IGNORED

The Definitive &#(@%ing Cursing/Swearing/Cussing/Profanity Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Hmm.  I've heard Mormons drop the f-bomb plenty of times.  Even famous athlete Mormons.  Being raised Catholic, I am only required to feel guilty about swearing.

LOL,,,That's a good one!!!!

I don't cuss my bad shot's very often, but slow groups in front of me can get an occasional WTF!!!!

I'm not Catholic so no guilt required!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Originally Posted by wedge head

Interesting...almost all of the statements made about swearing on the golf course being normal if not expected, comes from high handicaps. Maybe if you spent more time concentrating on your game you would play better and not have so many reasons to let go...

Wow.

Since this thread was a spin-off from a conversation about professional golfers (who are not high handicaps last time I checked) using profanity, maybe somebody should tell Tiger to spend more time concentrating on his game so he would play better and not have so many reasons to let go.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When you act like an idiot every time something happens out of the ordinary, people will realize you have no game.

all people have to do is see my swing & they'll know I have no game.  It must be nice to be an always in complete control single digit hcp player who likes lecturing people less skilled than himself about practicing more ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

When you act like an idiot every time something happens out of the ordinary, people will realize you have no game.

When you assume people who swear are acting like an idiot...it makes you look like an idiot.  You know, you can actually swear very quietly?  Have you ever whispered before?  It's the same concept.

Originally Posted by inthehole

all people have to do is see my swing & they'll know I have no game.  It must be nice to be an always in complete control single digit hcp player who likes lecturing people less skilled than himself about practicing more ...

Pay no attention to it.  That completely ignores the fact that PGA, Euro, and LPGA touring pros who swear are clearly not high handicappers.  It also assumes that any swearing is accompanied by an emotional outburst or some other sort of demonstration, which is not necessarily the case.  In short, he's attempting a correlation that simply isn't there.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

Pay no attention to it.  That completely ignores the fact that PGA, Euro, and LPGA touring pros who swear are clearly not high handicappers.  It also assumes that any swearing is accompanied by an emotional outburst or some other sort of demonstration, which is not necessarily the case.  In short, he's attempting a correlation that simply isn't there.

Yeah, I didn't see a p-value from a Fisher's Exact test to confirm or deny his null hypothesis.

• Upvote 1

dak4n6

When you assume people who swear are acting like an idiot...it makes you look like an idiot.  You know, you can actually swear very quietly?  Have you ever whispered before?  It's the same concept.

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Yeah, I didn't see a p-value from a Fisher's Exact test to confirm or deny his null hypothesis.

What are you guys talking about?  He's right and it's documented.  haven't you ever seen this:

• Upvote 2

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Comparing this chart to the Number of 5SK earned vs. Handicap chart suggests a possible inverse correlation between frequency of cursing and the number of 5SK earned? Implying that simply cursing less might result in learning more of the 5SK elements ... or maybe not

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

What are you guys talking about?  He's right and it's documented.  haven't you ever seen this:

• Upvote 1

Mike

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak4n6

I thought it was more like this:

• Upvote 1

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I guess I owe this forum an apology. It wasn't my intention to come across as elitist or arrogant. I'm 61 years old and have raised 4 children. I've played competitive golf on the state level and designed, constructed and operated my own course. My purpose for sharing my feelings as I did is this. I feel there is a huge disconnect in the way people are behaving in public situations these days. There seems to be no respect for the people around you. I don't object to swearing. I have one of the dirtiest mouths you'll ever encounter. I've learned to temper my mouth in situations where I'm not known and where I may offend someone around me. I really enjoy playing with anyone regardless of ability.

Long story short, I have a huge respect for the game of golf and what it can do for the people who enjoy. I guess I have to realize that the way golfers present themselves today is much different than in the past.

Again, I apologize for coming across as being above anyone else in the sand trap. Let's face it, that's why they call me wedge head.

