IGNORED

Collapsing on the back 9

Note: This thread is 4041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For some reason when I've been playing the last few rounds, I've been playing ok for my level on the front 9 but as soon as I hit the 10th my game falls apart.  Any idea what could be causing this random thing from happening? I don't feel tired so I don't think it's that but the scores are dramatically different on these holes and they're actually easier than the front 9.

Originally Posted by Davie81

For some reason when I've been playing the last few rounds, I've been playing ok for my level on the front 9 but as soon as I hit the 10th my game falls apart.  Any idea what could be causing this random thing from happening? I don't feel tired so I don't think it's that but the scores are dramatically different on these holes and they're actually easier than the front 9.

Next time you play, check your mental fatigue.  Not feeling tired does not necessarily mean that you aren't tired.

You could be physically fatigued.

You could be mentally fatigured.

It could just be a mental block.

-Drink plenty of water on the course and before you play.

-Stretch again after the turn to make sure you aren't tightening up.

-Eat something that may give you a boost of energy; make sure you aren't playing on an empty stomach.

-Take a deep breath and focus on the back 9 as much as you did the front.  It could be that since you see them as easier holes you don't focus as well as you should.

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by SloverUT

Next time you play, check your mental fatigue.  Not feeling tired does not necessarily mean that you aren't tired.

You could be physically fatigued.

You could be mentally fatigured.

It could just be a mental block.

-Drink plenty of water on the course and before you play.

-Stretch again after the turn to make sure you aren't tightening up.

-Eat something that may give you a boost of energy; make sure you aren't playing on an empty stomach.

-Take a deep breath and focus on the back 9 as much as you did the front.  It could be that since you see them as easier holes you don't focus as well as you should.

I agree with all of these.  I used to have a problem collapsing on the back 9, and I attributed it to 2 things.  I wasn't drinking or eating anything to keep my energy up.  The other more important thing, was to stop thinking about what my overall score could be at the end of the round.

I am having the opposite problem as you lately.  I play terrible on the front, usually low 50's.  On the back I usually shoot low 40's.

Next time you play, check your mental fatigue.  Not feeling tired does not necessarily mean that you aren't tired. You could be physically fatigued. You could be mentally fatigured. It could just be a mental block. -Drink plenty of water on the course and before you play. -Stretch again after the turn to make sure you aren't tightening up. -Eat something that may give you a boost of energy; make sure you aren't playing on an empty stomach. -Take a deep breath and focus on the back 9 as much as you did the front.  It could be that since you see them as easier holes you don't focus as well as you should.

Agreed. I would bet its a focus thing too if you're not feeling tired. I occasionally might 'let my guard down' when I'm playing well expecting the good shots to keep coming on their own. Ill rush my pre shot routine or lining up a putt or something and before you know it there's 2 doubles and a couple sloppy bogies on the card and my 77 just became an 84. :(

Yep,

1) i like to drink at least 4 bottles of water for 18 holes, that's 2 bottles 9 holes, at least. I've down 6-8 before on hot days.

2) eating something before the round, and having snacks through out is important as well, but water is more important than food. Dehydration just kills concentration and energy.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 4041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!