IGNORED

Going Pro

Borf
Note: This thread is 4047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You don't need to turn pro to find out how well you will do as a pro.  What is your track record in amateur events?  Have you played top level amateur tournaments?  Tournament golf is different than regular golf - if you aren't playing the amateur events available then you are working with no data to support your case.  Remember - once you turn pro returning to the amateur ranks has its own challenges.  I'm all for a person pursuing their goals - but don't do something that will make it harder down the road.  Also, read the articles on the mini-tours.  Are you ready to "pay to play"?  Live with 5-6 other guys in a flea-bag motel to save money? Lots of information on what the life style will be like.

You also haven't given much information on your current status.  Are you in HS? College? Graduated from college?  Married, career, children?  All those impact any advise you might seek.

I play in basically every am tournament i can, not married i have a job currently graduated from university. I have done very well in tourneys, last season i posted 1 win, 6 top 10 in 9  tourneys.

Originally Posted by Borf

I play in basically every am tournament i can, not married i have a job currently graduated from university. I have done very well in tourneys, last season i posted 1 win, 6 top 10 in 9  tourneys.

4 Top 3 finishes (counting the win)

Originally Posted by Borf

4 Top 3 finishes (counting the win)

What level were these tournaments?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Borf,

Heres my advice.

NEVER NEVER write on a forum asking people what they think are your chances of making it as a player.Even if there was a forum with only PGA Tour Players,they wouldnt bother replying because like everyone else,no one cares if you make it.But the biggest problem is the Amature Golfer will just send you negative advice.Look at all what people have been saying ,is this going to help you...

Your obvioulsy a good player,so what does a tour player do better than you.He maybe longer off the tee,i dont know how far you hit it,but its not a big factor.He is more consistant,which comes from practice,but the 2 biggest things that seperate good golfers to getting to Tour level is 1.They are so hot with their wedges and putter.And 2. They fully believe in what that are trying to achieve and dont listen to any negative stuff.

A perfect example is Irelands Padraig Harrington.When he was an Assistant Pro,he used to tell people he wanted to get on Tour.Everyone laught at him,he was such a bad player.He would spend all day around the pitching green,and he knew people were laughing behind his back.He later said knowing this pushed him harder.

Its up to you to make yourself good.If you spend 4 hours a day 7 days a week fro 100 yards and less for the next 12 months I garentee you will shoot under par consistantly,You then turn pro,enter some mini tours and go for it.

You have one chance,go for it,give it your best,I also stronly advise you to read Dr Bob Rotella - The Unstopable Glfer

best of luck,regards,David

Thanks david, I wasnt so much looking for peoples opinions on what i want to do, more 'how to' and specifically things that will help me continue to get better.

The purpose of this wasn't for me to come here and look for validation of my idea.

I realize that at some point I will have to go pro( move locations, quit my job etc) if i ever want to see how good I can be, I just want to keep improving and do things now, so that if  and when i make the decision to go pro i will be that much more prepared.

Note: This thread is 4047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!