IGNORED

The Definitive &#(@%ing Cursing/Swearing/Cussing/Profanity Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

I totally agree with you that the best way to teach/lead is by example.  The problem is, if the children see something becoming more and more prevalent, it will be easy for them to think (especially at a younger age), "aaah, what does Dad know, all these others are doing it"

If you are losing your kids to peer pressure when they are very young there is something seriously wrong.

More likely this is just a pretext to criticize Tiger.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you are losing your kids to peer pressure when they are very young there is something seriously wrong.  More likely this is just a pretext to criticize Tiger.

I did not say anything about "losing" my children. Is it so hard to believe that they could be influenced by other people than myself? I actually could care less about Tiger or Tigers swearing. I look at pro athletes differently than every day people. They live in a different world. BTW, I will respond no more in this thread. Erik said to take it to the #$%! cursing thread. Feel free to bash me over there.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

There is probably no more expressive or flexible word in the English language than "f____".     It can be a noun, and adjective, and a verb.   Sometimes all in the same sentence, as in "F___ the f___ing f____ers".        Or, as comedian Lewis Black says, in New York it isn't even a word....it's a comma.

This thread is funny...lol

I rarely cursing when I play but when I do......it'd be in foreign language so most people have no clue!!!!!!

Driver: Mizuno MP-630 10.5* S-Flex

Irons: 4-6 Mizuno JPX 800 S-Flex, 7-P Mizuno MP-58 S-Flex

Wedge: Mizuno MP-10 56*

Putter: Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2

Ball: Gamer V2, Q-Star, e-6

I did not say anything about "losing" my children. Is it so hard to believe that they could be influenced by other people than myself? I actually could care less about Tiger or Tigers swearing. I look at pro athletes differently than every day people. They live in a different world. BTW, I will respond no more in this thread. Erik said to take it to the #$%! cursing thread. Feel free to bash me over there.

Not sure what your expectations are, but we on this forum are only a small one millionth percentage of the population and even if your opinion changes us, that's not sufficient. I'm just telling you like it is, and never will a sporting event be a non-swearing venue, nor should you expect it to, regardless of what you belive is right. It is completely your decision as to what you expose your children to.

Originally Posted by justtapitin

I rarely cursing when I play but when I do......it'd be in foreign language so most people have no clue!!!!!!

Yeah, I find myself using this one quite a lot, too.

"Doos", literally "box" but colloquially denotes a vajayjay.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Yeah, I find myself using this one quite a lot, too.

"Doos", literally "box" but colloquially denotes a vajayjay.

Love that the one announcer actually had the nerve to put the other (presumably South African) announcer on the spot like that.  Has anybody ever in the history of golf hit a poor shot and then derogatorily referred to themselves as something pleasant?

While I'm able to string expletives together in long, creative combinations, I'm conscious of who I'm around (both on and off the golf course) and tailor my language accordingly.  If I'm out with the usual bunch of guys I golf with, I hold nothing back (and neither do they) - if I'm in the company of women, children and/or anybody who I know isn't comfortable with profanity, I bite my tongue and keep it clean.  I just consider it discretion/common courtesy.

As far as Tour players go (I read the thread that this one spawned from) - I'll preface my opinion by saying that I'm not a TW fan at all (to put it mildly).  With that said, I don't hold him, or any other Tour player, to a higher standard than I do myself or anybody else.  However, part of that standard (at least for me) is that if I knew I was mic'ed up and a mixed audience on national/worldwide television was hearing virtually every word I said, I'd skip the cursing and keep it clean.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Ironically, where kids hear the most swearing is probably where they spend most of their time out of home: in school. This "problem" stems from players being miked more often and of course, Tiger being the bad guy. He's the one always in the spotlight, so it's his "filthy language" we get to hear. Not the rest of the tour, which also swear.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

Ironically, where kids hear the most swearing is probably where they spend most of their time out of home: in school.