• Upvote 4

I guess I owe this forum an apology. It wasn't my intention to come across as elitist or arrogant. I'm 61 years old and have raised 4 children. I've played competitive golf on the state level and designed, constructed and operated my own course. My purpose for sharing my feelings as I did is this. I feel there is a huge disconnect in the way people are behaving in public situations these days. There seems to be no respect for the people around you. I don't object to swearing. I have one of the dirtiest mouths you'll ever encounter. I've learned to temper my mouth in situations where I'm not known and where I may offend someone around me. I really enjoy playing with anyone regardless of ability. Long story short, I have a huge respect for the game of golf and what it can do for the people who enjoy. I guess I have to realize that the way golfers present themselves today is much different than in the past. Again, I apologize for coming across as being above anyone else in the sand trap. Let's face it, that's why they call me wedge head.

You, sir, have class.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I guess I owe this forum an apology. It wasn't my intention to come across as elitist or arrogant. I'm 61 years old and have raised 4 children. I've played competitive golf on the state level and designed, constructed and operated my own course. My purpose for sharing my feelings as I did is this. I feel there is a huge disconnect in the way people are behaving in public situations these days. There seems to be no respect for the people around you. I don't object to swearing. I have one of the dirtiest mouths you'll ever encounter. I've learned to temper my mouth in situations where I'm not known and where I may offend someone around me. I really enjoy playing with anyone regardless of ability.

Long story short, I have a huge respect for the game of golf and what it can do for the people who enjoy. I guess I have to realize that the way golfers present themselves today is much different than in the past.

Again, I apologize for coming across as being above anyone else in the sand trap. Let's face it, that's why they call me wedge head.

I have to agree as well, i am very similar. If i am by myself, i curse a lot more than i am with my relatives, or someone new. Even then the curse words i use are on the lighter side, nothing really harsh or vulgar.

As go for being offended, i don't get why people are offended by cursing. I can understand if you don't want your kids to hear it, but when you get those people who just look at you with shock in there face, like you just slaped them out of no were. I don't get that type of reaction to cursing.

Yea i get the concept of a gentleman's game. You also have to remember that Professional Golfers were frowned upon for many years around the time of Bobby Jones. They were gamblers, and thought as taking the purity of golf away form the sport. I don't mind cursing on the course, its to the level in which it interrupts people's play. There is no room for being excessively rude, or loud. I hate trying to play and hearing the group infront of you, from 200 yards away, yelling, cursing. To me its more of the volume and intensity that bother's me. I'll say a few choice words on some bad shots, but not loud enough for someone even 50 yards away from me to hear. To me i put it in the same category if a group is just overly loud. I guess its not the cursing, but not being considerate of other groups around you with the volume of the voice.

Also, that graph is awesome, i might steal that :p

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

My strategy is to hit so many bad shots that I am so used to it I rarely get the urge to curse. (But I would be lying if I said it has never happened).

For me it's more like "Well there's yet another one. How in the world am I going to make a par from there."

Two things I would like to add.  One of which I have told before.

I once was paired with a terrible golfer.  Topped shots, missing the ball, putts making it half way to the hole.  Being a helpful guy, I tried to offer some suggestions and tips.  After several holes this golfer began to curse and swear at me like a drunken sailor.  Unfortunately for me, I did not know that she would act like this on the golf course when I married her!

Our regular Saturday group used to include an accomplished former college player turned club pro turned pastor.  Whenever someone let one slip he would always tell them you should spend at least one hour on the range or practice green for every swear word you utter in a round.   One day my buddy responds, "S&*^, I don't have that kind of time".

If you study the history of golf, you will find that cursing was actually invented for golf .  No one ever swore before the game was invented.  This is a little known fact I just came up with.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

This pretty much sums up my beliefs on the subject.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

My buddy still tells a story from like 10 years ago about when I missed a 2 foot par putt on the 18th hole to lose like 8 different bets. I went into a expletive-laden tirade that even Bobby Knight would have been proud of. Funny thing was 4 groups of ladies were standing on the #1 tee which is right next to the 18th green. Boy, I got some stern looks as I walked past. I've learned to tone it down a bit since then, but sometimes you still need to let fly a few choice words.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 2224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!