IGNORED

What is the Life Cycle of your golf quipment?

Note: This thread is 5759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What is the life cycle of your clubs?

• Driver/Woods/Hybrids - gotta have the latest
    • D/W/H - once/twice per yr
    • D/W/H - every 3 or 4 years
    • D/W/H - why fix what works?
    • Irons/Wedges - gotta have the latest
    • I/W - once/twice per yr
    • I/W - every 3 or 4 years
    • I/W - why fix what works?
    • Putter - gotta have the latest
    • P - once/twice per yr
    • P - every 3 or 4 years
    • P - why fix what works?

I went with the 'why fix what works' options, but having said that, it was all replaced (driver, irons, wedges and putter) within the last 12 months. This was due to having the old stuff for a good few years, and having bought them all as 2nd hand as I wasn't as flush at the time.

I replaced them last year as I was finally in a position to treat myself to new equipment. The driver hasn't worked out though, so its being replaced this summer, and the ageing Warbird 5-wood will be put into retirement at the same time.

Getting fitted in the coming weeks for PING G10 1 & 3 woods at a local club, but also seeing about the Callaway FT-I or FT-5 driver and a FT 3-wood or Taylor Made R7 Superquad and a Burner 3 wood.

Once I have those, I have what I would see as a bag full of spanners that I am more than happy to be working with, and with the irons (and soon to be woods) being wedding anniversary presents, I'll be keeping these clubs for a good few years to come!

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I only started 1 year ago, and have had 3 drivers, 2 fairways, 1 hybrid, 2 iron sets, 3 sand/lob wedges and 2 putters
But I have only recently upgraded to top of the range equipment, which will be kept for a while (except for driver, need less loft).
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Well I only started 1 year ago...

And to be 11.2 handicap in such a short time is a fantastic effort. I'm going to have to put in some serious effort in the coming months as I am fed up being an 'average' 16 handicap!

9 here I come!

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

I started playing a couple of years ago, and as I improve I buy new clubs to fit my improving swing, but once I start using blades, and "tour" woods, I think that I'll just find what I like and use them forever.
In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

Hard not to upgrade every year with the technology happening so fast. For instance i have the original R7 quad and loved it. Then the 425 and now the Superquad. Why not have a 460cc head since it is allowed. Irons maybe keep them longer that woods. Putter you can have forever if youfind a really good one you like. How about new balls too. I used to only play Titleist and not i play Bridgestones 330's or Taylormade blacks. How GOLF has changed. My dad still plays with his old blades from 20 years ago and still trys to whip me. HAHAHAH
whats in my bag
Driver: Superquad 8.5 LOVE THIS CLUB
woods: R7 TP 3 wood
Hybrids: Burner 3
Irons: XD BurnersWedges:Vokey Spin Milled 56Putter: G5 ZINGBall:TP Black

• 2 months later...
I typically go by the motto, "if its aint broke dont fix it". My irons are getting kinda beat up looking (quite a few knicks and scuffs on the heads) and Im kicking around the idea of getting a new set of irons.
Probably get a new 17* hybrid next year to replace my 3-wood and my only wedge (other than my PW) is a 68*, so I'll be in the market for a 60* Vokey to fill the gap between my PW and my 68*.
For the most part though, once I get a set of clubs that I like, I dont like to mess with things. No sense in messing with what works.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I will use a driver until I grow tired of it, or a new type of driver is crafted with notably superior technology - usually 2-3 years.

Same goes for Irons and Wedges. However, these suffer much more wear and tear then the driver and fairway woods, so I tend to replace them more frequently.

I have had two putters in the past 5 years.

---------------------------------------------------------------

In my R7 stand bag:

Driver: G2 8.5 degree (Aldila NV Green 65 stiff)

3-Wood: X-Tour 13 degree (stiff)

3-PW: rac MB Irons (Rifle 6.5)

G-Wedge: rac 52 degree

S-Wedge: Z TP 56 degree

L-Wedge: Z TP 60 degree

Putter: Heavy Putter G3-DF "rake" (34")

Balls: TP Black LDP

I dont know if it is all about when.

