IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

20 minutes ago, colin007 said:

How long is that driver? It looks like it's at least 48"....

Hmmm? What's this supposed to do?

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

How long is that driver? It looks like it's at least 48"....

Hmmm? What's this supposed to do?

If I measured it correctly, it's actually a half inch shorter than the standard 44. I'm 5' 10". Well, maybe add 1/2 inch.

With regards to the hovering, I find on like maybe a quarter of the swings I make, I unconsciously lift the driver head up before taking it back. I'll give it a try next time out.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

21 hours ago, billchao said:

And what about lining up off the toe? How does that help?

Driver is my nemesis, I need all the help I can get

Colin P.

1 minute ago, colin007 said:

And what about lining up off the toe? How does that help?

Driver is my nemesis, I need all the help I can get

Same basic thing. Hover your driver head with the ball lined up with the sweet spot. Now let your arms down and sole it. It’s lined up more towards the toe.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, billchao said:

Same basic thing. Hover your driver head with the ball lined up with the sweet spot. Now let your arms down and sole it. It’s lined up more towards the toe.

Hmm....ima hafta check this ish out

Colin P.

The even worse driver problem is the terrible pivot heel hit. First video, this is the swing I regress to when I try to swing hard, too much arms/hands, no turn, give up on the shot towards the end. Second video is the correction, exaggeration, awkward follow through, no extension at the end. The following swings get better and then the last swing, no sticks. I think after the correction swing, I regress, rotate less and less with each swing. But going back to using the sticks, I think it has helped the pivot in terms of getting around better, full turn, without falling to the right (ball side) at the end of the swing.

Last swing in real time. Just a tad towards the heel. I can think of a lot of things I'd like to do better, head is moving around like crazy, can get butt more on the wall going down, in general can do more "eat the ball", can be more rotated at 6 and 7, more extension post impact, and all that at a faster speed, but I get this is going to be a marathon. All the above swings are at a very controlled speed, not slow enough to make the swing contrived, not fast enough so that things go pear shaped.

Mid irons more manageable than driver. 6 iron after making 5 swings using the sticks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Usually break something, the PVC, once in awhile so that I carry spares in car. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

The sticks are helping I think.

Steve

Experimented with pool noodle. Tried it behind hands parallel to target line and I didn't like it although could see the benefit. The same way I don't like the alignment stick to make me "go under", it makes my takeaway low and then I pick up the club and go across the line at 4. Placed noodle at a 45 degree angle and it didn't make me think about the takeaway while giving me a visual cue to "go under" the plane.

Steve

• Administrator
On 8/6/2020 at 1:31 PM, nevets88 said:

The sticks are helping I think.

They are.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Project driver continues. I am now seeing more evidently when I take away the sticks, the swing is much less... hard to pick a word, disciplined, key #4 is all over the place. Will try and swing harder with the sticks in place, was reluctant to do so before.

Steve

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Project driver continues. I am now seeing more evidently when I take away the sticks, the swing is much less... hard to pick a word, disciplined, key #4 is all over the place. Will try and swing harder with the sticks in place, was reluctant to do so before.

The movement just isn’t baked in yet. You should probably picture the sticks still being there when you take them away. The idea after all would be to make your stick  swings without the sticks being there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

The movement just isn’t baked in yet. You should probably picture the sticks still being there when you take them away. The idea after all would be to make your stick  swings without the sticks being there.

Agree - the problem is when I take the sticks away is - I think I'm out of jail, go nuts, which is not the right frame of mind.

Steve

11 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Agree - the problem is when I take the sticks away is - I think I'm out of jail, go nuts, which is not the right frame of mind.

I find this takes practice too. At the range, I’ll work with alignment sticks, then I will do a few shots without them visualizing they are still there. At the course, the same thing. Visualize they are there at set up.

• Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Typical progression.

After hitting like half a dozen drivers with the sticks, swing hard. All sorts of things not crazy about, but need to learn to swing hard.

First swing w/o sticks. Doh, too armsy handsy trail arm extended way too much too soon. Not great golf instincts. Almost a total whiff.

Not discouraged though, know the "fix". Rotate. Turn into lead arm. Imagine sticks are there. Transition is losey goosey though. Contact towards heel. When swinging hard, overcompensating for over the top tendency at transition by exaggerating shallowing.

Last swing of the day. Transition cleaner.

Project driver no shank continues.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Steve

I think this might help me. may try it. Right hip/knee tends to go towards ball. I think getting the pivot less heading towards ball and right hip more going with left hip, more turning in place rather than turning towards the ball.

Steve

Trying to make on course swing look like range swing, course swing backswing is lower, longer, across line at 4, less shallowing. Still apprehensive of shanks so funky stuff going on with hips and hands. Terrible camera angles, lazy w/placement, don't wanna deal with that while playing.

Approach in rough 1 yard from green 20 feet to pin, chipped to <1 foot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Took a lesson worked on backswing, Key #4 and more importantly pivot and weight shift. Looking forward to working on the new pieces.

Steve