IGNORED

Myrtle Beach,... what your opinion ?

skigolf33
Note: This thread is 4040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have had a condo in Myrtle Beach on Arrow Head go lf course for the better part of 17 years . I have had, during this period of time the privilege of playing all of the best courses in the Grand strand. At many sites for Myrtle Beach you can find their opinion of the top 20. I am giving you my opinion of five toughest, five best value courses, five overrated courses.

Toughest

best value                                          overrated

Glenn Dornoch                                Crown  Park                                             Tidewater

Pawley's plantation                          International club                                     world tour

Mooreland legends                          Farmstead                                                Pine Lakes

Wachesaw East                               Crow Creek                                             Pawley's plantation

River's edge                                    Wild wing                                                 TPCMyrtle Beach

the best happy hour   Salt water Creek Café

the best Steak and lobster   New York prime

the best Seafood   Sea captain's house

the best prime rib and barbecue ribs    Carolina roadhouse

the best Italian  Umberto's  at barefoot landing

the best wings Magoo's  ( too much smoke)

the best oysters Schuker's at Broadway at the beach

the best breakfast legends golf course .

What is your opinion ?

• Upvote 1

I loved farmstead when I played it and I would have to agree with you about pine lakes.  Pine Lakes was okay but I believe it cost more to play than farmstead does and I prefer farmstead.

Those are the only two I have played on that list so far.  I hope to get down there again soon and try out some more!

The Fall is the best ,but some times you run into over seeding which creates carts on the path ..The spring is good ,but you run into spring breakers in the beach restaurant's and BARS not on the courses .They don't aerate the courses until late May or June .

Farmstead golf course is in North and South Carolina ,on Sundays the cart girl can not go on to the 3 holes that in South Carolina until after noon ! II saw some of the biggest snakes I have ever seen @ Farmstead  !! ,watch your step ..The par 6, 9Th is a fun hole ,one of my favorites on the Strand .

When you back to 17  HWY , go straight across the HWY@ the lite ,down the road approx mile is where the gambling boats go out ,free buffet .You will see some real southern culture in this area ...

Originally Posted by skigolf33

Crusher 47... do you play Fossil creek or Texas Star courses in your area

I mainly play at Willow Springs in Haslet, but also play occassionally at Iron Horse in N. Richland Hills, TWU in Denton and Tour 18 in Flower Mound.  Have not tried Fossil Creek yet, but plan on doing so very soon.

Originally Posted by skigolf33

The Fall is the best ,but some times you run into over seeding which creates carts on the path ..The spring is good ,but you run into spring breakers in the beach restaurant's and BARS not on the courses .They don't aerate the courses until late May or June .

Good to know....thanks for the heads up!

I'd be happy to add my .02 to this topic as soon as I get off my mobile device and back to my desktop. Good reviews although some of the info seems to be slightly outdated. For example, Shuckers Raw Bar has gone severely downhill in the last few years. I wouldn't take my chances there. Also, SC changed the alcohol laws a few years ago. We can sell on Sunday mornings now. No need to worry about restrictions from the beverage cart on Sunday am at Farmstead. ;)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

TOUGHEST COURSES: - Grande Dunes Resort Course (very long, prevailing winds) - True Blue (long, water, a LOT of sand) - Dye Club at Barefoot (long, tough layout) - Prestwick GC (long, tight, water, sand) - DiamondBack (very tight) BEST VALUE: - Crow Creek (great layout, great price) - Heritage (Caledonia GC without the high price) - Oyster Bay (great views, nice layout) - Blackmoor (overall great course) - WildWing Avocet (the only course left from the 72 hole complex was the best layout) OVERRATED: - TPC MB (this course has no right being called a TPC) - World Tour (it's not worth the price. Only a few recognizable holes) - Barefoot Fazio/Norman (lackluster layouts at premium prices) - Myrtlewood (it's overpriced bc of its convenient location) - Pine Lakes CC (Very un-interesting) Best Happy Hour: Liberty Brewery at Broadway at the Beach Best Steak/Lobster: NY Prime or Greg Norman's Beat Seafood: Flying Fish at Barefoot or Divine Fish House in Murrells Inlet Best Italian (authentic): Villa Romana Best Wings/Pizza: Broadway Louie's Sports Bar - Broadway at the Beach Best raw bar: Dirty Don's @ 21st ave North Best Sushi: Soho @ 21st Ave North

I think we agree on allot .Your toughest group make sense ..One of my favorites is Heritage@ Legends .

I agree that the Norman course @ barefoot is very weak and should be in the overrated .I really like the fact that Crown Park has heated cars and the pace of play is always good .For what they charge w/ the passport card is a great value .The only down side is the food  :( .

A well kept secrets is South Creek .It is over shadowed  by Kings North ,The conditions are good and the track is challenging ..

