IGNORED

Lose and Loose- Please stop spelling Lose "Loose" Please. Please.

UncleRobot
Note: This thread is 3970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Especially on a "public" forum. I WILL become offended. ;)

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Though you are giving people "Instruction," this does not fall even remotely under "Playing Tips." Moved to The Grill Room.
  • Upvote 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

I don't get what your saying. Isn't this there problem, not you'res?

JK of course. :P I just know that nobody who spells like that will bother to read this thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My son would say, "What's the big deal, you can still understand what I'm saying...". Well, here is my retort:

1. Depending on the nature and severity of the mistakes, oftentimes no, I cannot understand what you are saying.

2. Your are dissing your readers by basically saying, "Here, you put in the extra effort to decipher/understand, I'm too lazy". It is incumbent upon the writer to make his communication clear.

3. Many people, when confronted with bad grammar, spelling, and punctuation, will just stop reading. The worst are the long run-on paragraphs sans punctuation or capitalization. Unless it is really amusing, I just look for something else to read.

4. I would like to think that my tax dollars are doing a little bit more than just producing a generation of lazy self-absorbed kids whose only real skill is knowing the ins and outs of their cell phones.

My son did just join this forum (I have to start watching my cursing), so Ryan, I hope you read this.

• Upvote 2

dak4n6

Originally Posted by UncleRobot

Lose and Loose- Please stop spelling Lose "Loose" Please. Please.

And thinking that most words that end in an "s" should have an apostrophe before them.  Why do people type "golf pro's" and not "golf club's" or "golf hole's"?

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't get what your saying. Isn't this there problem, not you'res?

JK of course. :P I just know that nobody who spells like that will bother to read this thread.

Reel cute!  :)

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

And thinking that most words that end in an "s" should have an apostrophe before them.  Why do people type "golf pro's" and not "golf club's" or "golf hole's"?

Maybe the confusion stems from the fact that "pro" is a clipped form and possibly confused with a contraction which typically utilize apostrophes? Then again, we are talking about people who can't spell.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

As for those of us who can spell, and for those of you who can't, the apostrophe before the "s" is used to replace the word "is", as in "he's" (contraction for he is) walking to the first tee, not I went to the shop and talked to both of the "pro's".  It's the difference between a plural of something and a contraction.  Just nitpicking, I know.  Spell away.

The examples you gave are correct of course but a contraction is not the only time an apostrophe is used before an s.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Originally Posted by dak4n6

My son would say, "What's the big deal, you can still understand what I'm saying...". Well, here is my retort:

1. Depending on the nature and severity of the mistakes, oftentimes no, I cannot understand what you are saying.

2. Your are dissing your readers by basically saying, "Here, you put in the extra effort to decipher/understand, I'm too lazy". It is incumbent upon the writer to make his communication clear.

3. Many people, when confronted with bad grammar, spelling, and punctuation, will just stop reading. The worst are the long run-on paragraphs sans punctuation or capitalization. Unless it is really amusing, I just look for something else to read.

Totally agree ... especially number 2.

I don't have any problem with bad grammar so long as people are at least trying.  I'm not going to pretend that I'm great with grammar and punctuation (pretty sure that I over-use and probably incorrectly use parentheses and dashes, for one) because I will sometimes screw up my their's, my two's and my your's as well.  And we all make typos.  But those run-on sentences with no punctuation or capitalization (yeah, I'm talking to you tuff! :)) and the posters who type like they're writing poetry with weird little clipped sentence fragments ....  Argh!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by CraiginKSA

Yea, loose and lose, I hate that one.

Also, advice and advise - hate that one as well.

Affect/effect

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yea, loose and lose, I hate that one. Also, advice and advise - hate that one as well.

"If you spell 'definitely' with an 'a,' you're definitely an a-hole."

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

"If you spell 'definitely' with an 'a,' you're definitely an a-hole."

Yeah that one kills me! I tell people to remember that definitely is rooted in the word finite, that usually cures them.

I'm also amazed at how many people have never been told that hear has an "ear" in it and that here can be found in "there".

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I'm also amazed at how many people have never been told that hear has an "ear" in it and that here can be found in "there".

Hmm, I have never hEARd that one before.

dak4n6

How about people who say "suppose to?"  ... Which also reminds me of the classic Friends episode with "supposably."

Here's one ... you never see it written, but you always hear it.  And this dipwad (me) didn't even realize until fairly recently that he has been saying it all his life.  Just never really thought about it ...

Taking "another" and trying to emphasize it a little more by saying "a whole N other ..."

Originally Posted by teamroper60

The examples you gave are correct of course but a contraction is not the only time an apostrophe is used before an s.

Understood.  I was simply pointing out what I see as the most common misuse of the apostrophe on this forum.

Note: This thread is 3970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!