IGNORED

Interesting Topic... Course Fashion

DDBowdoin
Note: This thread is 6102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like to stay up on course fashion, but I believe things have become a little too untraditional. I mean, now you have the worlds greatest player wearing a 'mock collared' shirt. I do not care if it has the word 'mock' in front of it or not, that is not a collared shirt. Golf is a sport where the phrase 'act as if' applies. If you go out there dressed like a slouch, you deserve to play like a slouch. However, if you go out dressed like a tour pro and act like you know what you are doing, you tend to focus a little more and it does tend to help your game out if you take it a little more serious. In short, stick to slacks and polo's.

Good thing Michael Jordan didn't use this logic or basketball players would still be wearing shorts that barely reached the middle of the thigh. Tiger Woods has never looked like a slouch, even with some of the ugly shirts he wore last year. A mock certainly looks better than an oxford shirt with a tie tucked in and a pair of knickers.

I'm a huge fan of mocks and don't believe that the lack of a collar makes it any less a golf shirt. A golf shirt is a shirt usually consisting of 3 or 4 buttons but never two. This eliminates any Ralph Lauren Polo shirts (unless its their golf line). With that in mind, a Nike golf or any other golf manufactures mock is more of a golf shirt than a two buttom casual polo.

3 buttons? Damn, now I have to return that $60 Nike Body Mapping Polo I bought with 2 buttons. That must explain why I lost a ball the last time I wore it.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen a Nike golf polo with 2 buttons... I have seen Nike polo's with two buttons but they were part of their tennis line.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I actually just saw that shirt. It's strange though, it's their only shirt with two buttons. Everything else is either a mock or three buttoned polo.

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

A mock certainly looks better than an oxford shirt with a tie tucked in and a pair of knickers.

I refute this!

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

The boys I play with don't give a damn what anyone looks like, (unless their wearing jeans/tank top etc...) The courses we play, are more expensive so we don't see any really bad fashion.

I am certainly the best dressed out of my group. There is no intimidation factor, the way someone dresses does not define their golf game, it defines their value system.

Two partner's of mine wear khaki's, and generic cotton polo's/golf shirts.

I wear the microfiber/high tech shirts. I've got 2 Arnold Palmer's, 4 Mike Weir's, 3 Nike's, and an Under Armour. I dress to be comfortable, in the heat. It also helps that I don't buy my own clothes, so it's affordable

I do have to admit, (see avatar) that my friend's bug me all the time, because my hat needs to match my shorts, which have to match my shoes. (I have two pairs Black and White) I'll hit a bad shot, and they let me know it's because I am wearing the wrong hat!

For my regular street clothes? None really, pair of jeans, and whatever sweatshirts I get for Xmas.

Everyone I know understands I only have to types of clothes.
Work and Golf.

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

as long as your have a colared shirt on, and a pair of Dockers you are fine, that's my theory.......nothing looks better then a nice pressed off shirt, & shorts and a pair of "Black Footjoy" with ankle cut black socks......

I have gotten slack (from no other then the Wifey) about tucking my shirt in though, I never do.....in the cold I wear a jacket or sweatshirt of some sort so itdoesn't matter then either......I find that tucking my shirt in makes me uncomfortable.....

I don't really give a damn about what people are wearing. It's more about HOW they're wearing it. I just hate it when people have their pants way up and tucked in jersey like the biggest dork. Or people who have way to big clothes like when they can fit in five arms in their sleeves. Or people who wears neon colors. I'd rather see people walk arround on the course dressed like 50 cent or something.
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

I think the way you dress isn't really an intimidation factor when you're playing in a regular foursome or with people you know. But when you're a single and your paired with other people your fashion and clubs influences what kind of match they want to play and who they select as their partner.

Daniel Duarte

I actually just saw that shirt. It's strange though, it's their only shirt with two buttons. Everything else is either a mock or three buttoned polo.

The funny thing is, after your post I went to Golfsmith.com and checked out the shirt there and it has three buttons. I ordered mine from the company that does our embroidery for work and had the company logo put on it. That way it didn't cost me anything as I get to pick out shirts for myself periodically. In their catalog it is labeled a Nike Golf Body Mapping Dri-Fit Sport Shirt. My guess is that it's actuall from the tennis line and they just put it in with the golf stuff. That is the only explination I can think of for the difference in the two.

Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I do have to admit, (see avatar) that my friend's bug me all the time, because my hat needs to match my shorts, which have to match my shoes. (I have two pairs Black and White) I'll hit a bad shot, and they let me know it's because I am wearing the wrong hat!

I try to have my hat match at all times. I did however just pick up a Scotty Cameron Camoflage Trucker hat. It has the crown logo on the front and Titleist accross the back in orange. Very high class/white trash combo. I wear it with an orange Adidas ClimaCool Shirt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-CAMAOUFLAG...ayphotohosting

that is a crazy hat... definately something I would rock. I try to match my hat to my shirts but I have a lot of strange shirts so that can get hard.

as for the 3 button definition for a golf shirt, I have no idea... industry standards... next time you are in a golf store count how many golf branded shirts have two buttons. just one of those things...

Daniel Duarte

as for the 3 button definition for a golf shirt, I have no idea... industry standards... next time you are in a golf store count how many golf branded shirts have two buttons. just one of those things...

I guess the better question would be, if I wear a polo with only two buttons would you consider that unfit for the course? I personally would not think so.

I try to have my hat match at all times. I did however just pick up a Scotty Cameron Camoflage Trucker hat. It has the crown logo on the front and Titleist accross the back in orange. Very high class/white trash combo. I wear it with an orange Adidas ClimaCool Shirt.

I have a Van Dutch hat that looks just like that only with a red Van Dutch logo on the front. It goes nice with a red shirt and green pants.

In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

The two button that I have is actually a little restrictive arround the collar. I would actually prefer a third button.

Myself, I care about how I look on the course, no sweat stains on hats, no ripped clothing.....and when possible pressed slacks.

I think your attire to some degree is a reflection of your attitude towards the game and the course itself. Blue jeans on the golf course tends to look unthoughtful and a bit too casual and unacceptable for a high end course.

I myself wear some light grey slacks (MEXX), which I find are great those hot and humid weekend afternoons. I've also got a pair of bootcut chinos/Khakis from Banana Republic....quality pants, without all the little pockets. A white belt always with my white Callaways. 2-Button Ralph Lauren Classic Fit Polos (solid red, navy, white) which I interchange, white hats (Mizuno & Taylormade preferably with Canadian Flag )....simple, modern and modest.

You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

What do you guys think of the collars up style? It's pretty audacious, but I like it, however I'll probably look back in 20 years and laugh at myself.
You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

I prefer to wear very bright colours because I think it looks better. But I don't mind just wearing plain clothes. If I had the money I would have full J Lindeberg clothes or TaylorMade/Adidas in colours like Sergio and Poulter wear.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

Note: This thread is 6102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!