IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

Sent in a bunch of of swings last lesson and this is the one Brian liked best. Arms and hips are most in sync of the bunch. There's a little early extension, back retraction around impact, but won't worry about that - arms & hips in sync, compress into ground should take care  of it. Starting to swing more freely than manipulatively/contrived I think because combining rotation and weight forward better or at least 5/10 vs 3/10. Getting that old SnT too lateral no rotation out of the system more and more.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Trying get get arms going faster. A little too shallow(?) in the dtl vid.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

18 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Trying get get arms going faster. A little too shallow(?) in the dtl vid.

Looking good Steve. It's okay to exaggerate the positions in practice. On the course, they may not be as exaggerated. I'm am still working on the flatter shaft at A5. What feel did you use on this?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

15 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Looking good Steve. It's okay to exaggerate the positions in practice. On the course, they may not be as exaggerated. I'm am still working on the flatter shaft at A5. What feel did you use on this?

It's basically the move @iacas and @pcombs21 showed me, bring it to the top, down a little, then shallow like mad. But it doesn't exist in isolation. It took awhile to have this move "make" me stay in inclination A4 onwards. Before, would retract the back. Still do but less. Now, getting more instinctual to go down to the ball. When the shallow is good, and don't stay in inclination, will swing right over the ball, have to go down to it. Another problem with this is you can get so infatuated with the down, you forget the up, do it in extreme, you are Mr. Havershamp, Havercamp, whatever camp. 

Steve

Steve, how has your index gone from 10 to 20 over the course of this swing thread? Sorry if you've answered this question before. 

Constantine

6 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Steve, how has your index gone from 10 to 20 over the course of this swing thread? Sorry if you've answered this question before. 

Yes, I barely played last year - but was a range rat and busy. I lost the instinct to play I guess, but feeling good about the swing this year, will get out more and am confident "playing" golf will come back, like riding a bike. 

Steve

Just now, nevets88 said:

Yes, I barely played last year - range rat and busy. I lost the instinct to play I guess, but feeling good about the swing this year, will get out more and am confident "playing" golf will come back, like riding a bike. 

Yea, that's what I figured. Wasn't sure though if it was that, or if you were coming off a major injury or something. 

Yea, I would imagine you will get it back pretty quickly if you could fit in like 2-3 rounds a week on average this season, but it can be impossible to find the time for that sometimes. 

Constantine

14 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

It's basically the move @iacas and @pcombs21 showed me, bring it to the top, down a little, then shallow like mad. But it doesn't exist in isolation. It took awhile to have this move "make" me stay in inclination A4 onwards. Before, would retract the back. Still do but less. Now, getting more instinctual to go down to the ball. When the shallow is good, and don't stay in inclination, will swing right over the ball, have to go down to it. Another problem with this is you can get so infatuated with the down, you forget the up, do it in extreme, you are Mr. Havershamp, Havercamp, whatever camp. 

Thanks Steve.

Scott

My Swing Thread

21 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Yea, that's what I figured. Wasn't sure though if it was that, or if you were coming off a major injury or something. 

Yea, I would imagine you will get it back pretty quickly if you could fit in like 2-3 rounds a week on average this season, but it can be impossible to find the time for that sometimes. 

Also the accumulated years of experience of living in a high density area with few (public) courses, the logistics always being a pain, left me with more distaste for making the effort to get out and play than love of golf. Just wore me out.

It's not like I haven't been urged by my instructors to play. I felt extremely guilty when I told Preston how little I play. 

Steve

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Also the accumulated years of experience of living in a high density area with few (public) courses, the logistics always being a pain, left me with more distaste for making the effort to get out and play than love of golf. Just wore me out.

It's not like I haven't been urged by my instructors to play. I felt extremely guilty when I told Preston how little I play. 

No that makes sense to me. I'm sure the crowded courses in your area bring more headache than fun in a lot of ways. I hope you get more opportunities to play this season because the swing obviously looks a lot better than a 20. 

Constantine

1 hour ago, JetFan1983 said:

No that makes sense to me. I'm sure the crowded courses in your area bring more headache than fun in a lot of ways. I hope you get more opportunities to play this season because the swing obviously looks a lot better than a 20. 

