IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

The longer clubs, hybrid and up, I do this thing where I shrug my shoulders A5, A6 and onwards, steepens the shaft, and I stand up, so have been working on the longer clubs. I tried just plain on not shrugging the shoulders and stepping into the left knee more, but the original drill Erik/Preston gave me works best and I combine that with plain old just don't shrug and keeping in inclination, not standing up.

I can do this drill pretty good now in terms of no FSTs - Fat/Shank/Thin and making decent contact although the shaft angle can be variable. The key for me I think is not to shift the hands toward the ball when shallowing out the club @ A5. I have to feel the hands going behind me to get it to look of not going towards the ball. I used to FST on the first ball of day before I figured this out.

The last video, 3 hybrid, started right 5 yards and drew big time, probably 10-15 yards, carried about 190 from an elevated tee, a little low though, probably 20-25 yards high. It was about 40F.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made the trip to Erie, so totally worth it, should have gone earlier. I hit all the shanks and Erik fixed me straight away and more. Here's the 5 minute drill. Full Swing Was too out-in, han

What happens is he's not practicing.

Wow. I am bad at stick placement. I need to retake stick placement 101. Way closer to target line made swing better.   

Posted Images

• Administrator

The longer clubs, hybrid and up, I do this thing where I shrug my shoulders A5, A6 and onwards, steepens the shaft, and I stand up, so have been working on the longer clubs. I tried just plain on not shrugging the shoulders and stepping into the left knee more, but the original drill Erik/Preston gave me works best and I combine that with plain old just don't shrug and keeping in inclination, not standing up.

I can do this drill pretty good now in terms of no FSTs - Fat/Shank/Thin and making decent contact although the shaft angle can be variable. The key for me I think is not to shift the hands toward the ball when shallowing out the club @ A5. I have to feel the hands going behind me to get it to look of not going towards the ball. I used to FST on the first ball of day before I figured this out.

The last video, 3 hybrid, started right 5 yards and drew big time, probably 10-15 yards, carried about 190 from an elevated tee, a little low though, probably 20-25 yards high. It was about 40F.

Good, Steven.

Make sure you continue to go forward as you do the 5-7 part of the swing in particular, but this looks good. Remember too "draws" are good right now (even slight over-draws - it can mean you over-did it a little bit) because you were hitting push-cuts before.

Good good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Good, Steven.

Make sure you continue to go forward as you do the 5-7 part of the swing in particular, but this looks good. Remember too "draws" are good right now (even slight over-draws - it can mean you over-did it a little bit) because you were hitting push-cuts before.

Good good.

Awesome. I thought I was "backing up" a little sometimes, thus some very slight fat shots and/or hooks.

Not perfect strikes, but even though the shots look ugly, laying down the shaft better with longer clubs.

Shrugging the shoulders, standing up a bit, but able to get rid of it on the next swing. The thought is to shallow the club aggressively, more bowed wrist, keep going forward.

Working on the driver. Shrugging the shoulders, pulling the arms left - I think it's because I'm pointed diagonally relative to where the stall points that's causing some of it - I have problems with that. Trying to lay down shaft on downswing, swing arms out post impact, straighten the right arm and rehinge.

This is the problem swing. Shrugging, pulling arms left, right arm chicken wing-ish at A8.

Too low, 10-15 feet high at most.

A little better

• Administrator

This is the problem swing. Shrugging, pulling arms left, right arm chicken wing-ish at A8.

Get a little more forward. Lacking axis tilt right now. Set up with a little more, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Get a little more forward. Lacking axis tilt right now. Set up with a little more, too.

Thanks. Forward on the downswing?

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/65993/my-swing-nevets88/162#post_1074822"]   Thanks. Forward on the downswing? [/QUOTE] Yes and also with the hips a little more forward at A1.

Thanks. Will do that next time out.

2015 goals:

• Continue working on laying down shaft from P4, key #4, make this a natural don't have to think about it occurrence.
  • Make motion more natural. Less emphasis on hitting positions and more fluid, more active lower body while firing arms. Less swinging too carefully.
  • Reduce reliance on video. Videoing too many swings, increase ratio of not video'd swings to video'ed swings.
  • Play more rounds. Too much time on the range.
  • Continue working on feeling slope of greens, work w/digital leveler.
  • Work on wedge game. Wedge swings, hips look like they shift forward on the backswing, looks wrong. Dedicate some online/in person lessons to this and do overall check on wedge play from every possible lie, stance, situation.
  • On nGIRs, reduce pitch/chips to just outside 6 feet, 2 putt, bogey. God I ****ing hate, hate these.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if I'm talking out of my ear here, these are my thoughts. I like the right swing better - compressing into the ground more, not straightening up.

Even though the shaft is steeper on the right, I think I'm "faking" it on the left.

I'm preemptively shallowing the shaft before getting to A4 on the right, not sure what to think of this. I guess it should be in a more neutral position.

Still getting used to the shallow shaft, bend and under move for all clubs. Getting better at doing it more often, without changing up other parts of the swing. Will start and increase the speed more. Also don't like how closed the face looks post impact. Not sure what to do, will leave it alone for now.

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/65993/my-swing-nevets88/162#post_1086184"] [/QUOTE] Best it's looked, maybe ever; good stuff. What are your notes? :)

Ha ha. Thanks. I was going to say I could compress into the ground/squat a little more starting from A4 and get my hands a tad deeper there as well. Rehearsing the bend and under move over the ball 2-3 times before every swing. I'll still get steep, I'm posting the good swings here, but the steep ones are occurring less and the steep ones are shallower than the steep ones before. I use the edge of my credit card by laying it on the camera display to check whether the shaft is pointing outside the ball at A5.

Just to add to the notes of the previous swing - the transition from the top is the cleanest I've ever gotten it to look. I wasn't trying for it, but my swing thought was hinge a lot A1-A2. Stop hinge post A2 and feel like no hinge at all. Then suck the arms in, in technical terms, get the arms deep. That seems to have cleaned up the arm/hand runoff. My transition at the top has always been chaotic, which is something that always bothered me. I think this not hinging thought might work in the long run - I don't feel like I'm hinging, the video shows I'm just hinging a lot less or lower rate or whatever. I still get a little messy, but many more clean transitions.

Working on the bend and under with the 3W off the deck. These are little flea flickers. I have the same tendencies I do with the irons - different looking A4s. It's harder to shallow out with this club, thus the easier swing. Head is still "moving off the wall" between P4-P5, coming out of inclination.