I have just updated my driver and 4 wood because I wanted some new technology and I really like what I have. I will keep them until I start having real trouble with them or until they get really worn out.

That is the same with my irons. I replaced them becasue I wanted to get back to a blade type iron.

The putter is something I have benn changing though. i have been searching for one that I like the feel of. I am really happy with what I have, so I am going to keep it until I just have that feeling that I have to get something else.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

I invested in a completely new set last year and don't think I'll be needing any new drivers/hybrids/irons any time soon. May invest in a first rate putter at some point, but not just yet. I think it's kind of related to how much you play; the last set I had were bought 2nd hand for a friend and they did me fine for the amount of golf I played, now that I play more its probably a lot easier to justify to myself if I did decide I really needed something.

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

For the most part I feel like you should stick with what works. There are some exceptions though when there are leaps in technology. When I was in middle/high school (graduated in 99), they were just starting to come out with large titanium drivers, but I refused to get one. Needless to say my opponents in our matches were suddenly out driving me by 25-50 yards. I didnt break down and buy a new driver until after college (I didn't play competitively through college) and it was like a switch was turned on. Now I will probably at least hit the newest drivers every few years to make sure I am not giving away yardage. I got a Burner TP last year and a Tour Burner TP this year and I absolutely crush them both.

From what I have seen in irons they don't make as much of a difference in my game. When I started playing seriously in middle school I got a set of DCI's. Then in high school I got another set of DCI's when I stopped growing. In college I picked up a set of Maxfli Revolutions and I absolutely loved them. Last month I was forced to buy a new set of irons and I went with a set of 755's and so far I have had very good luck with those as well. For all intents and purposes though I am still hitting my irons about the same distance/trajectory as I was 10 years ago.

I am still using the same model (original was stolen) putter that I have had for 15 years, and I love it. I feel like the "advancements" in putter technology are just gimicks to get the people that have no confidence in their putting to try something new and spend more $$$.
In my brand new bag (all my old stuff was stolen out of my trunk in June 2008 ):

Driver - Tour Burner TP 9.5 65g Stiff Shaft
Woods - Steelhead Plus 3 & 5
Irons - 755's S300 Shaft 3-PW 1° flat54° Wedge - Vokey 54.10 Oil Can60° Wedge - 60.05 ChromePutter - ZebraBalls - ProV1

i just got a whole new set..

but before that i had been playing the same irons for about 10 years .. i'd rotate drivers about every 3 or 4 years ..

my wedges would simply wear out and i'd get new ones every 2 or 3.

putters .. i have about 15 of 'em :) haha.

Sean

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11S 9 degree.  Set to upright 8 degree.  Aldila RIP Alpha 60s X flex shaft.

3 wood: TaylorMade 13 degree RocketBallz (coming shortly).. X Flex Matrix X Conn.

Hybrids: 2iron / 4iron Taylor Burner Rescue.

Irons: 5 - PW 2008 Model Year Titleist AP2

Wedges: 49*, 54* 60* Cleveland 588 Rusties.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi Long.

Balls: Titleist Pro VX

Bag: Titleist Black / Red Staff

After reading "The Right Sticks" by Tom Wishon, my clubs' life cycle has extended significantly
In The Bag...

Nike Nike SQ SUMO 5000 9.5*(UST ProForce V2 Stiff)
Titleist 975F 13.5* (Dynamic Gold S300)
Titleist DCI 990 2-PW (Dynamic Gold S300)Nike Forged Unchromed 53*Nike Forged Chrome 60*Ping G2i Craz-e

I bought my Irons and after 4 mounths I would like to change it. But Once I will have the irons that I want I think that I will keep for long.

bag:
hybdrid: XM1 24°
irons: XM1 (5-PW)
wedges: x-forged 56°
putter: Karsten B60balls: juice ix

Its sad when you don't need any golf equipment anymore. I might consider a 13.5 fairway wood for the par 5s.

I have played my clubs for about a year and a half and find no need to change anything right now.

I have practice with my 60 and 56 wedges and notice more wear on the face.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 5759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!