IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Huh? I do what now?

Bleah, that came out wrong - it was meant to be a compliment, I wish I could be less Havercamp and more semi reverse c finish, get more extension like you do.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Bleah, that came out wrong - it was meant to be a compliment, I wish I could be less Havercamp and more semi reverse c finish, get more extension like you do.

Oh. I don't think it's your priority, but I think it has to do with how your hips are working.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

16 minutes ago, billchao said:

Oh. I don't think it's your priority, but I think it has to do with how your hips are working.

Too level?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

19 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Too level?

I don't know if it's that. It looks to me like you extend more towards the ball or ball/target line and to me, extension is about getting the left hip up and left. Full disclosure though, it's not something I work on or think about much at all, I just do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

I don't know if it's that. It looks to me like you extend more towards the ball or ball/target line and to me, extension is about getting the left hip up and left. Full disclosure though, it's not something I work on or think about much at all, I just do it.

Yeah, the right knee goes towards the ball too. Working on getting the right hip more left. It makes sense as I sometimes shank and hit towards the heel. 

Steve

Latest lesson added more "hang back", behind ball, right side bend for longer clubs as trajectory is often too low for longer clubs, in addition to regular stuff.

Steve

On 6/17/2018 at 12:44 PM, billchao said:

I've been looking at videos more closely and you're so right, I really see this now. Around A7-A8.5, right hip is going towards the ball. I mean, I knew this, but took a real long look at it. It's that right knee kicking out or something. Will try banking trail foot more, right knee to left knee touching, and I hate to say this, but firing the glutes.

Steve

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I've been looking at videos more closely and you're so right, I really see this now. Around A7-A8.5, right hip is going towards the ball. I mean, I knew this, but took a real long look at it. It's that right knee kicking out or something. Will try banking trail foot more, right knee to left knee touching, and I hate to say this, but firing the glutes.

One doesn't fire the glutes, one activates them 🤣

Bill

My Swing Thread

On 6/20/2018 at 6:15 AM, billchao said:

One doesn't fire the glutes, one activates them 🤣

d4eddf6905372d1ecf114aabd4626fde.jpg

So tried all those things to keep the hip from going towards the ball and some worked, basically making sure I rotated through all the way and banking trail foot but they made the swing look wonky, so went back to priority piece and just worked on shallowing and pivot at faster speeds, more right side bend, behind ball on longer clubs did launch the ball higher.

Will try something else to stop that lead arm from rotating right whatever it is, 15, 20 degrees from A1. Will try and not rotate arm and use soft right elbow to get the club back. This worked in front of a mirror.

Priority is hand depth on BS and shallowing automatic, alternating between 2 sessions on the range on 9 holes on the course to get range and course swing the same.

Steve

This is a hard shallowing move. In reference to the arm speed thread, I'm working those arms here. Massive left but happy that I can do it when I try to.

Steve

Put video camera tripod thingy on push cart and finally taking video on the course:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.52.34 PM.png

For the life of me that transition at A4 totally blows. It sucks cr@p. It goes a little cross the line and it's too late to shallow enough, it's just very messy. While it worked here, it's just too chaotic to drive consistently.

I thought shortening the BS would help, but what I really needed to do is lay off the shaft earlier, like at A3.75. So that's the goal for next time out. Something about the course, can't get the swings I do at the range. The previous posts above, transitions are pretty clean. 

Steve

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

For the life of me that transition at A4 totally blows. It sucks cr@p. It goes a little cross the line and it's too late to shallow enough, it's just very messy.

Your angles are off, but I'm not seeing this at all, unless you have other videos you didn't upload.

I actually think you might be ready to move on from shallowing in transition. It's not perfect but it's good enough at this point to start looking at something else that can impact your swing more.

Bill

My Swing Thread

17 hours ago, billchao said:

Your angles are off, but I'm not seeing this at all, unless you have other videos you didn't upload.

I actually think you might be ready to move on from shallowing in transition. It's not perfect but it's good enough at this point to start looking at something else that can impact your swing more.

Yeah, doing a live lesson this week. Interested to see what's next.

Steve

Lesson was really good, much better now. Strengthened grip (RH a bit more), hands in clubhead out face more square/closed A1 to A2.5, externally rotate trail arm starting at A3. Could do more external rotation with the longer swings here, still a work in progress, but much better contact and ball flight. Should have scheduled lesson IN FRIGGING APRIL, so stupido.

Steve

More (or is it earlier?) ER from A3 w/longer clubs, a little better than last time. Driver, 3W dispersion better.

Steve

This is the biggest long game score killer right now. Even though shallowing, CoM is not staying behind. Arms are going towards ball way too early. Suspect one of the reasons is ER too late or not enough adduction (or is it abduction, whatever, the one where you squeeze armpit to body). Whatever the case, if think ER earlier (A3 ish), it fixes the problem. Thinking that probably adds more adduction as well. Will overdo it and hands are behind, but it's better than heel hits or [shudder] shanks. In first video, [In Maxwell Smart voice] this close to shanking it. Kind of a miracle result of swing is actually playable. 1 centimeter more, it's blowup hole. Hopefully, this fixes the problem and will work and getting hands less behind, less under at A7, suspect adding SS might help. With this move, feel more confident swinging harder. Have been swinging at less than 100% for years now. Still have an extra gear, won't go to it until the shank kinks are out.

Shank almost

Better

Face is open as well.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Not good, as Johnny Miller would say, Yowza!

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 10.09.36 AM.png

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I like the turn through the ball better here but ball flight is too low. Wonder if hanging on with the wrists too much. 

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Took another lesson with JT, new piece is L shoulder down at 4ish, feel more turning around head, even feeling more forward, also worked on flighting the ball down for those low punch shots because wayward drives. tl;dr is more around. Swing below coming in a little too shallow, left too?

Bought Mevo, Snell balls (forgot to bring Pro V1s), demo'd MP-53, MP-18 and my own AP1 714 7 iron and... inconclusive. Need to bring Mevo more often to practice, kind of forgot about it. Forgot how hard blades were to hit, don't like the 18s. Got most spin from AP1 and 53, 7,000ish, but that's max. Need to establish baseline for AP1s with Mevo. Seeing the numbers even more reminds me of just how inconsistent my swing is. Kind of forgot my pass to the store existed, nice to practice indoors with the AC going.

This is the MP-18, 162 yards, 5800 rpms, 17.8* launch, 113 ball speed. Definitely got this a little thin, but height says 29. Maybe should have bought the stickers. Like the 53 though.

Steve