IGNORED

removing tape when regripping?

Note: This thread is 4031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been regripping on an off for a year. Some clubs are easy when it comes to removing old tape, some not so much.
I tend to spray the tape down with some miracle spirits and then scrap.

sometimes it peels right off, sometimes I spend an hour.

I find my thumb is the best most effective tool.

I just bought a big bottle of Goo Be Goone.

I am going to try this.

But I am just throwing it out there to see what anyone else would suggest, (aside from a heatgun).

The gun is just not in my budget for the amount of grips I do!

Would anyone suggest not using Goo Gone?

Does anyone know if this hurts the shaft in anyway?

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a heat gun and after I removed the tape I use Goo Gone.  It's not going to hurt the shaft.  You can also use an everyday hair dryer to loosen the tape.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
I use a head gun and after I removed the tape I use Goo Gone.  It's not going to hurt the shaft.

They sell head guns on adameve.com I've heard. If they hurt the shaft they'd probably get a lot of returns! Creative use for Goo Gone... ;)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A hair dryer would do the same, but take a bit longer.  You are just warming up the adhesive.  I just use isopropyl alcohol to remove the adhesive.  You can take an old plastic gift card and use that to scrape any bits left.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It is easy to do with the right utility blade.  I don't use any sort of adhesive remover until I have most of the tape off.  It just makes more of a mess.  You can remove the tape from a steel shaft and have it cleaned in about two minutes.  I posted a how to video in another thread but did not think it was relevant, so I removed it.  Anyway, if you want to know a super easy way to do it on steel shafted clubs just let me know.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by cipher

It is easy to do with the right utility blade.  I don't use any sort of adhesive remover until I have most of the tape off.  It just makes more of a mess.  You can remove the tape from a steel shaft and have it cleaned in about two minutes.  I posted a how to video in another thread but did not think it was relevant, so I removed it.  Anyway, if you want to know a super easy way to do it on steel shafted clubs just let me know.

I wouldn't mind seeing a video or any more info you have on removing the tape. I have often wondered the same thing when re gripping my clubs.

Here you go.  Sorry for my voice.  I am not as think as you stupid I am.  Basically you just turn the shaft as you take little shavings off.  You just don't want to make your strokes too slow or weak, otherwise the blade will get hung up.

• Upvote 2

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I have a tape remover with a radiused edge, works great on the tough stuff. The only time I have trouble is with old clubs where the tape has gotten brittle. For seasonal jobs I've found last years tape usually just peels off by grabbing an edge.

Dave :-)

Get a bucket of hot water and soak end for 10 minutes then use tape scraper tool. It's real easy.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I do that with the graphite shafts.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...

Weird, I just regripped my irons for the very first time.  Long fingers, apparently I need jumbos.  I wouldn't have thought it, but I did the woods a couple weeks ago and they feel great, so I couldn't wait for my grips to wear out to do the rest of the clubs.  They felt so tiny and my left hand would cramp a bit at the range.

When the grips came off, I could just pull the tape off (from the factory) with my bare fingers - old adhesive and all.

Two of the clubs I managed to roll the adhesive a little bit such that it all came off with the grip itself.

Anyway - $14 worth of stuff (the rubber clamp thing, a roll of grip tape, squeeze bottle of grip solvent (smells like Goo Gone))

and 10 irons.  So if the shop charge $3 per club to regrip, I just saved $15.  And I have plenty of leftovers to do a lot more....

anyone use the air compressor method?  that looks pretty efficient

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 4031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!