IGNORED

Are we always looking for the ultimate club?

Note: This thread is 4002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was at a local golf store the other day and noticed a set of clubs, boxed up in a wooden box and marked with "K.J. Choi" name on them. They wanted $1,000 for the set and said they were special clubs made by a Japanese company.

We are all looking for clubs that hit well but I'm wondering if there is a market for high-end specialty clubs? In other words, if there was a new brand of clubs for sale that promised "pure" power, would you be tempted to buy it?

Originally Posted by forepoints

I was at a local golf store the other day and noticed a set of clubs, boxed up in a wooden box and marked with "K.J. Choi" name on them. They wanted $1,000 for the set and said they were special clubs made by a Japanese company.

We are all looking for clubs that hit well but I'm wondering if there is a market for high-end specialty clubs? In other words, if there was a new brand of clubs for sale that promised "pure" power, would you be tempted to buy it?

That is Miura .... it is a special edition club.

That's all. A high end player's club.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

That sounds right. Is it worth the money they ask for?

Worth depends on perspective They are well made clubs w exacting standards. Depends on what performs for you

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I don't consider the price outrageous - there are many mass-manufactured club sets which cost nearly the same (or more).  As to whether they're worth the money - I know they wouldn't be for me.  I'm not proficient/consistent enough to play pro-level blades and I'm sure my game would suffer badly from trying.  The clubs most pros play, while they may be finely crafted with very tight tolerances, are not necessarily the same clubs a 20+ handicapper should play.

As to the last question in the OP - at my current skill level, I'm much more interested in forgiveness and playability than "pure power".  All the pure power in the world isn't going to do me any good if it's just letting me hit 40 yards further out of bounds or skull my shots 30 yards further over the green.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Then there's clubs from a company named Fourteen Golf. What do you think of their clubs?

Reputation is okay - known more for their wedges.

Personally, as a 21 hc, I'd stick with major OEMs and avoid boutique brands. Id' go to taylormadepreowned.com or callawaypreowned.com, get on their mailing lists and watch for their sales.

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 4002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!