IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

Trying holistically to do everything from past lessons. Keep BS in check, no overhinging, Shallow from 4, pivot, arms straight. A little monkey (chunky monkey), but looks like overall doing a semblance of all the bits attempted. Lines were from a previous lesson, too lazy to ask Golftec staff to fix.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Arms straight after 7, more in front rather than left across body. Cover ball, hips not pushing left up and forward enough. Feeling face open on BS, then motorcycle on way down, unhinge at 6 really helping with shallowing on way down, even a little before it. Feeling face open can lead to over hinging though. The more unhinging, not hinging, at 6, feeling clubhead away from body, the more the club shallows from around 6. Need to carry the good stuff being set up on the BS into the pivot, work on pivot. Golftec setup, DTL and FO views at the same time is really helpful with feel ain't real.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

2016 notes:

Better at shallowing from A3.75 - A5, feel is less "floppy wrists", club head far away from body, wrists massively unhinged near end of BS. Around 3.5, feel is going from steep shaft to shallow shaft while extending right wrist/bowing left wrist and unhinging, club head "staying on the wall".

Pivot tendencies from A4 on is to collapse right side, hips get too ahead and fat it. Need to cover ball, no head backing up, while keeping club head "behind", more R elbow bend, sit into ground, then hips forward, left and up - usually not enough up. Feel arms straighten a little after turn, o/w shank. Tendency also is for arms to pull across after A7, feel arms more in front and higher. Work on this in 2017.

Also figured out to get rid of the float loadyness of wrists at ~A4, the "last minute" extra hinge by making the hands "go" to target from A4 a hair earlier. Thinking this might make swing more consistent. When doing this, the tendency is for the shaft to steepen, feeling right wrist extension fixes that.

Steve

Worked w/pro on getting the hands more in on backswing, hit it pretty well on the range, but lose the flow practicing solo, trying to get top and bottom to match up, continue working on getting pivot to be more "not think", just go.

Way too much shallow, screws everything else up. Arms go around too much.

Steve

A turn off the brain swing, do more of these and less "figuring things out" you idiot. Getting used to more hands in.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Getting better at the pivot, could rotate hips more around and up sooner after A7, maybe a little more arms in front. More L arm to chest here than previous video, in that one, arms going out too fast. Lines were drawn by person before me, didn't bother to erase. Still have tendency to rotate the hips too soon, right tilt, leave the upper half behind, fat city, usually thinking let arms go first, exaggerate shallow, while "locking" right knee around A4, then fast hips fixes it. Also noticed sometimes steepen club too early, around A6.

Steve

Better hip action here I think. Arms still wiping across the body post impact, will have to work on that later.

Steve

Instructor said to feel more extension of back from A1 to A4, like straightening up the right side. Initially was letting the hips turn too much, once that was better synced up, made better swings. Have been not swinging very hard for awhile, throwing in harder passes at the ball now. Was resigned to accept lower swing speeds, but got 86mph on this 7I, which is a little steep around A6, thus the 30 yards right, happy still have decent speed, can probably swing a little harder. A little more shallow and a little more motorcycle should straighten that out. Still swiping across the body post impact, looks ugly, but that will have to come later. Instructor says can still get a little more extension than this, so will work on that.

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 12.43.30 PM.png

Steve

Incorporating more extension of the spine, "taller" from A1 to A4. Key #1 is better, head used to tilt and go forward from the get go, there's less of it and backswing at A4 looks better too but coming down is awkward because feeling at A4 is so weird, feels like there's more torque to be unwound, so from A4 not as freewheeling because too cautious on the DS, not sure what to do w/all that windup, first video, arms not straightening, wipey chicken wingy, tried to straighten arms in next video, still looks funny, suspect when used to new A4 feel, downswing will look more free flowing. Will put more into hips up and around next time.

Think this is the best BS has ever looked and hitting this A4 more consistently.

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 12.02.44 PM.png

Have really gained perspective over the last year how much control good players have over their body movements, especially from a non-athlete's perspective.

Steve

Same stuff, trying to get more extension on BS, this time more focus on key #1, head still. Head still wobbly, but less than before. Edit: OK, not good, texted pro video, instructor says needs more turn and extension and that should make arms higher. Back to the drawing board. Golf is hard. I think I just don't like feeling that stretch at the top, it feels powerful, but out of control.

Steve

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Same stuff, trying to get more extension on BS, this time more focus on key #1, head still. Head still wobbly, but less than before. Edit: OK, not good, texted pro video, instructor says needs more turn and extension and that should make arms higher. Back to the drawing board. Golf is hard. I think I just don't like feeling that stretch at the top, it feels powerful, but out of control.

I don't agree. I don't think you want to add more extension. I think you can let the right elbow come off your body a bit more, and turn a bit more, and that's about all I'd worry about.

Then I'd speed up and add more snap and power to the downswing.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Agree with @iacas. You look as extended as you need to be here. Turn more, let the left knee move more "inward" (to your right) and let the elbow come off the torso. That'll give you more range of motion which I think is where your instructor is going with recommending more extension. 

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 2.50.18 PM.png

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't agree. I don't think you want to add more extension. I think you can let the right elbow come off your body a bit more, and turn a bit more, and that's about all I'd worry about.

Then I'd speed up and add more snap and power to the downswing.

24 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Agree with @iacas. You look as extended as you need to be here. Turn more, let the left knee move more "inward" (to your right) and let the elbow come off the torso. That'll give you more range of motion which I think is where your instructor is going with recommending more extension. 

Thanks! Seeing that right elbow stick out - something seemed "wrong" about that. I would be glad to let that elbow come off the body, that swing felt "off". Was initially turning the hips too much and thus locking that left knee to keep from overturning so I guess I overdid it.

Steve

Feeling more turn here (lots more of a stretch), still afraid to "snap" coming down, can definitely get the hip going more up and left after impact. Forgot to move the DTL camera to the left, not a great DTL angle. Head goes forward in the beginning again, but think I can get it more still and integrate it w/more turn in next session, will fool around with neck tilts/shift/swivel. Pro is happy w/this, so will keep on this track, thanks @iacas, @mvmac.

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 12.57.53 PM.png

Steve

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Yep those look better!

Agreed!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

Yep those look better!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Agreed!

Thanks! Doesn't feel comfortable right now, so must be doing something different, will work on getting the feeling ingrained.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I had some free time today and I read through a bunch of this thread to get some inspiration for my own improvement and to see what people are working on.  I just wanted to say that you've made a ton of progress and your swing looks really good.  It seems like you can be hard on yourself at times, which definitely has helped you improve, but I think you should also balance it out by appreciating your progress and enjoying how you can swing the club now.  It's very impressive.