IGNORED

Does Anyone Swing an 11 Wood?

28 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I have a 7-wood ish thing in my bag, toying with going to 9-wood, 11-wood instead of Β  4 and 5 iron. Or something to that effect. I just don’t hit my long irons as well as I’d like to.

I’d do like a 25Β° hybrid if I could find a 26Β° adjustable that I could set at 25Β°.

I dont get the adjustable club gimmick...why not just buy a 25* hybrid...just buy a taylormade rescue mid 25* hybrid on ebay cheap..30 bucks... instead of wasting 500 bucks on a silly adjustable club

On 12/21/2022 at 11:42 PM, hoganbenn said:

I dont get the adjustable club gimmick...why not just buy a 25* hybrid...just buy a taylormade rescue mid 25* hybrid on ebay cheap..30 bucks... instead of wasting 500 bucks on a silly adjustable club

I don’t like bonded hybrids because they have a draw bias. By lowering the loft of an adjustable hybrid, you open the face.

• Thumbs Up 2

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Does Anyone Swing an 11 Wood?
7 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I don’t like bonded hybrids because they have a draw bias. By lowering the loft of an adjustable hybrid, you open the face.

I flatten the lie too. Otherwise it’s hook city.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

For 2023 I decided to go with an 11 wood (in my case a Mavrik Max), rather than the 6H (also a Mavrik Max) I played for most of 2022 because I hit it more consistently distance-wise and much higher so it stops quicker on the green.Β  I suspect that the lateral dispersion might be higher with the 11W than the hybrid, which I will test on Trackman in the coming weeks.Β 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour orΒ Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag;Β Shot Scope X5;Β True LinkswearΒ 

1 hour ago, Bob M said:

For 2023 I decided to go with an 11 wood

Christopher Guest These Go To Eleven GIF by Maudit

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, Bob M said:

For 2023 I decided to go with an 11 wood (in my case a Mavrik Max), rather than the 6H (also a Mavrik Max) I played for most of 2022 because I hit it more consistently distance-wise and much higher so it stops quicker on the green.Β  I suspect that the lateral dispersion might be higher with the 11W than the hybrid, which I will test on Trackman in the coming weeks.Β 

if you check Second Swing Golfs videos they compare irons to hybrids to 9 woods and the hybrids have thenworst dispersion..i went with high lofted woods because inam normally a low ball hitter so high lofted woods give me the proper trajectory and are dead straight...i guess ing that anyone who orefers a hybrid are diggers and it is sweepers of the ball that are far better off with high lofted woods...ps also so esy to hook a hybrid but pretty hard to hook a wood in comparison.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

my sons 585: titleist hybrids have a square to perhaps bit open face...thats what the titleist literature says too.ps...the awful xr callaway driver my son had was a gimmick..when you adjusted it you were only really adjusting how it sat on the ground...you could just have turned the grip in your hand like any nonadjustable driver and got the same hook or open face....ps...did you notice that the taylormade aeroburner increases swingspeed and distance...main reason is because it was built without all the adjustment crap so it would be lighter and therefore faster and give you more distance...my 2007 titanium big bertha nonadjustable driver is longer than any of my buddies new adjustable drivers i try on the range just to compare and so i can rub it in to them.

Edited by hoganbenn

4 minutes ago, hoganbenn said:

main reason is because it was built without all the adjustment crap so it would be lighter and therefore faster and give you more distance...

Even with the screw and sleeve there is still plenty of discretionary weight to move around in a driver. For example my club has a 26 gram plug of tungsten in the rear of the head. 26 grams is way more than the screw and sleeve weigh.Β 

The Xxio X driver is probably the lightest driver in terms of total weight on the market today. It's under 250 grams total weight. It has an adjustable sleeve.Β 

The Wilson D200 driver is only 268 grams and it has an adjustable sleeve.Β 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs.Β 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.Β 

On 12/23/2022 at 7:05 AM, boogielicious said:

I flatten the lie too. Otherwise it’s hook city.

That too. I usually aim for 59-60 on the lie. If the hybrid flatter than the iron I’m replacing then we’re in business.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• 1 month later...

image.png.937d89d56e5b2a4038c9dd1ad6e44967.pngBack in the previous century, I caddied for a guy who had a Ginty 11-wood. Ginty was a boutique company that made trouble clubs well before Adams Tight Lies and modern hybrids emerged.

He used it to chop the ball out of rough - several times a round. Also for medium shots from fairway. And, he used it with a quarter swing for uphill pitch-and-run shots.

