDs and a Scottty Futura Mid that is a 2004 model. My Adams Idea Pro hybrids are also within the last 2 years as well. The only club I sub is the Adams 20 degree for my 3 iron.  I am now looking for a mini staff bag and another pair of shoes. I don't need either but if I find a deal I may jump. As far as my irons go, I still love the progressive cavity to blade progression and the DG S300 shafts so I don't see them going anytime soon.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I broke down and bought a cheap 460cc driver last year.

Before that...well...about 8 years ago I bought a used driver from a guy after he made fun of the little persimmon driver I was using on the range before our office golf outing.

Before that, I bought a putter in, I think, 1993 or so because I felt like the head on the Spalding TPM I bought in 1982 was too small for my longer putts (I was constantly leaving them short).

Before that, I went to KMart when I was 15 and picked out a set of Spalding Executive clubs (3 woods, 8 irons) after deciding to take up the game.  I still play with those irons today.

I'm the guy that screws up statistics when it comes to the average age of golf clubs in a golfer's bag.

I'm also the guy that realizes that you improve your game on the range with an instructor by your side, NOT at a store.

I'll rotate drivers every other year or so but never buy the new stuff just buy a year or 2 old and save the money for green fees. As far as everything else, i just bought new irons and wedges for the first time in 7 years. I'm a feel player and when I find something that feels right i stick with it. With the driver though I'm always looking for that magic stick that will have me hitting 400 yard bombs. Lol.

Originally Posted by dave67az

I broke down and bought a cheap 460cc driver last year.

Before that...well...about 8 years ago I bought a used driver from a guy after he made fun of the little persimmon driver I was using on the range before our office golf outing.

Before that, I bought a putter in, I think, 1993 or so because I felt like the head on the Spalding TPM I bought in 1982 was too small for my longer putts (I was constantly leaving them short).

Before that, I went to KMart when I was 15 and picked out a set of Spalding Executive clubs (3 woods, 8 irons) after deciding to take up the game.  I still play with those irons today.

I'm the guy that screws up statistics when it comes to the average age of golf clubs in a golfer's bag.

I'm also the guy that realizes that you improve your game on the range with an instructor by your side, NOT at a store.

Spaldine Executives...I started out golfing with those same clubs. Did yours come with a bag as well. Mine did. I got them at a flea market when I was 17. I used them for over 13 years before getting my first real set, Ping G2s. It's been an expensive hobby every since as you can see by my original post. It's been eight years of new clubs (and lessons).

F:      TaylorMade RBZ (15.0, 43 inches & 19.0, 42 inches, Fujikura Rombax Type-X, 75S)

SW    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56 (bent one degree strong, KBS Tour, Stiff, non-conforming)

Originally Posted by antnee94

Spalding Executives...I started out golfing with those same clubs. Did yours come with a bag as well. Mine did. I got them at a flea market when I was 17. I used them for over 13 years before getting my first real set, Ping G2s. It's been an expensive hobby every since as you can see by my original post. It's been eight years of new clubs (and lessons).

LOL @ "real set"

No, mine didn't come with a bag.  I do recall the entire set was like $180 at Kmart and it just came in a box.  I think my first golf bag was from Wal Mart (cheap nylon thing) and I think it was about $30.

Then I picked up a Spalding TPM model 4 for about $40 from the golf shop at "my course" (used to be Grandview Golf Course, now called the Bill & Payne Stewart Golf Course in Springfield, MO).  Didn't need golf shoes.  I had some Nike Field Generals that I used playing softball, so I just wore those on the course...well, the courses that allowed soft spikes.  Some claimed they bruised the grass and only allowed either tennis shoes or metal spikes, so on THOSE courses I'd just hope the grass wasn't slippery.

So basically, not counting the cost of tees or golf balls (I usually got Top Flites for about $15 a dozen), I was on the course having a great time for about $250.

