IGNORED

New putter

keller19xc
Note: This thread is 4034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all, I'm looking to get a new putter, price will not be an issue. I currently have a spider ghost and am unhappy with it, I'm looking to switch to a blade putter. These are what I've tried- Odyssey- great feel I like the soft but don't like the weighting Nike method- great weighting, easy strokes, sound wasn't very appealing Tm ghost- light I like that, off center hits felt like smacking a rock Scotty Cameron- nice easy stroke, good feel and sound, not the best feel but it's up there ( I need to demo this one more) Just want some opinions on the putters you have tried and which one you use and what you like about it pros/cons

I tried a dozen or so putters a few years ago and walked out with an Odyssey Rossie. Wasn't expecting to at all but it felt the best to me. Been putting well (for me at least) ever since. Also, even though I'm 6'2 it's relatively short at 34 inches cause my stance is fairly hunched over. Definitely pay attention to lengths.

If price isn't an issue I would look to see if there is an edel fitter in your area. I got fit by them about 2 year ago and have no interest in any other putter. The fitting sytem they have is great and they measure all aspects of the stroke. Highly recommend an Edel.

I was in the same situation about a month ago....ended up with an Odyssey White Hot.  It just felt the best out of all I tried and so far I'm pretty happy with it.

If you sort of liked the feel of a Scotty, but it's just not right then try a Ping Anser putter.  Also I know you said you want a blade putter, but the new Golo 5 line is worth a try.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

I have a Scotty Cameron Newport II, 10 grams of weight added to the stock Newport's and it is by far the most balanced putter I've ever owned. I've played basically 5 putters since 1975, Bullseye, Wilson 8802, T.P.A. III, Ping Anser, and my Newport II. They were all great putters in their time but the Newport II is by far the best balanced putter I've ever stroked.

My first vote would be a Scotty Cameron, but Odyssey, Ping and Taylormade all make quality putters.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I just bought an SC Heavy Fastback from eBay. It Was custom made for seller with Winn xtra large grip. It 35.5long. Now I'm thinking of having it cut to 34. Should I go to my local pro shop and have it done fore $4 or send to Scotty for complete renovations, asking you opnions

I was a putter ho - and 4 years ago, bought an Edel after a 1-2 hr fitting. I played around with the models - I ended up with a Vari-Loft Putter in which I can fine-tune the internal weight of the head (4 weights of various heft) and change the loft of the putter by changing the face (you get 3 faces) depending on speed.

Haven't touched another putter since early 2009.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by kcho80s

I just bought an SC Heavy Fastback from eBay. It Was custom made for seller with Winn xtra large grip. It 35.5long. Now I'm thinking of having it cut to 34. Should I go to my local pro shop and have it done fore $4 or send to Scotty for complete renovations, asking you opnions

If you're just shortening it, any pro shop can handle that.  The Winn xtra large grip likely already threw off the original swing weight and balance of the putter from the original specs.  1.5" of steel shaft won't have much of an impact on the swing weight, head may feel slightly lighter.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by kcho80s

Although its more expensive and less time efficient. Your best bet is to send it back to Scotty. The local pro shop most likely will not re-balance the putter which in my opinion will hurt you as a putter. I got fit through the Edel fitting process and saw first hand how the weight of the putter can effect your distance control. Mr. Desmond from above may also agree since he too did the fitting.

Did you try Yes golf putters? ( i have a tracy II for sale )

i went with TM Ghost 770 tour

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I've gamed nearly every OEM brand, and nearly every style of putter.  I've been gaming a Never Compromise Gambler for a little more than a year now, and it's the smoothest, best feeling putter I've played to date.  I think the only putter that would get me to switch at this point would be a custom Edel.  Highly recommend the NC milled putters.  They don't have the brand recognition of the Scotty Cameron, but the quality is as good or better, IMO.

The hard part is finding a putter off the rack that fits your stroke.  You can try and try, but until the putter sets up right for you, you'll always be compensating.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Originally Posted by keller19xc

I'm stuck between the sc Newport and the Tm ghost da-62

Persuade mee

If they both sink the same number of putts, buy the one that best fits your eye and budget.

I'm not sure how you're stuck between the two, given they are completely different putters.  SC has a milled face, TM uses an insert, SC is black, TM is white.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I was a putter ho - and 4 years ago, bought an Edel after a 1-2 hr fitting. I played around with the models - I ended up with a Vari-Loft Putter in which I can fine-tune the internal weight of the head (4 weights of various heft) and change the loft of the putter by changing the face (you get 3 faces) depending on speed.

Haven't touched another putter since early 2009.

I second the Edel suggestion. The fitting process is extensive and they make some very nice stuff. You will end up with a putter that is not only beautiful but one that fits YOUR game. Mine should be here soon, hopefully.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Always tough to provide advise regarding putters since putting is the most personal aspect of the game.

And it can be difficult to get the right combo of weight and feel in one flat stick. as you've already discovered.

Odysseys in general tend to have a nice feel as do many Taylor Made Rossa sticks.

I play the Rossa Daytona #1 with agsi insert and love it.....however it does feel a tad lighter than some may like.

It is a traditional "Answer style" blade but in black matte finish which I also find appealing at address -has a single white alignment mark on the back flange.

If this sounds interesting to you -perhaps check out the Tour model as it is a weighted version of the same club.....wouldn't mind testing that one myself.

BTW- my other putter is an Odyssey two ball mallet with DFX insert which is firmer than the White Hot insert...I mostly use this one on the carpet in my office as I find that the Two Ball alignment system helps me better refine my stroke -thus putting more effectively with my TM gamer.....like I said , it's a very personal, subjective thing.

Good Luck with your search.

Originally Posted by keller19xc

Hi all, I'm looking to get a new putter, price will not be an issue.

I currently have a spider ghost and am unhappy with it, I'm looking to switch to a blade putter. These are what I've tried- Odyssey, Nike method, Tm ghost, Scotty Cameron

Just want some opinions on the putters you have tried and which one you use and what you like about it pros/cons

No club is used more often than the putter, so finding the right club can be a joy or a nightmare.

Over the last 50 years I have tried new putters and used putters; long putters, short putters, and standard size putters; regular, midsize and jumbo grips; mallet, blade, 2-ball, and perimeter weighted putters; right hand low, left hand low, claw, and croquet styles (now illegal) of gripping the putter; and, I have read Dave Pelz's "Putting Bible" plus 10 other books on putting by some of the all-time great golf pros, and am now reading "Zen Putting."

I won't even pretend that what works for me will be best suited for you. This is a journey that only you can travel. Enjoy the experience, and best wishes on finding your ultimate putter.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Note: This thread is 4034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!