He got good at it... probably hit it 20 times a round.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

If you are struggling to hit the relevant iron to your 11W, by all means go ahead and put it in the bag.Β  If not, consider keeping the iron since I find they are a bit more flexible in terms of shots you can hit.Β  However, the biggest advantage to Fairway Woods / Hybrids is that you can hit them better as your swing speed slows down thanks to age

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

8 hours ago, pganapathy said:

If you are struggling to hit the relevant iron to your 11W, by all means go ahead and put it in the bag.Β  If not, consider keeping the iron since I find they are a bit more flexible in terms of shots you can hit.Β  However, the biggest advantage to Fairway Woods / Hybrids is that you can hit them better as your swing speed slows down thanks to age

This ^^^^^

After a 10-year hiatus fromΒ golf, I started playing again when I retired in 2019 (aged 63). Frankly, the effects of (i) not playing for 10-years and (ii) getting older resulting in my having a really slow swing speed. For me, lofted fairway woods are the way to go because I am able to hit them higher and with less dispersion than either the related iron or hybrid. Also, as @WUTigerΒ noted above in his comments about the ginty, they can be pretty flexible in terms of the type of shots one can hit. As an example, Michelle Wie was known to hit 180-yard stingers with hers.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour orΒ Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag;Β Shot Scope X5;Β True LinkswearΒ 

pgnapathy is in india so he needs his long irons to kill snakes and to keep bengel tigers away...

On 12/23/2022 at 2:48 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Even with the screw and sleeve there is still plenty of discretionary weight to move around in a driver. For example my club has a 26 gram plug of tungsten in the rear of the head. 26 grams is way more than the screw and sleeve weigh.Β 

The Xxio X driver is probably the lightest driver in terms of total weight on the market today. It's under 250 grams total weight. It has an adjustable sleeve.Β 

The Wilson D200 driver is only 268 grams and it has an adjustable sleeve.Β 

When i was young an old guy told me if i wanted to close the face of my driver or iron more toΒ  just close the face at set up and then grip the club...pretty sure thats all my sons crapp xr driver was doing when you moved the sleeve. that callaway sleeve was only changing how the club sat on the ground anyway...he could have just opened or close the face and regripped a non adjustable driver plus all he actually did was get rid of that driver and just work on his swing....berhard langer has his iron grips put on closed so he magically has adjustable irons the old school way....man he hits accurate iron shots...like a german machine..ps...i see pros with iron heads that are custom made just for them with lead tape on the heads...lol..ps..never understand why guys who call hybrids hook machines 1/play them 2/always buy hybrids with offset...

46 minutes ago, Bob M said:

This ^^^^^

After a 10-year hiatus fromΒ golf, I started playing again when I retired in 2019 (aged 63). Frankly, the effects of (i) not playing for 10-years and (ii) getting older resulting in my having a really slow swing speed. For me, lofted fairway woods are the way to go because I am able to hit them higher and with less dispersion than either the related iron or hybrid. Also, as @WUTigerΒ noted above in his comments about the ginty, they can be pretty flexible in terms of the type of shots one can hit. As an example, Michelle Wie was known to hit 180-yard stingers with hers.

you are right and you explained everything well. Most guys say something without explaining where they are coming from and leave out half the facts.

a/guys will only use 3-5 irons and say you just have to practice more leave out 1/that they must be fast swingers 2/if all you had to do is practice more wheres their 1 and 2 iron?Β  3/they dont mention todays ball is a low spin ball

b/guys who only use 3-5 hybrids say you just have to go through 20 of them to find ones you can hit and high lofted woods hit the ball too high, but..Β  1/they wont try more than oneΒ  high lofted wood 2/pga pros hit towering irons to hold the green anyway...played with my neighbour at the course hes a pro at...he hit a towering iron into the green...i hit my 25* wood shot at about the same height i think but inside his ball...(he didnt like that)...ps..man he hits a high 3 wood. 3/hybrid guys dont mention that they are diggers and swing a bit faster than slower swinging high lofted wood guys who also tend to sweep the ball

Edited by hoganbenn

1 hour ago, hoganbenn said:

just close the face at set up and then grip the club...pretty sure thats all my sons crapp xr driver was doing when you moved the sleeve. that callaway sleeve was only changing how the club sat on the ground anyway...

No, that's not true.

