IGNORED

What is the Life Cycle of your golf quipment?

Note:Β This thread is 5764 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1. 1. What is the life cycle of your clubs?

• Driver/Woods/Hybrids - gotta have the latest
    • D/W/H - once/twice per yr
    • D/W/H - every 3 or 4 years
    • D/W/H - why fix what works?
    • Irons/Wedges - gotta have the latest
    • I/W - once/twice per yr
    • I/W - every 3 or 4 years
    • I/W - why fix what works?
    • Putter - gotta have the latest
    • P - once/twice per yr
    • P - every 3 or 4 years
    • P - why fix what works?

I have had my Mizuno MP-29cs in my bag for 11 years. In that time, I have worn out 3 SWs, 3 LWs, and replaced my driver 3 times and my putter twice.

Sadly, my MP-29s are in dire need of replacement. The PW has been re-grooved and really shouldn't go through another session. Same can be said for the 9,8, and 7 irons. I am finally gearing up to replace them, but the choices are daunting as when I bought this set the default was Mizuno (my index at the time was a 3.4 and has, thanks to time and rust, has crept up to a 5.2 - but will be following as I have dug a nice hole in my schedule to start playing and practicing again!), but now I am going to have to give Titleist a serious look over.

Decisions, decisions.

Irons: MP-29c (2-PW)
Wedge: Vokey 56/8 bent to 54
Wedge: Tour 60degree
Putter: Redwood Anser (34in)
3-Wood: PT @ 13.5degreesDriver: Burner TP 9.5 (65g Shaft)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wear down my irons probablly more than anyother clubs, like most players, but I like them more when they are worn out it gives them a better feel. I have been playing GT X500 since last year, but yesterday I went out and bought the CG4 and I love them they have a shallow cavity back and have a really thin top line. They are sweet!

With the exeption of my Scotty, which went into my bag at the start of 2006, and my hybrid, which went into the bag at the start of 2007, everything has been in my bag since at least 1999. I do believe that it may be time to replace my driver. I think I'll look seriously at the Titleist D1, or the Ping Rapture. I've also been thinking (and dreaming) about a new (to me) set of forged irons. Maybe in a few years. My wedges, three-wood and hybrid are probably lifers. I love my Scotty but I may finally have to switch to a mallet, an old Rossie Dual Force, for the sake of my sanity.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

For me trying new clubs and tinkering around with my equipment is part of the golf hobby. Not a big part of it but I enjoy scouting for putters, drivers, woods, wedges etc. My biggest weakness is putters. I almost never buy them new but have no problems shelling out 40 or 50 bucks for a used putter if it feels good. I have never used a putter for an entire season. I dont really plan on ever sticking with one putter either. I dont do it because I expect my new club to solve all my problems, it is just fun to experiement.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

• 2 weeks later...
I think the main reason most people replace their drivers more frequently than any other club is because they might see their buddies suddenly outdriving them w/new technology and feel they have to keep up and buy a new one as well. I just changed from an old Cleveland Launcher to a HiBore last year and it made a huge difference for me. I have been using the same Anser 2 for 20 years now and have tried other putters but nothing ever seems to measure up.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

I am changing everything in the bag now after 4 years.

I am going back and forth between a new r7 Superquad or a Cobra driver.
Irons, I am going from Callaways to the new Ping i10's
Wedges, about the same time period as irons. Buying new Vokeys
Putter, buying a new one, have had garbage $20 ones, but I am pulling the trigger on one that I can have for atleast 5 years before I need a new Change
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

I don't change too often. I bought the Ping G5 driver before Christmas and that is the newest club in the bag. My clubs are familiar to me and I like the looks of what I have.

I am a growing boy and had to make the switch to stiff shafts this at the beginning of 2007. However, I will not switch clubs until I go to college (currently a sophomore)

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

• 1 month later...
I've had the same set up for 2-3 years now, piror to this setup I had a bunch of hand me down sets. I can't justify spending that much on clubs right now since I have decent stuff right now. I would however like to invest in some more forgiving irons, but don't have any money.

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

I change Drivers every 2 years or so. there seems to be more technological advances with Drivers than with other clubs.

My fairway is about 6 yrs old and I'm shopping.

Irons. lifecycle there is 5-10 years depending on condition and care. Maybe I'm cheap, but its harder to spend $1k on irons than $300 on a new driver.

Putters - what can you say! You either have 10 or just 1. I'm sticking to 1 right now.

driver- every two or three years, then upgrade to latest if affordable.
irons- every 3 or 4 years, probably longer with the ones i have now.
wedges- as long as they work, ill keep em till they get pretty worn out.
putter- stick with it if it works.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I just traded out the Titleist 983E driver I've had for about 4 years for the new 907 D2 just in the last month. I think more than anything with drivers you need to keep up with the technology. The new ones are bigger and more forgiving. After only playing a few rounds I can see a difference. There is not much change on center hits for me, but the off center hits are definatly straighter and longer than with the old driver.

I will change out my sand and lob wedges when I don't get enough spin because the grooves are wore out. Usually every couple of years, depending on how much I play. I always get the same thing.

I have had the same set of irons for about 8 years and plan on getting new ones this year. Some of the clubs are a little worn, and quite frankly I just want something new. I've kept them this long mostly because I didn't have the money for a new set.

My three wood and two iron have been in the bag for about 8-10 years and I have given no thought to changing them.

I have had the same putter for about 15 years now. My dad gave it to me for Christmas (I told him what I wanted). It is a Magnesium Bronze Ping Anser 3. It is way outdated, but I am very comfortable with it and never even thought to change it. It works great for me and I don't want to have to learn something new. Putting is way too important to mess with, unless you struggle, then mess away.

I change grips at least once a year. The higher use clubs (driver, sand wedge, 8-iron) may get two or three. Takes about an hour or two for the whole set and is real easy once you do it a couple of times.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I've had my irons and wedges since 2003, but have re-shafted. I go through drivers every 2-3 years. I seem to buy at least two putters/year, whether they are new or used.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I've posted this before but I'm playing the same irons for the last 14 years. I change putters every 3 to 4 years. I played the original Callaway Big Bertha 1-3-5 that I bought in 1990 for 16 years. Disciplined or stupid, I'm not sure. I'm ready for new irons. I'm happy with my 3 wood and hybrid. I have a love/hate relationship with my driver. Thinking that I might want to change that to a tour model driver.

Β 

In the last 5 years, I've certainly had more money to buy clubs. Early in life, it seemed to make sense to save up, buy a set, and cling to it until you broke them all, or they rusted out. A lot of people use hand me downs.

I have 2 neighbors, the first next door, and the other, 2 houses away. They both work at golf courses locally, and always seem to have something to sell!! So if I really need or want something, they can usually help me find it.

On, the other hand, I think once you do find clubs that you hit well, you should stay with them, especially when your swing changes and you think you need new clubs. I don't think new clubs will do the trick. You have to work out the problems in your swing.

I think if you can afford it, being fitted by a professional is the way to go.

I use an adjustable 2 weight 3-wood clone that was built for me. . .THE BEST club in my bag. I recently ordered some "clones" that are the square head style. Similar to the Callaway XT-i design. They are on the way, I'll be sure to let you know what I think. Driver is being built, purchased a set of 4 from Ebay, 3, 5, 7, 9. Those should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.

I have been using the same irons for the past 12 years, but usually get a new driver every 2 years or so... i have just recently (last friday) ordered a set of CG Golds hopefully they will last me 10+ years...

Note:Β This thread is 5764 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!