IGNORED

hybrid

Note: This thread is 2933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I am new here. I am also not the best golfer either but I am so addicted to the game. I just love it. My question is do they make a hybrid iron with steel shaft?

Welcome to the forum.  The answer is yes.  Check out the Manufacturers websites and look at the specs for the hybrid.  You will see different shaft options.

• Upvote 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why would someone new to golf want a hybrid with a steel shaft?

You will  probably be sacrificing considerable club head swing speed compared to graphite. Which may most likely translate into lost distance.

To stogiesnbogies: my swing speed is between 90 to 92 and that a graphite shaft is a lot harder to stay consistent with. I really like the weight. I have rented the Nike slingshots and love them but they don't make them any more. So I am trying to find a set of irons similar.

yeah sure hybrids can be made with steel shafts.

However a hybrid is originally made to get the ball airborne more easy.

Because a graphite shaft is lighter it easier to do so. That is why you don't see

them so often with steel shaft.

The Callaway x-hybrids were available in steel. I bag the 2h, 3h and 4h. Definitely sacrifices distance, but they do act perfectly as iron replacements... Going iron distances...

I wanted steel shafts when I started as well. I remember having V-Steel 3 and 5 woods with steel shafts because I liked the weight. I was use to swinging a baseball bat and if the club was too light I felt no control.

That was 12 years ago. Now I only have steel in my irons, 2 hybrids with graphite, 2 fairway metals with graphite and of course a Driver with graphite.

You can always re-shaft a club with what ever you want. I don't think graphite is harder to control though as long as you have the right flex. That's what matters IMO.

Note: This thread is 2933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
    • I’ve got tennis elbow so I’ve only been a few times over the last few years as hitting balls one after the other does me no favours.   I’ve got tennis elbow so I’ve only been a few times over the last few years as hitting balls one after the other does me no favours.   I usually play Wednesdays and Fridays also the odd Monday  . If I don’t play Monday I will often go and have some practice, either that or a Tuesday. I often take the Driver , 3 wood 4,5 & 6 irons out of the bag and go with the rest. Learn to hit shots with the clubs I have ,stop around the green have a few chips ,pitches putts etc.  Also I read Dave Pelz’s short game book a while back. I’ve adapted my bike and can fit a wedge on it. At night I go down to the corner of a mown area by sports fields. I take turns of which wedge, and do pitch & 2 different ‘finesse’ swings. Over summer I’ve gotten a pretty fair idea of how far I hit the various swings & it’s definitely paid dividends . I regularly get up & down from under 100 yards, especially under 40/50.  Before I just sort of guessed which club, and the other benefit is swinging slower I find I’m much more accurate with my direction. 
    • One of the things I have noticed about really good Youtube channels - let alone excellent films, is exactly this. There might be a time lapse that would take hours to video, but it is on screen for perhaps less than two seconds. But it gives the presentation quality. Look at films with incredible special effects and costumes/props - Lord of the Rings, for example. Years and years go into making things like a belt that a camera may never even focus on, or be a hundred metres a way, but the film wouldn't work without them.The total is greater than the sum of its parts. The flip side of this, of course, is that a prop that takes 5 minutes to make and looks like crap it is noticeably crap even if it is on screen for half a second, like a poorly photoshopped "family portrait" or newspaper "front page" with a stuck on headline on paper not even close to the colour of the newspaper. The devil is in the detail and tiny things connect to make the big picture. A bit like golf, perhaps.
    • I’d rather have it shut than open. I can find a swing where it’s more shut than that. Open doesn’t work for me, the extended lead wrist gets me steep and I shallow late, leave the face too open (or shank) going to A7. The last 3 instructors I’ve worked with have told me to bow the lead wrist at 4 more and I’ll get away from that and get steep.  When I try and do that my arms come off my chest and path goes too out to in. When I feel like I drop the club behind me at A4 my arms will go out towards the ball pretty good I think, like in the second swing, at A5 my hands bisect the torso. 
    • My 2 cents is that if you have to add more than 1.5" or so, you are really in need of new shafts. As far as "orange dot length" is concerned, I always thought that the dot color only denoted lie angle, not length. For example, if I were to order Pings, I would want blue dot (1" upright) at standard length (I fall on the short end of standard range). I just came across an old post on here that give a good Ping chart. Don't comment in there unless it is really pertinent though, as it is quite an old thread.  
    • Looks closed to me, Steve.
  • Today's Birthdays

1. Miguel Martinho
      Miguel Martinho
      (25 years old)
    2. mtclinton21
      mtclinton21
      (36 years old)
    3. SwingCity18
      SwingCity18
      (33 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...