IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

1 hour ago, Jerry in DC said:

Hi - I had some free time today and I read through a bunch of this thread to get some inspiration for my own improvement and to see what people are working on.  I just wanted to say that you've made a ton of progress and your swing looks really good.  It seems like you can be hard on yourself at times, which definitely has helped you improve, but I think you should also balance it out by appreciating your progress and enjoying how you can swing the club now.  It's very impressive. 

Thanks! Appreciate the kind words and glad someone can get inspiration from me as I do from swing threads here.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Baking in the changes to the backswing, getting used to the feel of more "torque", hands higher at the top. Also trying to "snap", not to try and "control" what's happening impact and beyond. More bat signal to sky a little earlier.

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 1.00.49 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Instructor liked the BS changes, thanks @iacas and @mvmac, now working on key #4 and #5, get wrist more bowed at top, keep it that way going down and more pinch armpit to chest on the way down. In lesson, saw that wrist was cupping all over the place on the DS.

Steve

2 hours ago, mistermuhl said:

In you videos you almost look like you are swinging at about 50% power. Is that intentional or are you just comfortable with that speed?

Yes, it's basically mostly at the edge of ability speeds/tempo to learn/feel new pieces w/a fast one every so often. There was a full speed swing a month or two ago. 

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing, getting used to more lead wrist flex at 4, maintaining it on the way down, lead arm to chest on the way down, snapping hips left and up around 6-7. Trail arm not fully extending here. 

Steve

So on a lark, sent in my videos to ggswingtips as he was offering a special price for an online analysis. Yeah, not good at being a stupid monkey here, but just really curious to see what he has to say, still sticking to pro I'm working with. I dunno, maybe got sucked in by "celebrity" instructor aura or too much of a Curious... George, ha ha.

Steve

Small changes. Setup - weakened trail hand grip. standing taller a tad, shoulders open a little more. Right elbow to right inseam going back. Did some 1/2 swings with an alignment stick extending from the club handle and pivot is a little better, a little more rotated at impact.

Steve

Swing the clubhead through the ball.

you tense and quit as if 'hitting' at it

golf is not about positions imo it's a dynamic game

one must establish the swinging motion of the clubhead all the way through to the finish tension free

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying for more snap hip left and up around impact, maybe a little better, need more. Right hand sneaking strong here compared to old swings but not as super strong as before. Shot in 4K, still grainy, but a little clearer. Need more "up" post impact? Arms still going too across post impact, more punch right arm at target?

Steve

In working on the pivot, tendency was for club to tip out, go over the plane around A6, usually resulting in shanks. A5 shaft would be pointing at or outside ball. Video would show pivot/rotation was good, but then club head coming in too steep A5.8 on. Why it didn't occur to "drop the clubhead" more at this point (noticed this move in one of Dana Dahlquist's lesson vids) befuddles me. So more PA3 w/more of a down component just before A6. This improved key #4, sweetspot path. Getting toe strikes now. Rotation and path look better, need more up?, more jump?, shaft looks a little low A7.5. Think the lead arm pointing to the stick at A7 is a good thing too, usually it just points too much towards the ball.

Steve

Slow and steady in trying to get the hips turn the corner more.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

First lesson of the spring, lead arm to chest/body, bow wrist more at A4, keep wrist structure at A4, no floppy wrist. Pivot is better, but still not happy with it, want more snap, more up, more bat signal to sky. Full speed swing, simulator said pull draw, 155 yards, 7I. 

Steve

On 19/02/2017 at 6:15 PM, nevets88 said:

Baking in the changes to the backswing, getting used to the feel of more "torque", hands higher at the top. Also trying to "snap", not to try and "control" what's happening impact and beyond. More bat signal to sky a little earlier.

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 1.00.49 PM.png

On 14/03/2017 at 3:39 AM, Jack Watson said:

Swing the clubhead through the ball.

you tense and quit as if 'hitting' at it

Just looking through, I would agree with this. If you get your backswing like it is in the top video, then you've got that half of the swing nailed - for whatever reason, you then don't get your weight through on the downswing, leading to it looking like you quit on it. 

Also, just interested here, but you seem to go through a lot of radically different-looking backswing thoughts or feels - is this coming from your instructor or you?

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

1 hour ago, b101 said:

Just looking through, I would agree with this. If you get your backswing like it is in the top video, then you've got that half of the swing nailed - for whatever reason, you then don't get your weight through on the downswing, leading to it looking like you quit on it. 

Also, just interested here, but you seem to go through a lot of radically different-looking backswing thoughts or feels - is this coming from your instructor or you?

I'm not an athletic or coordinated guy, so a lot of the pieces in my swing are sloppy and all over the place (another thing is not afraid to exaggerate which is good and bad) and when I make shorter swings, get in trouble, but figuring out more and more as I go along as the feel ain't real radar gets better. As for the pivot, I'm working on that, it's not the main priority right now from instructor, but plenty aware of not getting around well. One of the things I did wrong swinging slowly is not completing the swing, learning to do slow swings with a full finish.

Steve

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

I'm not an athletic or coordinated guy, so a lot of the pieces in my swing are sloppy and all over the place (another thing is not afraid to exaggerate which is good and bad) and when I make shorter swings, get in trouble, but figuring out more and more as I go along as the feel ain't real radar gets better. As for the pivot, I'm working on that, it's not the main priority right now from instructor, but plenty aware of not getting around well. One of the things I did wrong swinging slowly is not completing the swing, learning to do slow swings with a full finish.

I think you're being a bit too hard on yourself at the top - some of the backswing positions in the swing look excellent. I definitely know what you mean about the slow swings and getting everything right; I struggle to rotate through fully when I'm going below 50% or so and it looks horrendous. 

Subscribed though and look forward to seeing how things progress :-)

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

More rotated at A6:

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 6.30.35 PM.png

Steve

While focusing on the pieces of the moment, some of the stuff "baked in" can get off, so always monitoring, three consecutive swings, on left, L wrist is cupped, shaft across line (which isn't a killer), middle L wrist is a little too bowed, right is just right, maybe arm plane can be steeper. Not really sure if middle or right is "better",  if somewhere in the vicinity of those should be OK.

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 6.12.47 PM.png

Steve