IGNORED

Does this practice tool exist??

Note: This thread is 4039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So recently I learned of a lag putting drill Phil Mickleson came up with/practiced and I thought I'd put it to the test. The drill was to putt 5 out of 5 balls at the lagging distance (20-35ft) to within 3 feet of the hole. That imaginary three feet circle would be awesome if I didn't have to imagine it so I was wondering if they make some sort of ring that's thin and flat enough to lay around the hole? If you can imagine something like a muffle ring that some drummers use on their snare drums but a larger circumference. Idk if anyone knows if these exisist or if you guys even know what I have I my head. I'll try and find a picture of the drum ring I mentiond because that's exactly what I'm thinking of but just larger!! Feel free to recommend any other putting tools you like!

I always use a couple of tees around the hole, mainly in the back of the hole to not interfer with the putting line of course.

I practice lag putting by requiring myself to at least 2 putt every lag putt.  It does me no good to get the ball within a given radius from the hole if I can't make the second putt.  Therefore, I always putt the second putt into the hole.  No measuring device needed.

The only real putting practice aid I'll use sometimes is a chalk-line to snap a straight line on the green to help me with alignment and stroke.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Eyeline Golf -   http://www.eyelinegolf.com/products/target-circles

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

Originally Posted by TKGolfs

So recently I learned of a lag putting drill Phil Mickleson came up with/practiced and I thought I'd put it to the test. The drill was to putt 5 out of 5 balls at the lagging distance (20-35ft) to within 3 feet of the hole. That imaginary three feet circle would be awesome if I didn't have to imagine it so I was wondering if they make some sort of ring that's thin and flat enough to lay around the hole? If you can imagine something like a muffle ring that some drummers use on their snare drums but a larger circumference. Idk if anyone knows if these exisist or if you guys even know what I have I my head. I'll try and find a picture of the drum ring I mentiond because that's exactly what I'm thinking of but just larger!!

Feel free to recommend any other putting tools you like!

I bought one of those about 6 yrs ago and left it at the range --- no one turned it in. I guess eyeline has one that is much thicker. The one I had was thin and folded up nicely.

Found it!  See post below - the golf ring

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

You could make a circle with a piece of string.

Cir=2Pi*r=6Pi

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

This is it. I need to order another - they have them in a set, too.

Liteweight and folds up nicely.

http://www.thegolfring.com/products.aspx

It looks as if Dave Stockton is endorsing it.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by David in FL

I practice lag putting by requiring myself to at least 2 putt every lag putt.  It does me no good to get the ball within a given radius from the hole if I can't make the second putt.  Therefore, I always putt the second putt into the hole.  No measuring device needed.

The only real putting practice aid I'll use sometimes is a chalk-line to snap a straight line on the green to help me with alignment and stroke.

That's the point of the drill... to get the ball inside a distance that you should always make, so that you do always 2 putt. His thought process is "always make within 3 feet, so lag it to 3 feet".

It does lots of good to get it within a given radius if you can make it in the radius...

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

In Phil's DVD, he just puts tees in the ground in a circular pattern around the cup, using the putter to measure distance from the cup (about 3 feet for most conventional putters).  Pretty cost-effective.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Originally Posted by Missouri Swede

In Phil's DVD, he just puts tees in the ground in a circular pattern around the cup, using the putter to measure distance from the cup (about 3 feet for most conventional putters).  Pretty cost-effective.

Easier to throw a golfring at it.

I've tried both methods. I tend not to put tees into the ground - all that bending. But whatever works...

With this golfring, it's fairly thin, so it doesn't interfere with the rolling of the ball.

Note: This thread is 4039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!