Don't forget the steaks and service @ Ruth's Chris .Their bar/happy hour menu make it a little easier on the pocketbook !

What do think of Thistle in NC..?

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

TOUGHEST COURSES:

- Grande Dunes Resort Course (very long, prevailing winds)

- True Blue (long, water, a LOT of sand)

- Dye Club at Barefoot (long, tough layout)

- Prestwick GC (long, tight, water, sand)

- DiamondBack (very tight)

BEST VALUE:

- Crow Creek (great layout, great price)

- Heritage (Caledonia GC without the high price)

- Oyster Bay (great views, nice layout)

- Blackmoor (overall great course)

- WildWing Avocet (the only course left from the 72 hole complex was the best layout)

OVERRATED:

- TPC MB (this course has no right being called a TPC)

- World Tour (it's not worth the price. Only a few recognizable holes)

- Barefoot Fazio/Norman (lackluster layouts at premium prices)

- Myrtlewood (it's overpriced bc of its convenient location)

- Pine Lakes CC (Very un-interesting)

Best Happy Hour: Liberty Brewery at Broadway at the Beach

Best Steak/Lobster: NY Prime or Greg Norman's

Beat Seafood: Flying Fish at Barefoot or Divine Fish House in Murrells Inlet

Best Italian (authentic): Villa Romana

Best Wings/Pizza: Broadway Louie's Sports Bar - Broadway at the Beach

Best raw bar: Dirty Don's @ 21st ave North

Best Sushi: Soho @ 21st Ave North

i think prestiwick is a tough course for sure, trueblue if you are on the proper t's i think is fair course. if you are playing it at 6800 it is a brute...actually i guess i feel the same about GDR if you play it at 6300 it is a good time.

typically for my group the number we look at it 6300 to 6500 we don't ever play shorter then 6300.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I think we agree on allot .Your toughest group make sense ..One of my favorites is Heritage@ Legends . I agree that the Norman course @ barefoot is very weak and should be in the overrated .I really like the fact that Crown Park has heated cars and the pace of play is always good .For what they charge w/ the passport card is a great value .The only down side is the food  :( . A well kept secrets is South Creek .It is over shadowed  by Kings North ,The conditions are good and the track is challenging .. Don't forget the steaks and service @ Ruth's Chris .Their bar/happy hour menu make it a little easier on the pocketbook !  What do think of Thistle in NC..?

Ruth's Chris is a great place to for happy hour or a steak. I didn't include it because its a chain restaurant and I figured a lot of others already had experience with it. Thistle is a great golf course. Love the track. I would play there more but it's usually a little tight on giving out discounts. I have never played Crown Park. One of the very few in the area I have not played. Maybe I'll check it out.

I'm heading to myrtle end of May to play the with, the wizard and Man O War. We were trying to play budget golf and mix kn some interesting golf for the price :)

HiBore XLS 9.5* Driver

AMP 15* SF 3 Wood

R11 3 and 4 hybrid

AP1 712 5-GW

52* Gap Wedge

SV 56* Wedge

SV 60* Wedge

35" Melbourne Putter

Hex Black Tour

I'm heading to myrtle end of May to play the with, the wizard and Man O War. We were trying to play budget golf and mix kn some interesting golf for the price :)

The Witch, The Wizard and Man 'O War have some very decent 3 round combo rates. I'm not sure if you've played them before but the Witch is an interesting layout. Being that it s about 10 miles West from the coast, it's one of the rare MB courses that has some elevation changes. The Wizard is a fairly straight forward layout, and my personal pick for easiest course in MB. Most of my friends have shot their all time low score at that course. Man O' War has a ton of water, a few interesting holes, and is usually fairway windy as most of the course is exposed. Hope you enjoy the rounds. I haven't played any of them in at least a few months, so I can't personally comment on the courses conditions. The 3 round deal is a decent value for budget MB golf.

The

M an o war and the Wizard are right next to each other, right off-highway 501.. Man O war has some of the best greens in the grand strand and plenty of water.

You may want to pick up the Myrtle Beach golf passport card which gives you many discounts on golf and restaurants. This will save you a considerable amount of money. May is a good time in Myrtle Beach, the golf prices go down and the schools have not let out. If you need any other additional information contact me at

skigolf33@msn.com , I would be glad to help

The only downside to the Witch is if it rains the carts stay on the path and you are dealing with plugged balls all day. It is a unique course and does not fit the mold for general Myrtle Beach golf. It is definitely worth playing and if you play it you will probably meet quite a few locals. One caveat, the South Carolina Highway Patrol often set up their speed guns on Highway 544 and they are brutal.

Hey, Myrtlebeachgolf where is your restaurant ,is it in Broadway @ the Beach ?

Note: This thread is 4040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!