Changing the sleeve changes the lie angle. The draw setting will be as much as 3 degrees more upright.Β 

I'm sure the same old guy that told you to strengthen your grip at address probably also told you that if you lower the butt of your club (essentially raise the toe) you'll hit a draw. That's what the sleeve does. It makes the driver sit more upright, or in affect raises the toe. Raising the toe will cause more of a draw, or at least tame a fade. Similarly, lowering the toe will have the opposite affect.Β 

You can literally see the difference. Pull the shaft out sometime. You'll see the hole isn't bored straight through the adapter. It is angled about 2-3 degrees. Spin the shaft around it lowers the toe, spin it the other way it raises the toe. It will also increase the loft in one orientation and decrease the loft in the other orientation.Β 

3 hours ago, hoganbenn said:

pgnapathy is in india so he needs his long irons to kill snakes and to keep bengel tigers away...

And people in Florida need it for the gatorsΒ πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

No, that's not true.

Changing the sleeve changes the lie angle. The draw setting will be as much as 3 degrees more upright.Β 

I'm sure the same old guy that told you to strengthen your grip at address probably also told you that if you lower the butt of your club (essentially raise the toe) you'll hit a draw. That's what the sleeve does. It makes the driver sit more upright, or in affect raises the toe. Raising the toe will cause more of a draw, or at least tame a fade. Similarly, lowering the toe will have the opposite affect.Β 

You can literally see the difference. Pull the shaft out sometime. You'll see the hole isn't bored straight through the adapter. It is angled about 2-3 degrees. Spin the shaft around it lowers the toe, spin it the other way it raises the toe. It will also increase the loft in one orientation and decrease the loft in the other orientation.Β 

Β 

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

No, that's not true.

Hi...you say it is not true, but youreΒ  basically saying its true...you dont normally hit a driver off the ground so you could just lower the shaft in the air at address likeΒ  you said the old guy would have said..ps do a lot of these guys really need flatter lies because they are under 6 feet? Ping eye 2 drivers came in dfferent lies for tall and short guys ..i am 6 feet so maybe that's why i dont care because everything is made for me...i take black dot pings....i do get a kick out of guys who say they changed their $700 to 11* etc...when drivers were $ 200 you could just buy an 11*..not rocket science..by the way my $100 new on sale 11* 2007 big bertha 460 (maxed out legal cor, size etc)i think came with a closed face, internal heel,weighting and probably a flatter lie because Callaway knows 90% of the guys need that and they had models preset for the other 10%...around that time the head engineers at Callaway and ping said adjustable drivers were a dumb idea. Every 6 months now Taylor made comes out with a new drivers that they have evidence increases distance by always 8-10 yards.....in 10 years that is 200 yards more driver carry...yesterday on nbc they showed rorys only 10 yard driver increase over the last 10 years and that is after all the bulking up with weights and the new balls that supposedly added 10 yards every year....

4 hours ago, hoganbenn said:

Β 

Hi...you say it is not true, but youreΒ  basically saying its true...you dont normally hit a driver off the ground so you could just lower the shaft in the air at address likeΒ  you said the old guy would have said..ps do a lot of these guys really need flatter lies because they are under 6 feet? Ping eye 2 drivers came in dfferent lies for tall and short guys ..i am 6 feet so maybe that's why i dont care because everything is made for me...i take black dot pings....i do get a kick out of guys who say they changed their $700 to 11* etc...when drivers were $ 200 you could just buy an 11*..not rocket science..by the way my $100 new on sale 11* 2007 big bertha 460 (maxed out legal cor, size etc)i think came with a closed face, internal heel,weighting and probably a flatter lie because Callaway knows 90% of the guys need that and they had models preset for the other 10%...around that time the head engineers at Callaway and ping said adjustable drivers were a dumb idea. Every 6 months now Taylor made comes out with a new drivers that they have evidence increases distance by always 8-10 yards.....in 10 years that is 200 yards more driver carry...yesterday on nbc they showed rorys only 10 yard driver increase over the last 10 years and that is after all the bulking up with weights and the new balls that supposedly added 10 yards every year....

I'm sorry. I'm having trouble tracking the argument you are making.Β 

Are you saying adjustable sleeves don't do anything? ... Because they do.

Are you saying you don't need an adjustable sleeve? ... Because... okay, maybe not.Β 

Are you saying drivers are too expensive? ... Because, that's a matter of opinion.Β 

I'm really not sure what you are trying to tell me. I'm not being a jerk. I just really don't know what you are on about.Β