And I can guarantee you that in over 30 years of golf with those clubs, I haven't had a single situation where I hit a bad shot and it was the club's fault.  Ever.  :-)

Originally Posted by dave67az

LOL @ "real set"

No, mine didn't come with a bag.  I do recall the entire set was like $180 at Kmart and it just came in a box.  I think my first golf bag was from Wal Mart (cheap nylon thing) and I think it was about $30.

Then I picked up a Spalding TPM model 4 for about $40 from the golf shop at "my course" (used to be Grandview Golf Course, now called the Bill & Payne Stewart Golf Course in Springfield, MO).  Didn't need golf shoes.  I had some Nike Field Generals that I used playing softball, so I just wore those on the course...well, the courses that allowed soft spikes.  Some claimed they bruised the grass and only allowed either tennis shoes or metal spikes, so on THOSE courses I'd just hope the grass wasn't slippery.

So basically, not counting the cost of tees or golf balls (I usually got Top Flites for about $15 a dozen), I was on the course having a great time for about $250.

And I can guarantee you that in over 30 years of golf with those clubs, I haven't had a single situation where I hit a bad shot and it was the club's fault.  Ever.  :-)

Sorry about the "real club" comment. You know what I mean.

I actually gave them to my neighbor's son. The shafts were actually starting to rust. I envy you for the cost of your bag. My itemized cost is probably over $4K when you factor in my clubs, upgraded shafts, bag, shoes, GPS, push cart, etc.

The funny thing is I don't even buy balls. I got a bunch of Pro Vs from the office for free. Still have a season and a half worth.

And I have had the same result as you, never a bad shot caused by the actual club/shaft. As a costly lesson, it's the Indian...not the arrow.

Originally Posted by antnee94

Sorry about the "real club" comment. You know what I mean.

I actually gave them to my neighbor's son. The shafts were actually starting to rust. I envy you for the cost of your bag. My itemized cost is probably over $4K when you factor in my clubs, upgraded shafts, bag, shoes, GPS, push cart, etc.

The funny thing is I don't even buy balls. I got a bunch of Pro Vs from the office for free. Still have a season and a half worth.

And I have had the same result as you, never a bad shot caused by the actual club/shaft. As a costly lesson, it's the Indian...not the arrow.

It's all good, and I know you didn't mean it in a bad way.

Still, it was funny.

Seriously though, I didn't have an option of getting my clubs fitted because they were off-the-rack.  While I don't think you can blame clubs for bad shots, I won't argue that getting clubs fitted for your game isn't a good investment.  So yeah, I don't take it personally because if I could have afforded to get fitted clubs like your Pings I would have done it in a heartbeat.

I just wanted to hit the course and develop my game enough to try out for my high school golf team in less than a year. Would have made it too, even with the cheap clubs, if it weren't for so many guys using foot wedges and lying about their scores.  No I'm not bitter.  lol

I buy new clubs nearly every year.  Most clubs can take abuse and still be playable, wedges on the other hand I'm anal about.  If the grooves are in like new condition then I usually buy new ones.  My current wedges have one seasons play on them and they'll probably get replaced at the end of this season.

The rest of my clubs get phased out when I feel I can benefit from something new.  I just got around to upgrading my driver, albeit a couple year old model (still an upgrade from my FT5 I was playing).  My fairways woods are a good 5-7 years old and up until the end of last season I was playing with the same putter that I've had in my bag since I was 10. (I'm now 25).  The irons will probably be my next big investment, they're only a few years old but will probably be obsolete in a year or two.

So to answer your question again...almost every year!

I still have my original set from 20 years ago, LOL.  I keep them at my brothers house in RI and use them whenever I visit.  I believe the Irons are "dynatour" or something like that.  I know they are knockoffs of something.  I did upgrade the driver and 3W to Callaway Big Bertha's.

I just splurged on myself and bought all new Irons, driver and putter as noted in my sig. below.....had 42 hours of overtime from work, so I said "why not?"  LOL

Note: This thread is 4022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!