IGNORED

MP-33 loft alterations

Note: This thread is 4009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am going to get my new to me MP-33s spec'd out for lie and loft. They come with the standard DGS300 shaft. I am wondering if I would benefit from stronger lofts, roughly adding 2° to PW thru 6 iron and 1° to the 5 thru 2 iron to match my current I10 setup. I would like to pay for this once so any personal experience with using clubs like this is welcomed.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Be aware that strengthening the lofts of the clubs will reduce the bounce by the same amount. The MP-33s have between 3 and 5 degrees of bounce according to the specs.

How much that will affect how the clubs interact with the ground will probably depend a bit on your swing.

Personally I'd want a pretty good reason before I'd go messing with the way the clubs were designed. If it's just that you don't want to hit your 5 irons shorter than you used to, well I'd say you'll quickly adjust.

I know about the bounce change. I know it it would be a loss of more than what I normally hit. I don't know if it would affect my shots. Supposedly the "digger" style swing is affected adversely with the loss of bounce. I would say that I do like to take a solid divot so it could affect me. I know that the blades have a lower launch so the distance may not be affected much however I normally hit a high ball. That may also exaggerated with my current CB irons and flimsy for me shafts. I will probably get them checked and brought to stock specs if needed and go from there unless info is proven otherwise.

Originally Posted by Mordan

Personally I'd want a pretty good reason before I'd go messing with the way the clubs were designed. If it's just that you don't want to hit your 5 irons shorter than you used to, well I'd say you'll quickly adjust.

I just wanted to create less of a learning curve on club distance but I am planning going out on my home course late evening and hit five balls, each marked differently to know which were hit "flush" to get my distances.

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I just wanted to create less of a learning curve on club distance but I am planning going out on my home course late evening and hit five balls, each marked differently to know which were hit "flush" to get my distances.

The lengths are different too. And you didn't mention if you have the same shafts in your i10s but even if they're the same there's every chance that you'll still launch them a little differently anyway.

Just take them out on the course and you'll pretty quickly realise if you hit them a little shorter or longer than your i10s.

Quote:

The lengths are different too. And you didn't mention if you have the same shafts in your i10s but even if they're the same there's every chance that you'll still launch them a little differently anyway.

Just take them out on the course and you'll pretty quickly realise if you hit them a little shorter or longer than your i10s.

Length wise the PW is the only difference by .25", with the MP-33 shorter. The shafts are different but I was planning on switching the shafts on these anyway. I have very high launching AWT shafts in the pings and S300 in the MP-33s. I was told I needed X100s but I will wait and see how the ball flight goes. If I am happy with blades I may go to a MP-69 or the 713's late summer.

Length wise the PW is the only difference by .25", with the MP-33 shorter. The shafts are different but I was planning on switching the shafts on these anyway. I have very high launching AWT shafts in the pings and S300 in the MP-33s. I was told I needed X100s but I will wait and see how the ball flight goes. If I am happy with blades I may go to a MP-69 or the 713's late summer.

Ha, I only checked the PW and assumed there would be a difference through the set.

If you're ballooning shots with the i10s then you'll probably find you gain back any distance lost due to loft and maybe some more as well with the MP-33s.

Quote:

Ha, I only checked the PW and assumed there would be a difference through the set.

If you're ballooning shots with the i10s then you'll probably find you gain back any distance lost due to loft and maybe some more as well with the MP-33s.

That is what I was hoping for. I am excited to find out.

Note: This thread is 4009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!