IGNORED

Least Favorite Player

clutchshot
Note: This thread is 3895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

Agree with the people who don't like Webb Simpson, Bubba Watson, and Zach Johnson.  I keep my beliefs to myself and wish that they would keep theirs to themselves too.  The guys who always thank God when they win don't bring it up when they get interviewed after they lose.  Just wondering...

Not trying to start a holy war, but I have no problem with guys who thank god after they win.  If they feel god helped them win that's their thinking, then fine by me.  It's not like they're up there preaching.  As far as them not bringing god up when they lose can you imagine how people would react?  If Bubba said I'd like to thank god for this 3 over round that allowed me to miss the cut by one stroke surly that would cause even more of a stir then people getting mad for him thanking god after a win.

• Upvote 1

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

That's a first in my experience and I'm glad to hear it.  I admire all of these guys as golfers but don't care to know them any better than that, be they elocuting on religion, politics, or whether or not, as the football player at the NFL Combine was asked, they "like girls".  TMI and none of my business.

No different than TW thanking Sean Foley or his strength coach,  or Dr Bob, really.   As discussed on another thread, if a player uses religion as a major force to get him through a stressful stretch, why not mention it and give credit for getting him over the hump that day?

• Upvote 1

I thought of another one besides Shooter McGavin ... the American champion in "The Greatest Game Ever Played."  Not Ouimet, but the current top pro guy with the silly painters style hat and red hair/mustache.  When he finally cracks under the pressure in the Open, dude has a meltdown.

I hope that isn't suppose to be a real person???

EDIT:  His name is John McDermott and he is real. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McDermott_(golfer )

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tmf9

Not trying to start a holy war, but I have no problem with guys who thank god after they win.  If they feel god helped them win that's their thinking, then fine by me.  It's not like they're up there preaching.  As far as them not bringing god up when they lose can you imagine how people would react?  If Bubba said I'd like to thank god for this 3 over round that allowed me to miss the cut by one stroke surly that would cause even more of a stir then people getting mad for him thanking god after a win.

That was my point.  If you believe enough to tell us that God is responsible for your good performances, aren't you giving him short shrift if you don't recognize him as being a part of your bad ones?  That's why I think that it's hypocrisy.  Do you really think that God cares what you shoot?

That was my point.  If you believe enough to tell us that God is responsible for your good performances, aren't you giving him short shrift if you don't recognize him as being a part of your bad ones?  That's why I think that it's hypocrisy.  Do you really think that God cares what you shoot?

Well then i guess everyone's a hypocrite because I sure don't hear anyone thanking their swing coach for missed cuts either.  And no I don't think god cares at all, and they probably don't either, rather they're thinking them for the ability they have as golfers.

• Upvote 3

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

Like others have pointed out ... its no different than thanking your coach, teacher, Bob Rotella, etc, etc when you win.  Have you ever heard Tiger say that he played really well, but Sean Foley is the one who cost him the tournament?

Also, nevermind the fact that the other reason you never hear those guys blame God after they lose is because you rarely hear those guys at all after they lose.  Besides Rory, Tiger and Phil, you don't usually see them interview people after the round unless they've won.  Or had a monumental collapse.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Like others have pointed out ... its no different than thanking your coach, teacher, Bob Rotella, etc, etc when you win.  Have you ever heard Tiger say that he played really well, but Sean Foley is the one who cost him the tournament?

Also, nevermind the fact that the other reason you never hear those guys blame God after they lose is because you rarely hear those guys at all after they lose.  Besides Rory, Tiger and Phil, you don't usually see them interview people after the round unless they've won.  Or had a monumental collapse.

I'm just not a fan of wearing your beliefs on your sleeve like a badge of honor.  To me the only reason to compare this to an actual instructor is if you're getting earth-based full swing tips and putting guidance from above.

I'm just not a fan of wearing your beliefs on your sleeve like a badge of honor.  To me the only reason to compare this to an actual instructor is if you're getting earth-based full swing tips and putting guidance from above.

Not really.  Bob Rotella was one of my examples and he's certainly not a swing or putting instructor, he's a psychologist.  If I believe that sessions with him help me think straight, how is that any different than one of those guys thinking that praying or bible study is what gets him in the right frame of mind?

Let's quote Crash Davis again because I think it's apropos here:

"If you think you are playing good because you are getting laid, or because you are not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear ... then you are!  And you should know that!" :)

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't call simply thanking god after a win "wearing your beliefs on your sleeve like a badge of honor" growing up in North Carolina I know a lot of people that are way more radical in bringing up god on a consistent basis, and they're doing a lot more than thanking him for various things.

• Upvote 1

What's in my bag?

• Administrator

Summary of every Rotella book ever written:

Namedrop story, namedrop story, visualize your target, namedrop story, namedrop story, have a good attitude, namedrop story.

$19.99 please. :)

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not really.  Bob Rotella was one of my examples and he's certainly not a swing or putting instructor, he's a psychologist.  If I believe that sessions with him help me think straight, how is that any different than one of those guys thinking that praying or bible study is what gets him in the right frame of mind?

Let's quote Crash Davis again because I think it's apropos here:

"If you think you are playing good because you are getting laid, or because you are not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear ... then you are!  And you should know that!" :)

For some reason I just pictured a pro being interviewed after a win:  "And I'd like to thank that blonde chick from the party last night because that one-nighter relieved a lot of pressure and helped me keep my focus today."

Nothing wrong with thanking God after a win.  It's amazing how stating one's appreciation of God is now equated to preaching.  Dude, if I tell you I love watching golf it doesn't mean I expect you to love watching golf.  It's your choice.  I made mine.  You'll make yours.  And you don't get to twist my words around and make it sound like I was forcing golf down your throat just because I said I enjoyed watching it.  Now you may run into people who do preach to you, and who don't shut up about it even after you tell them to, but please don't be so judgemental as to throw everyone into the same category just because they thank God for helping them in their lives.

Or Stevie thanking his player for doing such a good job in helping him win.

Furyk. 5 Hour Energy needs to exit stage right...

I'm tired of his ugly swing and how anytime he is on or near the leaderboard, one of the announcers have to talk about his unorthodox swing.

I'm tired of Fluff having to line up his putts - just to see him miss it.

I'm tired of his 'swag'.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Furyk.  5 Hour Energy needs to exit stage right...

I'm tired of his ugly swing and how anytime he is on or near the leaderboard, one of the announcers have to talk about his unorthodox swing.

I'm tired of Fluff having to line up his putts - just to see him miss it.

I'm tired of his 'swag'.

The word swag and Jim Furyk do not belong in the same sentence.

What's in my bag?

Originally Posted by dave67az

Unless it's THAT sentence.

touche sir

• Upvote 1

What's in my bag?

Originally Posted by tmf9

touche sir

Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to say they don't belong in the same sentence without saying them in the same sentence.

I guess you could do it this way if you were as anal as I was (which I don't wish on anyone, by the way).

"There's a word that doesn't belong in the same sentence as ' Furyk '.  That word is ' swag '."

• Upvote 1

I like Poulter because of what he does in the Ryder Cup.  I think its awesome how he always comes up big.  He hit the winner in the Tavistock Cup, too.

His winning putt was great, he went to pick the ball out the hole as soon as he hit it.

Note: This thread is 3895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!