Thanks! Will work on that.

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Thanks Steve.

Slight correction - when the shallow is overdone  - then the tendency is to swing over the ball. or thin it, or even a shank.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Working to sync upper and lower halves, to keep hips more "under", hands coming down faster. Regressed a little trying to do so while swinging slower, the slower the swing, the more the lower body got ahead.

Brian said it would feel like squatting, to keep the right knee in place on the DS or something like that. Even though I was thinking it, it wouldn't happen, so resorted to extremes. What's even more extreme? To imagine the trail knee externally rotating on the downswing. Trying to feel the squat, keeping the right hip in place as well on the DS. This helped a tiny smidgen, but feel like on the right track now, can try the right knee external feel even more. Right heel sticking to the ground a bit much, but should be able to get to let that heel go off after getting the hips more "under". Something funky with the wrist and the left elbow on the dtl video around A9, but that should resolve itself once the pivot is better.

Difference is very slight, but think the hips are less out in front in the right photo.

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 8.59.16 PM.png

Steve

14 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Working to sync upper and lower halves, to keep hips more "under", hands coming down faster. Regressed a little trying to do so while swinging slower, the slower the swing, the more the lower body got ahead.

Brian said it would feel like squatting, to keep the right knee in place on the DS or something like that. Even though I was thinking it, it wouldn't happen, so resorted to extremes. What's even more extreme? To imagine the trail knee externally rotating on the downswing. Trying to feel the squat, keeping the right hip in place as well on the DS. This helped a tiny smidgen, but feel like on the right track now, can try the right knee external feel even more.

I've been working on the same thing actually. The biggest thing for me is to feel that right hip ER as the trigger for the downswing instead of sliding the hips. It almost feels like my right leg is the axis of my hip rotation in the downswing.

I've used the feel of keeping the flex in my right knee the same throughout the swing the same, too. I can't use the squat feel because I will actually squat and drop my entire upper body down.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, billchao said:

I've been working on the same thing actually. The biggest thing for me is to feel that right hip ER as the trigger for the downswing instead of sliding the hips. It almost feels like my right leg is the axis of my hip rotation in the downswing.

I've used the feel of keeping the flex in my right knee the same throughout the swing the same, too. I can't use the squat feel because I will actually squat and drop my entire upper body down.

Perhaps we learned the weight forward key, took it to task, too well? I was afraid of not doing it enough, that I overdid it. Or maybe it's the timing of it. Like instead of tick-tock ... w e i g h t  f o r w a r d  g o, it's tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock ... weightforwardgo! With the squat feel, I don't "jump up" fast enough post impact.

Steve

27 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Perhaps we learned the weight forward key, took it to task, too well? I was afraid of not doing it enough, that I overdid it. Or maybe it's the timing of it. Like instead of tick-tock ... w e i g h t  f o r w a r d  g o, it's tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock ... weightforwardgo! With the squat feel, I don't "jump up" fast enough post impact.

I don't know how you picked it up, but I've always had an issue with firing muscles out of sequence instead of in sync, even in other sports I've played. If I had to identify a reason for it, it's probably a combination of using equipment that was too big and heavy for me (I was a pretty small kid - didn't hit my growth spurt until senior year in HS) and not being taught how to properly throw a ball or swing a bat or something like that.

So take that natural tendency to use my lower body to drag my upper body through a motion and combine it the misconception that I should start the downswing with my lower body, start the hips before the arms finish the backswing, or some other crap like that and it's not surprising that I make that move the way I do.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Still trying to keep hips "under me", doing some funky things in the process, but ball flight is better, more consistent when the lower and upper body is in sync. Need to get to the followthrough better among other things.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Drill to stop thinking out the swing during the swing, turn brain off. Still trying to get the hang of it, it's steep, but working on decent contact and flight first.

Steve

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Drill to stop thinking out the swing during the swing, turn brain off. Still trying to get the hang of it, it's steep, but working on decent contact and flight first.

Cool.

Scott

My Swing Thread