This "problem" stems from players being miked more often and of course, Tiger being the bad guy. He's the one always in the spotlight, so it's his "filthy language" we get to hear. Not the rest of the tour, which also swear.

Right on both counts.  I still remember being a kid, although it was a long time ago - we didn't dare swear in front of our parents at home, but even in elementary/middle school the language would make a sailor blush.

As far as the rest of the Tour - I don't have a problem with any of them swearing (TW included)....just don't do it when you know you're mic'ed up or near a hot mic, the gallery, etc.  To be honest, I'm surprised the Tour hasn't taken a stronger stance toward it, since they're so staunch about the "image" (not letting Tour players wear shorts, etc.).

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

On average, I use very little profanity.  It wasn't tolerated in my house growing up and to this day my parents have never heard me use a swear word.  I have chosen to raise my children the same way, I am sure they curse when with their friends, but they won't in our home.   We're not prudes, we will all watch movies with profanity.  I'm not offended by profanity, I just want to teach my children that there are alternative ways to express yourself that doesn't require its use.

On the golf course with friends, anything goes, especially if I hit a slice into the woods.  I think there's a time and a place for it, obviously around kids and ladies is not the time, otherwise #$@$$ @@ away.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

I still stand by what I said elsewhere:

• I'd rather players occasionally swear and show emotion (positive AND negative) - watching robots play golf is boring.
  • Athletes everywhere swear. Golfers swear a LOT less, as do golf fans. Attend any other major sporting event and you'll hear a lot more from the players if you're close enough and fans.
  • My child can hear someone swear and knows it's still wrong.
  • They're just words.
  • Cursing is fun. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hmm, i would say i learned profanity from my dad, i know shocking :p

But i really didn't use it in school, even between friends, we didn't curse much at all. Where i really cursed was at college, that was like a whole free world of expletive expression right there.

But i will curse, i tone it down in front my relatives, but and i go about 1/4th in front of my parents. My friends, i will drop a few more. I am just conscious of cursing around other people. If there are kids around i will curse less, if its all adults, i will curse more. If i am by myself, i let it fly, i love it. Just the expression of it, the release of emotion, its great. Nothing like reading a good book, and a favorite character dies, and you go off, love it.

As for golf, i will curse, but it depends. Sometimes its playful, like if the ball takes a wierd bounce, or hits a tree limb, it might be, "YOU B***"

If i am having a bad day and get frustrated it might be a loud, "Stupid F@#$"

Honestly i don't mind it around me, because i grew up with it. My friend thinks it detracts from any sort of meaningful conversation. But i cursing is fine, and in some regards adds a bit of emotion into something people say. But i guess he has the right to say cursing detracts from any sort of conversation because, i've known him for 15 years now, and roomed with him at college, and i've heard him drop one curse word ever. It was quoting a TV we just watched the day before. So it wasn't even used in a bad way. So yea, he's a saint :p

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

The order in which I'm likely to swear, from least to most:

• Around my kid.
  • Around strangers (i.e. giving a lesson, meeting my wife's work friends I don't know very well, etc.).
  • Around my in-laws (they don't swear but don't mind the occasional word from someone else)
  • On the golf course (I really don't have reason to swear very much - often it's positive like "holy shit that was a great shot!")
  • Just hanging around with some guys I know reasonably well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I swear every morning my wife's alarm goes off... And then she proceeds to lay there for another 30 minutes before she gets up. (if you're reading this honey, I love you and will take the trash out before you get home)

Originally Posted by iacas

The order in which I'm likely to swear, from least to most:

Around my kid.

Around strangers (i.e. giving a lesson, meeting my wife's work friends I don't know very well, etc.).

Around my in-laws (they don't swear but don't mind the occasional word from someone else)

On the golf course (I really don't have reason to swear very much - often it's positive like "holy shit that was a great shot!")

Just hanging around with some guys I know reasonably well.

LOL.

Positive swearing I'm ok with. 

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 2226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!